Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M2

Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Chris Stack' timestamp='1460666040' post='23938370
Seriously dude? It's the same damn car with an upgraded drivetrain. Is your ego really this fragile that you have a hard time with that?
Drivetrain, 99% different suspension, body work, wheels/tires, brakes, diff/drive shaft, interior. At what point is it a different car? What does this have to do with ego, this is a factual discussion.
Yeah, but you can say the same for the Camaro 2SS versus the base 1LT Camaro 2.0 turbo. Entirely different engine, transmission (8L90), differential, driveshaft, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, interior details/features, etc. Only somewhat similar is bodywork which does delineate from the M3 versus 320i. They body panels are different in several places in the BMW. Then again, what do you expect for $35k versus $80k. That's a $45k different for those good at math. The difference between a base 1LT and 2SS is about $20k.

Both BMW and GM LOVE, LOVE, LOVE people that go for the higher trim models as the profit margins get pretty substantial. Biggest example most likely is comparing a base GM pick-up truck versus an Escalade. A lot of the chassis and hardware is similar, but an Escalade can bang $100k and a base truck is $30k or so. Obviously a ton of trim, body, interior, and other stuff, but not $70k worth.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1460727097' post='23938953
[quote name='Chris Stack' timestamp='1460666040' post='23938370']
Seriously dude? It's the same damn car with an upgraded drivetrain. Is your ego really this fragile that you have a hard time with that?
Drivetrain, 99% different suspension, body work, wheels/tires, brakes, diff/drive shaft, interior. At what point is it a different car? What does this have to do with ego, this is a factual discussion.
Yeah, but you can say the same for the Camaro 2SS versus the base 1LT Camaro 2.0 turbo. Entirely different engine, transmission (8L90), differential, driveshaft, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, interior details/features, etc. Only somewhat similar is bodywork which does delineate from the M3 versus 320i. They body panels are different in several places in the BMW. Then again, what do you expect for $35k versus $80k. That's a $45k different for those good at math. The difference between a base 1LT and 2SS is about $20k.

Both BMW and GM LOVE, LOVE, LOVE people that go for the higher trim models as the profit margins get pretty substantial. Biggest example most likely is comparing a base GM pick-up truck versus an Escalade. A lot of the chassis and hardware is similar, but an Escalade can bang $100k and a base truck is $30k or so. Obviously a ton of trim, body, interior, and other stuff, but not $70k worth.
[/quote]

Base 320i is 35K, base M3 is 63K so it's only a 28K difference not 45K. The only body panels shared on a 3 series and a M3 are the doors and trunk, on the M4 even the trunk isn't shared with the 4 series. The front bumper, front fenders, roof, rear quarter panel, rear bumper, sideskirts are all different. I agree higher model cars do bring higher profit margins because there's more room due to the higher price but there's still a ton of additional R&D and manufacturing/tooling costs when you redesign just about all the major components in the car.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 AM

Cool pictures. Yeah, don't disagree the panels are diff on the 320 v. M3 for sure and not so much on the Camaro. But, it's still a bit disingenuous to think it's a whole different vehicle and not so for the Camaro. They are both highly modified, high performance versions of their respective base platforms.

Anyway, I would drive an M3, but not a 320i and I'd drive a Camaro 2SS and not a base 1LT, so I also don't care so much about the profit margins. Life is too short to not drive something fun.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

[

Oh crap, I wish I had the article, I think it was Jalopnik had a quote from I think it was a Chrysler exec that admitted the difference between a cloth and cheap plastic interior, to one with leather and premium materials was about $35 at the costs they pay.

I also saw an article several years ago that said the marginal cost between building a Cobalt (at the time) and a Tahoe was a couple thousand dollars. Why does GM or other companies push the big SUV's so hard? Because even when they offer $6,000 to $8,000 in rebates, they make way more per unit than they do on a small car. I think that is part of the reason a loaded economy car shot up to near $30k. When gas spiked and SUV sales plunged, they had to get back some of that profit.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1460702405' post='23938721
What's the chassis codes for a 3 series and an m3?
3 series sedan is F30, 3 series wagon is F31, M3 is F80, M4 is F82

Woah that's new. Years past e46, e90, lol. Lets try this again, hey what does the 3 in m3 mean?
Lol let it go man, the m3 is a hopped up 3 series.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Oh crap, I wish I had the article, I think it was Jalopnik had a quote from I think it was a Chrysler exec that admitted the difference between a cloth and cheap plastic interior, to one with leather and premium materials was about $35 at the costs they pay.
I also read many years ago that power windows have actually become cheaper than manual crank windows, especially when factoring in the complication of designing and manufacturing versions of the car with both manual and power windows. However, a handful of car companies at that time still included manual windows in base models, basically trolling people into paying more for the upgraded model (which has higher overall profits).
Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

you guys realize this is a M2 thread right? No one gives a shit about a camaro. Maybe the m3/m4 is a good comparison but camaro... really?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
you guys realize this is a M2 thread right? No one gives a shit about a camaro. Maybe the m3/m4 is a good comparison but camaro... really?
Hell yeah! You can git er dun in the Camaro. The Camaro would stomp a boot-sized mudhole in the rear of the M2 on the street, the track, and the hooch runs late into the night.

You want to outrun Roscoe P. Coltrane, you're going to need the Camaro SS in all it's mullet glory and you're going to need to pass on the Bavarian red-headed illegitimate M-child from an old WW2-era orphanage.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1460736580' post='23939119
Hell yeah! You can git er dun in the Camaro. The Camaro would stomp a boot-sized mudhole in the rear of the M2 on the street, the track, and the hooch runs late into the night.

You want to outrun Roscoe P. Coltrane, you're going to need the Camaro SS in all it's mullet glory and you're going to need to pass on the Bavarian red-headed illegitimate M-child from an old WW2-era orphanage.
lol points for making me laugh
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1460736580' post='23939119

Classic!!

I had a hard time reading this and not having a Larry the Cable Guy accent lol.

Quick Reply: BMW M2