Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M2

Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1460476062' post='23935752
[quote name='Chris Stack' timestamp='1460475451' post='23935731']
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1460475064' post='23935720']
I'm in the same camp where I wouldn't buy a Camaro SS if it was 15K new, it's ugly and has no class at all.
I'm not a huge Camaro fan, but frankly, I think the same about the current BMW M-Cars. Ugly and classless, driven by those interested in showboating and status.

The goofy-ass colors BMW picked for the M3/4 don't help but I personally would not use the word "classless" in the right color. Easter egg blue and metallic snot are not my favorite colors from BMW.

But I am perfectly willing to admit, I am a damn yuppie. I like euro styling, and can even appreciate Caddys. But anything that goes for the "That thing got a Hemi" image from those commercials with the toothless burger flippers I want nothing to do with. Same as I want nothing to do with anything that looks like it stepped out of a Fast and Furious movie.

That may sound snobby, but I work hard for my money as much as the next guy and if I am going to plunk down forty, fifty or sixty thousand for a car, I don't want the one littering trailer parks three years down the road or the one on the "most likely to be repossessed" list.

Funny thing is, I used to be a Japanese car only guy because of the solid product they make. It is now so boring, and has been for so long I won't even walk into a show room.
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA. I don't fully agree (I don't fully disagree), but that was damned funny.
[/quote]

I agree with him. There isn't a Japense car I wan't to buy. German doesn't interest me. I just bought my first domestic recently and I'm fairly impressed.

You can bash on the Camaro interior but it's not longer worlds apart. The BMW is nicer, but even the reviewers are starting to notice BMW isn't THAT FAR above the competitors anymore. I'm not a GM fan, you all know that, but I'd buy the Camaro over the M series cars.

As for all those yoga pants in BMWs. Girl at the gym was asked if that was her van out front she replied "uhh, No! I drive a BMW" and points to it. You see for the average BMW owner the brand is what they're buying. How do I know this? BMW keeps building softer and more watered down cars, yet keeps selling cars. The average person buying their 80-100k cars isn't buying it for driving pleasure. The average 3 series person is buying the cheapest BMW they can get. Most lease because they drop in value like a stone and don't last....

For me it's more about finding what's special. That new GT350 is special and if it had another badge on the car would be twice the price.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1460493325' post='23936142
M3 is built on a 3-Series platform. It's the "same car" the way a Camaro SS and a Camaro 1LT are the same car - same platform, different drivetrain, different suspension, a few other performance upgrades. It's a performance variant of the 3-Series. The Camaro 2SS is a performance variant of the Camaro, and the Z/28 is a higher performance variant.

Same platform, different internals.
Width, height, interior headroom front and rear, Wheel base and overall length on M3 and 320i aren't even the same. It's a similar platform and architecture but not the same platform with just a different drivetrain, suspension and cosmetic upgrades.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx
D'uh. Sorry, but I thought that was implied. The car is not an EXACT REPLICA of a base 3-Series. The upgrades themselves infer some changes had to be made.

But you've ultimately agreed with my point listed - same chassis, different drivetrain, different suspension. The wheelbase is effectively the same (0.7" - wow!) and the bodywork is changed, which gives a difference in length. It's not like they lengthened the actual chassis...

Whoopdy doo. It's the same damn car, for all intents and purposes. It's just been "upgraded". You're still working off the base 3-Series "goodness" (or lack thereof) to make a better car.

Guess what? A Camaro Z/28 has similar differences you've mentioned, when compared with a "common" V6 Camaro. Different suspension, different engine, wider, lower, etc.

Same plank. Different motivation.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

Cosmos, I feel you're being disingenuous about the M3 being a different car. All of the changes in wheelbase and height and all that are attributable to the easily exchangeable parts that make an M car and M car. You can swap the suspension over from the M3 to a regular 3 series and viola you've got the same wheelbase.

I mean, the C7 Z06 has a different track than the base C7, but that doesn't say anything about it being fundamentally different.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Cosmos, I feel you're being disingenuous about the M3 being a different car. All of the changes in wheelbase and height and all that are attributable to the easily exchangeable parts that make an M car and M car. You can swap the suspension over from the M3 to a regular 3 series and viola you've got the same wheelbase.

I mean, the C7 Z06 has a different track than the base C7, but that doesn't say anything about it being fundamentally different.
It's much harder than just swapping the suspension. Every M car drives drastically different than a base 3/5/6 series. If you don't agree you havnt driven them.

I'd also say that the base Camaro drives nothing like SS
Old 04-13-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

It's not about how it drives - it's about the basis for the car.

Of course they don't drive the same - no one would expect them to.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

Right. I'm saying that they are "the same car" enough that all of the supposed differences that Cosmos is pointing to are attributable to the stuff that's swappable between the two. Not that it's as simple as changing out some control arms.

We're not talking about a Civic vs. an S2000, here. It's more like a base 911 compared to a 911 GT3. Despite their differences, it's silly to that a regular 911 is somehow a totally different car than a 911 GT3.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Agree with all your statements regarding Japanese cars... I use to only purchase Japanese cars however their line up leaves much to be desired.

German and Domestic cars are all the rage these days.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Most people also are not keeping their cars very long these days... Especially BMW/MB owners.
On one hand you have average length of car ownership up to 11 years. On the other you have more people than ever that only lease the latest BMW/Lexus...

Does anybody actually buy a BMW any more?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by blueprint' timestamp='1460495116' post='23936177
Most people also are not keeping their cars very long these days... Especially BMW/MB owners.
On one hand you have average length of car ownership up to 11 years. On the other you have more people than ever that only lease the latest BMW/Lexus...

Does anybody actually buy a BMW any more?
I think BMW lease to buy percentage is something like 56% lease 44% buy. I bought my 16 M3 even though the lease residuals were pretty good. Almost every M2 will be bought, the residual is too low to lease and the car will easily out perform the residual.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Right. I'm saying that they are "the same car" enough that all of the supposed differences that Cosmos is pointing to are attributable to the stuff that's swappable between the two. Not that it's as simple as changing out some control arms.

We're not talking about a Civic vs. an S2000, here. It's more like a base 911 compared to a 911 GT3. Despite their differences, it's silly to that a regular 911 is somehow a totally different car than a 911 GT3.
Is a Camaro SS basically the same thing as an ATS-V sedan then? They use the same platform/chassis.

Quick Reply: BMW M2