Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Both ends of the spectrum on car salesmen

Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Both ends of the spectrum on car salesmen

Well, I posted here a while back about getting my order in on a new '08 Vette. To keep it short, the sales guy jacked my order up and then tried to get me to buy it with less of a discount than we had originally agreed to up front. There was no deposit nor was there a confirmed sales order. He basically told me that he would order the car and if I wanted it when it came in, I could buy it. I decided I didn't. It had all red interior, dual-mode exhaust (I want aftermarket loud all the time), and glass top (nice, but I don't want to spend the $750 extra).

So, I had a lead a while back on an '08 Coupe with only 500 miles on it. It was owned a rich guy who bores of cars easily and just wasn't driving it (he had several other cars). I was negotiating with him to buy it and before he got my last email agreeing to buy it, he had decided to sell it back to the the dealership he bought it from. This guy told me to call the dealership he bought the car from (and also sold it back to them) and speak with the owner. It's a small town dealership that apparently moves a lot of cars because they are a no BS, low overhead, closes at 6pm kind of dealership.

Well, I called and got the owner on the phone in less than a minute. We talk for about 4 minutes about ordering a brand new Corvette and he throws out some really good numbers. I thank him and tell him I'll call him back. I speak with the wife, call the owner back, and in less than 3 minutes, we have a deal. He faxes me the completed order form, I sign it, fax it back, call in my credit card number for a $400 deposit and he says I'll have the car is 30-45 days.

It was the easiest, most refreshing car buying experience I've ever had. He promised me that the rest of the transaction will go as smoothly as it has so far. He's an older, Texas gentleman, soft spoken, no BS, just shoots straight to the bottom. I know because I've been in the market for a couple months and have been all over Corvetteform, ebay, cars.com, local dealerships, etc.

Anyway, I'll post pics when I get it. I'm really excited now, since I have a confirmed sales order and deposit on my next Vette.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. What color is it? pictures?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Same thing happen to me on the C6 last year. We agreed on a price (GM certificate) but when I went down there to get it they changed the price of the car, I haggled to get back close to what was originally promised. I came close but it wasn't the same. I got so tired of dealing with them I was willing to pay a little extra to get it over with. When the finance guy pulled the same shit I walked and let them know I'd never be back. Slim shady experience.

Before I got the S2000 I had originally ordered a G35c. They jacked up my order like they did you, and tried to get me to buy the car anyway. It had just reached the port in LA when I found out the news. I walked and won't buy an Infiniti product, ever

Congrats on finding the car.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused. Why 30-45 days? Didn't the dealership buy the car back? Don't they have it now? Anyway, maybe my reading comprehension sucks. Nonetheless, congrats. What color and options?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing that original 500 mile corvette was no longer available, but that was just the reference for the dealership referral.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Congrats!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohnston,Dec 18 2007, 05:49 PM
I'm confused. Why 30-45 days? Didn't the dealership buy the car back? Don't they have it now? Anyway, maybe my reading comprehension sucks.
Nope...I think you read it right...may be more of an issue on _how_ it was written.

Congrats on your new car! Indeed, it's unfortunate how many _BAD_ car salesmen exist leaving a bad impression and nonetheless, the stigma of car salesmen exists.

Post pics when your car arrives.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Congratulations!!!!! Sounds like you got a great deal. Can't wait to hear your review....what a great Xmas present.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats
Old 12-19-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Both ends of the spectrum on car salesmen