Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW M2

Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

It's like most of you guys have no clue how cars are made. Haha. Are we going to have to go component by component?

We get it. They put more love into the M cars. Guess what, the 997 911 Turbo has a different engine and it's AWD and it has different fenders than the a base 911. ZOMG!!! It's a different car!!!

Seriously, guys. Jeez.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Im a huge fan of the current F80 M3. The M2 looks solid though!!

My brother in law was trying to get one to replace his s2000 (father to be, need bigger car) but with the demand he was not able to get one so both of us have an F80 M3 on order.

He got the white this time with 6MT tranny. I ended up doing a special order for a Dakar M3 Competition package, but otherwise a "stripper" model as well.

The new M3 ticks all the right boxes for me since it has amazing interior cabin space and fun to drive. My kids go pretty much everywhere with me these days so having a 2-seater car is really useless 99% of the time. All of them sit covered in the garage so this M3 is a very welcomed addition to our stable.

I would think the M2 and GT4 from Porsche are pretty close competitors but frankly I don't like the M2 - reminds me of the older BMW hatches but that's just me. I'm sure many would disagree which is fine.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I have been seriously considering pulling the trigger on one but have not even looked into availability yet. I emailed my salesman a few weeks ago to see if they had any cars not spoken for but he never responded.

I am in my busy period at work for the next couple weeks but if there is a decent ED deal to be had for late fall I may buy one. If none are available this year then I might consider it next year, but would probably turn my attention to Caymans. GT4 is too rich for my blood. The reason M2's are so appealing to me is they seem to offer some good performance for the money and there are no boxes left to check. The Cayman S to me is getting pretty steep, but the car comes with nothing on it. It would be nice if they put in a decent stereo and full leather package for $65k, but sadly, no dice.

The interior on the M2 is pretty cheap for the money, but I like the looks of the car.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

If I could get an M2 for sticker without allocation issues, I'd seriously consider it. It seems to hit the same value equation as Porsche did on the GT4. A lot of cool hardware and a great driving experience for a reasonable price. (Relatively speaking)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

M2 at sticker is about as easy to get as a GT4 at sticker unless you are not picky about color or transmission.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
M2 at sticker is about as easy to get as a GT4 at sticker unless you are not picky about color or transmission.
Well lightning struck once, maybe twice then?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

If you want an M2 and you don't have to be the "first kid on the block" who owns one, just wait until the end of the year. I think they will be a little more flexible on price at that point.

I look at several different cars before I buy. I make a list of what I find interesting and then go to the dealers, check them out, and try to get a test drive. I then buy the one I really like. And that's all that matters to me. I kept my last BMW for almost 11 years. That is five years longer than the next longest held DD. That certainly had an influence on my decision to buy another one, but the test drive process was the key factor.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

None to be had in my area. Checked all four dealers. They said when they shut down for maintenance and begin the 2017 model year sometime in June they might announce greater availability. The small dealer I bought my 3 series from said they were told they would get one per year and sold their 2016 and have two more waiting for one.

I am sure supply will loosen up, but how long is kind of a mystery. You would think if there was this much demand BMW would run three shifts cranking them out. These are not hand built M engines. Perhaps a short supply of parts.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Vader if your looking for a M2 I noticed BMW of Lincoln Ne had one in there inventory. Price seemed to be at Msrp. Just something I noticed yesterday browsing there website.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i would not listen to any sales person regarding a M car. I would go straight to an auto broker and ask them....most of the sales of these cars are handled by managers at dealers as they not readily available, usually spoken for, special order cars, etc, etc.

i put down an order less than 90 days ago for an M3 the way I want it, will arrive within the next week or so, leased through BMW but through my auto broker, got me a great deal. the deals depend on credit as well as the dealer. There is usually not much to take off an m car, but I was able to via my auto broker.

Know what you want exactly, call a couple of them, see what they can do for you, forget the dealers....I ordered the car in April, early April and now it's just about June. I did this a few years ago with a 335i m sport I wanted, same thing. Got pretty close to European delivery prices....the 335i was about 7% less than sticker, the m3 will be also about 4% less than sticker. This is a lease so the purchase price is just a part of the equation. the auto broker charges something so it's not free, but it's a way better deal than a dealer.

He uses a dealer hundreds of miles away, the car is trucked up to him and i pick it up, full tank of gas, fully prepped car, the 335 had about 9 miles on it.
I am in northern cal, so you might do well talking to someone nearby.

best of luck.

Quick Reply: BMW M2