Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW 3 series

Old 04-11-2024, 07:17 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I won't argue against the notion of CUVs dominate the market, but I will say that alot of car styles or its features (manual) has alot to do with OEMs making errors and then blaming the market for said errors.

The 3 series is huge, to the point you can draw more similarities to its CUV stablemates vs the E30. So by making it huge, they robbed the essence of what made them desireable in the first place, fun to drive, and made them more like its CUV competition which does the comfort and practicality thing better.

BMW is now doing the same thing with the 1M/M2 which were largely successful and desireable. But now the latest iteration is essentially a 3/4 series. It takes a while for the general populace to realize what we as discerning enthusiasts already know- it's too big, and therefore no desireable, and once it gets out that it's no longer an object of desire, well then suddenly people will want it less.

Sedans are actually desirable, even if they're not in higher demand than a CUV, bottom line is that they are desireable. I read an article that CUVs are viewed as parents/uber vehicles, and therefore sedans are gaining in desirability.

People will say it's crash regulations, etc that's killing the fun factor and making everything into a bloated jelly bean. I call BS, it's overly conservative, untalented execs leaning on focus groups to make their decisions.

Imo, BMW should've stubbornly not compromised on the driving quality of at least the 3 and 5 series, hallmark models in their lineup, and use their vast CUV lineup to appeal to the masses and keep the lights on. If Mazda can make a business case for a niche, low profitm, tiny two seat roadster Miata, surely BMW could make a business case for keeping the 4 door sedan 3 Series underweight/sized.

Especially now that you could buy a Model 3 for less money and drag it, the 3 series needs to do more to differentiate itself from EVs.

Just look at their historical models and see which ones are still commanding strong resale prices. It's not the M5s, or M6s, it's the older, smaller, M3s. The 1M and M2C were a hit because it reminded people of the smaller 3 series of the past. The current M3 is more E39/E60 M5 than it is E36 M3.

I don't get it, I understand that if you only made one car, I get the draw to make it bigger, because it will appeal to more people. But you got the 3, 5, and 7 series. The 3 series does not need to keep growing, you have a 5 series for that, and then a 7 series.
Nailed it. Well done.

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I also need to point out the irony that OP just bought a Macan and traded in his Guilia for it. So if you want to know why sedan sales are dropping....

I'm in my wife's 430xi cab today, and my daughters 320xi sedan is parked next to me at the office
Bingo. Though if an automaker makes CUVs more desirable, and sedans less so...only option is to go used, and the OP seems highly reluctant to purchase used vehicles.

Honestly, the last 3 Series I had any interest in was the E90/92. The styling direction of the F30 was horrible IMO, and the handling reviews (especially for the M3) were very disappointing. By all accounts the handling (and steering, to a degree) has been improved since, but overall the car just exudes a heavy heavy dose of banality.
The following users liked this post:
TheDonEffect (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

^ According to google, the 3 series actually hasn't changed much in size in the last 20 years. 8" in length is it.
And gained about 700lbs in the process, electric steering, no more NA engine, etc etc. Also, 8" for a vehicle is very significant, for instance, the difference in length between a 1999 Honda Civic coupe and a 1999 Honda CRV is 2 inches, and 9 inches if you compare it to a 2024 Honda CRV. So you're almost comparing a 99 Civic Coupe to a 24 CRV in terms of size gain. As with anything else, you add an inch here and there and the overall impact is significant.
Saki GT (04-18-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:48 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
And gained about 700lbs in the process, electric steering, no more NA engine, etc etc. Also, 8" for a vehicle is very significant, for instance, the difference in length between a 1999 Honda Civic coupe and a 1999 Honda CRV is 2 inches, and 9 inches if you compare it to a 2024 Honda CRV. So you're almost comparing a 99 Civic Coupe to a 24 CRV in terms of size gain. As with anything else, you add an inch here and there and the overall impact is significant.
Again, google can help you. 2000 BMW 330 weighed 3318. 2024 330 weighs 3536, so more like 200lbs.

Civic, yes absolutely has got too big. I'm surprised a Civic isn't longer than a CRV if I'm honest.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:28 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Again, google can help you. 2000 BMW 330 weighed 3318. 2024 330 weighs 3536, so more like 200lbs.

Civic, yes absolutely has got too big. I'm surprised a Civic isn't longer than a CRV if I'm honest.
If you compare M3s, the difference is much larger. E46 to F8x is like 400lbs, if you compare it to an E36 it's 700lbs (typo, originally typed 800) as I mentioned. E30 wouldn't even be in the same ballpark.

