Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

bmw problems

Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bmw problems

i am on lease for another year in my 2013 bmw 335i 6 sp manual sedan. I have experienced an intermittent problem, no I don't think it is the fuel pump. I have gone on the forum for BMW and see others have this issue or something similar to it. I have not found a solution other than to buy a tune for the car which I don't want to do.

Problem...can happen any time during warm up or going up(up or down hill) an on ramp during warm up cycle, about 5 min after start. Car goes into a "limp mode" cannot accelerate over 40 mph no matter what gear, or which selection I am in (sport, sport +, etc). Only way to deal with this is pull over and restart, then it is fine.

Been to the two dealers within 25 miles. They both took a different approach, dealer #1 re-flashed the computer, no fix. dealer #2 kept it twice for a week driving it several times...no fix either. It has happened about 7 times in 11,000 miles and there is no common variable except it's during warm up cycle, about 5 min into the drive, maybe as long as 10 min, so car is not really cold, the temp gunge is at different numbers as well.

several error codes not related to anything they can pin down.....i hate this.

any ideas? BMW corporate:"we believe you since...BUT since we cannot reproduce it take a video when it happens again and there is no problem unless we can reproduce it" I am not taking a video while pulled over on the freeway on ramp!

Nobody knows nothing! started when the car had 9,000 on it and now it has 21,000.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd say that's a pretty serious safety issue. That really sucks. Have you considered talking to a lawyer? That Steve Lehto guy that's always on Jalopnik might be a place to start.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the legal thought, i just want a fix if one is known, the car is really worth keeping till end or lease and I don't need legal representation to get out of it...i can just sell it to a wholesaler adn move on...but I am thinking about a car that is not out yet so I can wait.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I think its a bit premature to call a lawyer. As soon as you do that, both sides do that and nothing happens.

Ever worked in any sort of job where you have to repair things? Nothing like a customer bringing you car exhibiting no symptoms and then whining and crying lawyer because you cant fix a non existent issue. What do you think a lawyer is going to do at this point? If they simply refused to troubleshoot at all then I could see it. But finding an issue that happens in over 1000 miles each time is a bit tough unless you are willing to let them keep your car and drive it a couple of thousand miles until it happens again.

You have to understand that if a car is not producing symptoms and no codes are set, you have almost nothing to go by. I would push back a little and say when it happens again, you will call THEM and they can send a tow truck to pick up and provide you a loaner while they look into it. They have kept it and driven it a decent amount to troubleshoot, but that would probably be a better bet on them finding the problem. Otherwise you can simply try to push them to trade it for a different car and keep the car long term until they can fix it.

Hard to say what is causing it. If it were going into an actual "limp in" mode it would set a code. So something is happening that the ECU is not seeing apparently. That makes it harder to diagnose when it is not occurring.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM

the last time was months ago, perhaps a year....there were codes we talked about . they did not feel they were relavant to any limp mode issues. I think it is in the temp sensor as it happens when cold or during warm up. its a hard thing to figure!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Really only way to do it with an intermittent problem is that when it happens you take it straight to the dealer so they can see the symptom, or capture it on your phone. Because it's intermittent, I'm sure it's electrical, but until they experience it they won't be able to troubleshoot and solve it.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with this guy ^^^^^

Next time it happens drive the car straight to the dealer, don't reset it. Or take a video on your phone. BMW will make it right.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Easier said than done, imagine, you are on an onramp, accelerating and then it becomes gutless and will not go past 40, so....it is crawling on the freeway for 25 miles....not! the iphone camera, which may be some sort of good idea, is not, when this happens I am arms and elbows trying not to get rear ended and pull over safely....

its a problem i am living with , just thought if others had this experience there maybe a cure, certainly it's not the bmw company or their service people.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
Easier said than done, imagine, you are on an onramp, accelerating and then it becomes gutless and will not go past 40, so....it is crawling on the freeway for 25 miles....not! the iphone camera, which may be some sort of good idea, is not, when this happens I am arms and elbows trying not to get rear ended and pull over safely....

its a problem i am living with , just thought if others had this experience there maybe a cure, certainly it's not the bmw company or their service people.
My M3 had something similar, threw an increased emissions warning and SES light and went into limp mode. Was able to get off the highway and limp it to the dealer. I would find another dealer and also contact BMW NA to let them know of your issue. If the local techs can't figure it out they can send out a more experienced field tech to diagnose. They may buy the car back if it can't get resolved.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I think its a bit premature to call a lawyer. As soon as you do that, both sides do that and nothing happens.

Ever worked in any sort of job where you have to repair things? Nothing like a customer bringing you car exhibiting no symptoms and then whining and crying lawyer because you cant fix a non existent issue. What do you think a lawyer is going to do at this point? If they simply refused to troubleshoot at all then I could see it. But finding an issue that happens in over 1000 miles each time is a bit tough unless you are willing to let them keep your car and drive it a couple of thousand miles until it happens again.

You have to understand that if a car is not producing symptoms and no codes are set, you have almost nothing to go by. I would push back a little and say when it happens again, you will call THEM and they can send a tow truck to pick up and provide you a loaner while they look into it. They have kept it and driven it a decent amount to troubleshoot, but that would probably be a better bet on them finding the problem. Otherwise you can simply try to push them to trade it for a different car and keep the car long term until they can fix it.

Hard to say what is causing it. If it were going into an actual "limp in" mode it would set a code. So something is happening that the ECU is not seeing apparently. That makes it harder to diagnose when it is not occurring.

Presumably the car is under warranty. I can sympathize with the dealership and I understand how tricky it must be for them to diagnose an intermittent problem, but this is an issue that can have dire consequences. I'd leave the car with them and tell them to drive it until they see the problem and can fix it. If they can't do so, it's lawyer time. Also, you are patently mistaken as to the options available to an attorney who is well versed in consumer protection laws. Our friend here should certainly exercise some diligence in the interest of exhausting all reasonable methods first. But if the dealership (as an agent of the manufacturer) can't fix it in the near future, he needs to seek recourse in some fashion. Also, all your points about customers complaining about lawyers to service writers is a red herring. That's not what I'm suggesting that he do. His beef would be with the manufacturer, not the dealership. Further, his problems have merit unlike a customer who is just venting or overstating their supposed rights.

Quick Reply: bmw problems