Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M2

Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Are they at the dealer already? I went by BMW Sudbury, MA over the weekend and they looked to have one on the lost. There's so many BMW models it is hard to keep them straight.
My local dealer had one come off the truck yesterday.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I know Porsche does ED as well, but with the M2 I could do ED in 2017, for the Porsche it would be 2018 at the soonest.
The difference is that you have to pay to do ED with Porsche and with BMW you get a discount to do ED although it isn't as much as it has been in years past.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1460469105' post='23935582
[quote name='blueprint' timestamp='1460430921' post='23935251']
Except visibility.
And the fact you're driving a crappy GM product Performance isn't everything.
You really think BMW has a huge build quality/reliability/quality advantage over the latest generation GM products? I guess that's what you have your hat to hang on when the BMW M4 got pounded by a freaking 2016 Camaro SS in the latest Motor Trend review. At $40k less too. haha.

As I mentioned in the Camaro thread, I drove an 8-speed Camaro SS this weekend and it's the real deal. It's a sports car now trapped in a muscle car body. Besides visibility issues (not as bad as I expected) and a clunky big pair of doors, the car is really, really nice overall. It's drives like an ATS-V with a 455hp small block LT1 V8 for $47k loaded out with magnetic suspension, dual mode exhaust, 2SS package (all the interior goodies), sunroof, and 8-speed clicky smooth fast shifts up and down. I loved it.
[/quote]

You think interior styling, build quality and materials of a Camaro SS is even close to the same league as a M3? Performance wise sure the Camaro is impressive for the price but I don't know about you but 99% of the time I'm not driving my cars balls out. I'm in the same camp where I wouldn't buy a Camaro SS if it was 15K new, it's ugly and has no class at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by hirev' timestamp='1460408117' post='23934920
My understanding is that all the m2 cars are spoken for this year before they were built! I have just ordered a m3 and hope to get it within 90 days, will post a report on it then.
Not true, there are still open allocations that will be available throughout the year. There are even a few HEA launch cars that are available right now.
Yep the one at my local dealer currently is not spoken for.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'm in the same camp where I wouldn't buy a Camaro SS if it was 15K new, it's ugly and has no class at all.
I'm not a huge Camaro fan, but frankly, I think the same about the current BMW M-Cars. Ugly and classless, driven by those interested in showboating and status.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't know why, but I just can't get that excited about it. Whereas I loved the 1M and wished I was in a position to buy one at the time (partly because I KNEW they would go up in value!). I think some of it comes down to the styling. It's not bad, just not... great. To me it's the least-cool-looking M car (SUVs excluded) since... actually, I can't even think of one right now.
Originally Posted by waltk88
I'm not super excited about the M2. It might be because it lacks the visual excitement of the 1-series M. I saw a 1M on the freeway this weekend, and it looked damn cool.
The 1M, Z3 M Coupe, and Z4 M Coupe all look like accidents, but in a cool way. While M3s and M5s have always looked muscular and athletic. Somehow the M2 misses the mark for me. It's not bad... just not great.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1460475064' post='23935720
I'm in the same camp where I wouldn't buy a Camaro SS if it was 15K new, it's ugly and has no class at all.
I'm not a huge Camaro fan, but frankly, I think the same about the current BMW M-Cars. Ugly and classless, driven by those interested in showboating and status.

The goofy-ass colors BMW picked for the M3/4 don't help but I personally would not use the word "classless" in the right color. Easter egg blue and metallic snot are not my favorite colors from BMW.

But I am perfectly willing to admit, I am a damn yuppie. I like euro styling, and can even appreciate Caddys. But anything that goes for the "That thing got a Hemi" image from those commercials with the toothless burger flippers I want nothing to do with. Same as I want nothing to do with anything that looks like it stepped out of a Fast and Furious movie.

That may sound snobby, but I work hard for my money as much as the next guy and if I am going to plunk down forty, fifty or sixty thousand for a car, I don't want the one littering trailer parks three years down the road or the one on the "most likely to be repossessed" list.

Funny thing is, I used to be a Japanese car only guy because of the solid product they make. It is now so boring, and has been for so long I won't even walk into a show room.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack' timestamp='1460475451' post='23935731
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1460475064' post='23935720']

The goofy-ass colors BMW picked for the M3/4 don't help but I personally would not use the word "classless" in the right color. Easter egg blue and metallic snot are not my favorite colors from BMW.[/quote]

It's the horrific front bumpers on the M-cars that does it for me.

But I am perfectly willing to admit, I am a damn yuppie. I like euro styling, and can even appreciate Caddys. But anything that goes for the "That thing got a Hemi" image from those commercials with the toothless burger flippers I want nothing to do with. Same as I want nothing to do with anything that looks like it stepped out of a Fast and Furious movie.

That may sound snobby, but I work hard for my money as much as the next guy and if I am going to plunk down forty, fifty or sixty thousand for a car, I don't want the one littering trailer parks three years down the road or the one on the "most likely to be repossessed" list.

Funny thing is, I used to be a Japanese car only guy because of the solid product they make. It is now so boring, and has been for so long I won't even walk into a show room.
This is where I'm at. Japanese cars are so painfully dull these days, except the ones that are boring AND also heinously ugly (coughLexus). German cars are insanity as far as pricing, and I can't not get all the goodies when I buy (If I have to stare at a giant dash-mounted tablet, it better have a nav system on it), plus they self destruct between 60 and 100k miles. And American cars have that whiff of white trash about them.

It's shallow, but when I'm dropping my daughter off at her preschool and all the other yoga-pants-clad yummy mummys are getting in and out of MB/BMW/Lexus SUVs, I can feel like my aging 4y/o TSX is at least sorta in the mix, at least I'm not the dad dropping his kid off in the Civic Si or F-250 (both are present, and nice dudes).

I'm torn between going uber-yuppie with a Model 3, saying F It I'm Having Fun with a Mustang GT (in a muted color), and being boring as hell with another stupid Acura.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack

Ha ha. Oh yeah, forgot about those hulking square intakes at the lower corners. Hideous.

I'd live with them on an M2 though. The smaller proportions of the car make it just barely acceptable to me.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack' timestamp='1460477224' post='23935790

Ha ha. Oh yeah, forgot about those hulking square intakes at the lower corners. Hideous.
"Let's cut a giant hole and then fill it with misshapen appendages!

Quick Reply: BMW M2