The current M3 weighs about 3900lbs. 3900lbs, and it isn't even AWD or hybrid.

Last edited by TheDonEffect; 04-11-2024 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
Am I reading this correctly: $1,280 for registration on a new M3? If so, where do you live?!

I am sorry, I got that wrong. Minnesota. We changed the law last year so the first year registration would be 1.575% of the MSRP, including options. Take an average $85k M3 and you get $1,338 and not $1,280. Then it drops to $850 the second year, then $800 the third year, etc for ten years until it is down to under $40 when older than 10 years. But it is on a wacky, top loaded depreciation schedule that scalps you on new cars. All told, you would pay nearly $4500 just to REGISTER the vehicle for the first four years. Don't confuse that with the $5,700 sales tax when you purchase. So about ten grand in tax to own one for four years here. I don't know how that compares to other states, but we are far from the cheapest. Our neighboring state, Wisconsin I think has a flat fee to register of $85 even for new cars.

Last edited by vader1; 04-11-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Well it is a bit different if you want the 340i and everything in the frozen tundra is Xdrive only unless you special order. C&D last test of '23 M40i Xdrive is 3988 pounds. 340i RWD probably somewhere in the middle.

It is under 4000 pounds, so it has that going for it.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vader1
I am sorry, I got that wrong. Minnesota. We changed the law last year so the first year registration would be 1.575% of the MSRP, including options. Take an average $85k M3 and you get $1,338 and not $1,280. Then it drops to $850 the second year, then $800 the third year, etc for ten years until it is down to under $40 when older than 10 years. But it is on a wacky, top loaded depreciation schedule that scalps you on new cars. All told, you would pay nearly $4500 just to REGISTER the vehicle for the first four years. Don't confuse that with the $5,700 sales tax when you purchase. So about ten grand in tax to own one for four years here. I don't know how that compares to other states, but we are far from the cheapest. Our neighboring state, Wisconsin I think has a flat fee to register of $85 even for new cars.
Similar in Michigan but not as high as a percentage as yours, our value caps at 10 years old though, so the renewal never drops below the 10 year old value. I still pay $140 to renew the Honda, and it’s 19 years old this year.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:33 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vader1
Well it is a bit different if you want the 340i and everything in the frozen tundra is Xdrive only unless you special order. C&D last test of '23 M40i Xdrive is 3988 pounds. 340i RWD probably somewhere in the middle.

It is under 4000 pounds, so it has that going for it.
Yep, everything is heavier these days, but the horsepower has increased along with it, so it doesn’t bother me much. Don’t think an awd 3 series was a thing back in 2000 though, at least not the norm it is now.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:00 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
it is all SUVs and crossovers, and there absolutely everywhere.
Oh and how I hate them. I don’t even like riding in them. What a joke of a vehicle and they are the most popular thing in the US. Shows you how much taste they have. At the same time they hate on, big time, the minivan. If I needed the room that these people claim to need, a minivan, would be the go to. They are AWD now, and have pretty good power for what they are. If you are shuffling people around, ferrying them, nothing beats that electronic sliding door. I actually try to choose them for Uber rides to the airport when I go out of town. If the AWD Sprinter didn’t cost 60k, I’d trade the truck in on one. Truck = trailer. Cargo Van I can install some permanent chocks in the back for my motorcycles. Wish there was more competition in this space but Murica = image over substance.
FearlessFife (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 02:38 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Oh and how I hate them. I don’t even like riding in them. What a joke of a vehicle and they are the most popular thing in the US. Shows you how much taste they have. At the same time they hate on, big time, the minivan. If I needed the room that these people claim to need, a minivan, would be the go to. They are AWD now, and have pretty good power for what they are. If you are shuffling people around, ferrying them, nothing beats that electronic sliding door. I actually try to choose them for Uber rides to the airport when I go out of town. If the AWD Sprinter didn’t cost 60k, I’d trade the truck in on one. Truck = trailer. Cargo Van I can install some permanent chocks in the back for my motorcycles. Wish there was more competition in this space but Murica = image over substance.
Well said my friend. The funny thing? Just last night we were behind a brand new X4, and my wife, who has been lusting after the X5 and X7 recently, could not hold back her disgust on how ugly the car is. "It looks like they shrunk a minivan and made it look like a 4x4 egg!"

Quick Reply: BMW 3 series