Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW 330i

Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Felt the same way with the E90. I blamed it on the variable ratio steering, but who knows. The E46 was never that great in the steering feel... it was extremely precise and responsive (much more so than the S), but you just don't as feel connected. My old DSM was even more like that. You felt everything thorugh the wheel, it just took the car forever to actually respond and you never knew exactly what the car was going to do.

Theres not much better than the 3 series in the sedan market though... Road feel is certainly not its strongest suite... but name a sedan with better.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 AM

Funy how many people say the BMW's steering has a "disconnected" feeling. I pulled out a 2002 R&T with an 11 sedan comparison and they said the BMWs steering was a "scalpel" while the other 10 sedans were "sharp knives". If my 330i is a scalpel I guess that would make my S2000 a microsurgical laser?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 330 being on 01 is due for new dampers all around especially if it has more than 50k miles on it. The car may still ride well but they are done. Also, the front strut uppper mounts wear out as do the rear shock mounts. These parts are inexpensive. Also, the front lower control arm bushings (the rear mount that looks like a lollipop also go bad and really make the steering "loose"). It just needs some suspension maintainance that most of the older bimmers need. You will find that you local dealer will have all the parts in stock.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:36 AM

Steering feel is where the BMW accels. S2K steering is COMPLETELY devoid of feel, where as BMW usually has fantastic steering feel. The ZHP suspension is vastly superior to the regular suspension, also. It's designed for your regular buyer, not a sport minded buyer.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Mar 13 2008, 05:07 PM
That's exactly how I felt when I drove the 335i, I was looking forward to that bmw feel everyone goes on about but was disappointed.
+100

i was looking for that magical ultimate driving machine experience, and supposedly the steering wheel feel graced by god...

bleh. i mean, steering is nicely weighted and all (like s2k), but the entire driving aint all that

exhaust sounds nice though
Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 AM

If you wan the ultimate drivng experience, drive a Porsche. I think that phrase was coined back when BMW was making cars like the E30.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckV,Mar 14 2008, 08:36 AM
Steering feel is where the BMW accels. S2K steering is COMPLETELY devoid of feel, where as BMW usually has fantastic steering feel. The ZHP suspension is vastly superior to the regular suspension, also. It's designed for your regular buyer, not a sport minded buyer.
My 330i has the Sports Suspension, I don't know how close that is to the ZHP suspension and it's not the suspension I'm questioning. The ride level is excellent for a sedan, moderate body roll, I can feel the road but it's reasonably damped. The car has an absolute built like a brick feel to it, it's just the steering "feel" just doesn't have the wired to my cerebellum feel my S2000 has. Don't get me wrong I love this BMW I just think S2000 owners will for ever more no matter what they drive will miss 2 things most about their Honda, steering feel and Honda's 6 speed gearbox clearly the best gearbox on the planet.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Porsche951,Mar 14 2008, 06:19 AM
My 330i has the Sports Suspension, I don't know how close that is to the ZHP suspension and it's not the suspension I'm questioning. The ride level is excellent for a sedan, moderate body roll, I can feel the road but it's reasonably damped. The car has an absolute built like a brick feel to it, it's just the steering "feel" just doesn't have the wired to my cerebellum feel my S2000 has. Don't get me wrong I love this BMW I just think S2000 owners will for ever more no matter what they drive will miss 2 things most about their Honda, steering feel and Honda's 6 speed gearbox clearly the best gearbox on the planet.
I agree that the S2000's 6 was by far the smoothest gear box but it was very weak in my opinion. It had some serious problems when it first came out. Both of mine found it hard to catch gears a lot, especially off the line. The 6 speed in my Sti wasn
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Porsche951,Mar 14 2008, 09:19 AM
I think you're confusing steering speed with feel (feedback). The S2k, esp the AP1, has one of the fastest ratios around- it's super responsive. But because of the electric assist, it does not transmit either the feel of the road surface, or the tire's connection to it particularly well. This is what steering "feel" is, how well the steering wheels communicates what the tires are doing to your hands. There's an old joke (I think about the 911) that if you drove over a dime sitting in the road, you'd know what year it was. Nobody has ever accused the S of that. (Note that I'm not saying a 3 series is the pinnacle of steering feel, just clarifying the terms)

I think you're saying the S2k's steering feels good, which is does, but... it does not have good feel, lol!