Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M2

Old 04-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by blueprint' timestamp='1460495116' post='23936177
Most people also are not keeping their cars very long these days... Especially BMW/MB owners.
On one hand you have average length of car ownership up to 11 years. On the other you have more people than ever that only lease the latest BMW/Lexus...

Does anybody actually buy a BMW any more?

I bought mine. I planned to keep it for 100,000 miles but that would be ten years as the DD. My plans kind of changed and I may or may not keep it that long depending, but I might swap it for another BMW.

And yes the depreciation part is real, but 95% of domestics depreciate as fast of faster, they just have a lower initial cost.

The reliability stuff is overblown. When you look into some of the data a very large portion of the complaints were idiots who did not know how their tech worked and called it broken because they were clueless. Most owners on Bimmerfest report very good reliability and yes you get the occasional guy with the mystery problem their dealer can't fix. I am only at 22,000 but still not a hiccup.

Just about any car should be pretty solid to 100,000 these days. I could bring up the long term C&D Vette that had a zillion issues, but anecdotes are not data. Everybody knows a guy who knows a guy who had a nightmare BMW. You see a ton of old BMWs running around which should say something.

My dad had one of those Audi A4's which everyone KNOWS is an unreliable car, but he put 96,000 on it with just brakes and tires. Sold it to a son of a coworker of mine who drove it another 30,000 without any issue.

I think half the problem is expensive parts. My friend calls his POS dodge "rock solid" even though it has nickel and dime stuff all the time. Everything on that car goes out but he can go down to the store, find cheap parts and fix it in his driveway. A headlight controller on a 3 series HID auto adjusting light is $600. Somebody replaces one of those and they bitch about it for weeks. My friend may do ten repairs before hitting $600 in parts, but thinks it is dependable even though he is working on it every other weekend. A window switch, a fogged up headlight assembly, leaking window seal, O2 sensor, starter solenoid,warped rotor, stuck caliper, etc etc and he says "No biggie".
Old 04-14-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1460580527' post='23937273
Right. I'm saying that they are "the same car" enough that all of the supposed differences that Cosmos is pointing to are attributable to the stuff that's swappable between the two. Not that it's as simple as changing out some control arms.

We're not talking about a Civic vs. an S2000, here. It's more like a base 911 compared to a 911 GT3. Despite their differences, it's silly to that a regular 911 is somehow a totally different car than a 911 GT3.
Is a Camaro SS basically the same thing as an ATS-V sedan then? They use the same platform/chassis.
They don't use the same chassis. They have a common platform that is tweaked to create a new chassis for each car to suit its purposes. The body is completely different, as is the cabin layout, suspension pickup points, etc, etc. So no, the Camaro SS is not basically the same thing as an ATS-V.

The Golf shares a platform with the Jetta and Passat. It's a shared platform, not a shared chassis. Every chassis design is tweaked for each separate vehicle. They aren't just putting a different body on it.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1460640471' post='23937869
[quote name='Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1460580527' post='23937273']
Right. I'm saying that they are "the same car" enough that all of the supposed differences that Cosmos is pointing to are attributable to the stuff that's swappable between the two. Not that it's as simple as changing out some control arms.

We're not talking about a Civic vs. an S2000, here. It's more like a base 911 compared to a 911 GT3. Despite their differences, it's silly to that a regular 911 is somehow a totally different car than a 911 GT3.
Is a Camaro SS basically the same thing as an ATS-V sedan then? They use the same platform/chassis.
The Golf shares a platform with the Jetta and Passat. It's a shared platform, not a shared chassis. Every chassis design is tweaked for each separate vehicle. They aren't just putting a different body on it.
[/quote]

And you know for a fact the 320i and M3 use the exact shame chassis because you're a BMW engineer?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Seriously dude? It's the same damn car with an upgraded drivetrain. Is your ego really this fragile that you have a hard time with that?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Cosmo, its a 3. Just accept that.

In other news, prescient perhaps but i saw this today -

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...f-lease-volume

BMW is now leasing its CPO cars as well as new, to keep the sales rolling.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I think half the problem is expensive parts. My friend calls his POS dodge "rock solid" even though it has nickel and dime stuff all the time. Everything on that car goes out but he can go down to the store, find cheap parts and fix it in his driveway. A headlight controller on a 3 series HID auto adjusting light is $600. Somebody replaces one of those and they bitch about it for weeks. My friend may do ten repairs before hitting $600 in parts, but thinks it is dependable even though he is working on it every other weekend. A window switch, a fogged up headlight assembly, leaking window seal, O2 sensor, starter solenoid,warped rotor, stuck caliper, etc etc and he says "No biggie".
This is the German reliability problem in a nutshell. They're not bulletproof like Japanese cars but every German car I've owned has been fairly solid-your wallet just hurts when something finally goes.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

What's the chassis codes for a 3 series and an m3?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LolZa Palooza.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
What's the chassis codes for a 3 series and an m3?
3 series sedan is F30, 3 series wagon is F31, M3 is F80, M4 is F82
Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Seriously dude? It's the same damn car with an upgraded drivetrain. Is your ego really this fragile that you have a hard time with that?
The bare stamped metal frame might start off the same but is modified for the M3/M4, also the drivetrain, 99% of suspension components, body work, wheels/tires, brakes, diff/drive shaft, interior. At what point is it a different model car? Is a X3 which uses a 3 series chassis just another trim of a 3 series, is a X1 which uses a 1 series frame just another trim of a 1 series? What does this have to do with ego, this is a factual discussion, you realize I drive a 13 year old E46 330i every day?

Quick Reply: BMW M2