Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW 740Li

Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

All Mercedes and BMW designs are greatly affected by that stupid Euro pedestrian law. It's pretty obvious by looking at the front proportions of those cars. Though in my opinion MB has done a much better job integrating that requirement into their designs.

Just another reason to love Porsches, as they don't have to do deal with that idiocy (comment directed at the rear and mid engined models).
Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
All Mercedes and BMW designs are greatly affected by that stupid Euro pedestrian law. It's pretty obvious by looking at the front proportions of those cars. Though in my opinion MB has done a much better job integrating that requirement into their designs.

Just another reason to love Porsches, as they don't have to do deal with that idiocy (comment directed at the rear and mid engined models).
Why would the placement of the engine effect the pedestrians? Getting hit by a mid engine car is going to suck just as much as being hit by a front engine car... right?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1312378795' post='20842535

Why would the placement of the engine effect the pedestrians? Getting hit by a mid engine car is going to suck just as much as being hit by a front engine car... right?
Do you know anything about the European pedestrian law? In a nutshell it specifics a certain amount of empty space between the hood of a vehicle and it's engine. The reason for this is so that when a pedestrian is hit and lands on the hood of the car there is a slight cushion before any part of the person's body hits the (very solid and hard) engine underneath the hood. There's no engine under the hood of a Porsche, so they can design the hood any way they want. If you think that most new cars these days look a little too thick and taller than they need to be you can thank this law for that.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1312403447' post='20844106
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1312378795' post='20842535']

Do you know anything about the European pedestrian law? In a nutshell it specifics a certain amount of empty space between the hood of a vehicle and it's engine. The reason for this is so that when a pedestrian is hit and lands on the hood of the car there is a slight cushion before any part of the person's body hits the (very solid and hard) engine underneath the hood. There's no engine under the hood of a Porsche, so they can design the hood any way they want. If you think that most new cars these days look a little too thick and taller than they need to be you can thank this law for that.
[/quote]

No, I don't know anything about the law, which is why I asked. It does seem a bit strange though as this would only really help if the "pedestrian" falls from above. If you get hit by the front of a car, it won't do a bit of damn good. In fact, I can see this being worse for the pedestrian. The taller the hood, the more likely you are to go *under* the car as opposed to over it when hit.