Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW 1-Series M Coupe starts at $47k

Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by secondreality,Jan 11 2011, 10:00 AM
I got a near fully loaded 135i offer sheet (including the DCT and M package, keyless, auto seats, ipod which is now standard) for 40k from the dealer - building on the website, and adding destination was 42k, so they would move ~2k from MSRP. I also did the same for an Evo X MR, and that was 38k and they wouldn't go lower. I can give you the sales rep for each, but it certainly isn't baloney.

The 2011 STI sedan, at least where I am at, is being marked up to 38k as well, with the hatch being around 35k. I don't know if they will move on it as I never seriously considered getting one, I was just talking to the salesmen while I was getting an oil change on my 06 STI.

And I mentioned that the GT was fully loaded for ~40k, no disagreement there.

A 'base' 135i has quite a few options though, seeing as it has nice leather standard among other things. The Evo X MR has no trunk and an interior that is behind a 2005 BMW, much less a 2011, same with the STI.

EDIT: I noticed you said the Evo GSR - they wanted 37k for that sticker w/ premium sound, sub, etc but it still felt like crap on the inside, night and day difference to the 135i.

EDIT 2: Also at the time BMW was doing 0.9% on 3 years and 1.9% on 5, while Audi/Mitsu quoted me market rate due to no special deals going on.
Sounds like you have issues with purchasing an Evo or STi, then. Plenty of guys are getting the MR for $3K (or more) off sticker. The STi is readily available with similar discounts to what you listed for the 135i ($2K) in some areas. They leftover 2008s Evo X MRs were going for $5K off sticker last year.

So, different prices for different people. Either way, you're still looking at $3K-$4K less for an STi or Evo X if you shop around. Just because you couldn't doesn't mean I can't (or anyone else).
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STi's and X's both sell for nearly $40k in my area also.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Lots of guys on the Evo forums getting at least $3K off sticker and some getting much, much more for the right car. Mitsu has $2000 cashback or 0% financing this month.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jan 11 2011, 09:04 AM
Lots of guys on the Evo forums getting at least $3K off sticker and some getting much, much more for the right car. Mitsu has $2000 cashback or 0% financing this month.
To be fair you are in Canada and I was shopping seriously for one last Oct. I think location and timing are both factors. I wasn't saying they are all within $500 out the door, just that if I drive an Evo X and then a 135i, to me at least, the 135i is just flat-out better and value wise is a good deal since it feels like it is worth 3-5k more than the Evo, and is priced in that range.

For what you get when you buy a 1 or 3 series BMW I think you get decent to good bang for your buck, especially compared to other new vehicles. Obviously there may be X dealership having a closeout sale on older models that makes one better, but I certainly think that the current BMW pricing model is not absurd at all for what you get.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Prices are way worse in Canada ($50K for Evo X MR). I was quoting US prices, since I lived in Texas when I was looking at them.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by secondreality,Jan 11 2011, 10:23 AM
For what you get when you buy a 1 or 3 series BMW I think you get decent to good bang for your buck, especially compared to other new vehicles.
German cars are lots of things, but they're not great bang for bucks. Maybe in your (second) reality?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exb00st,Jan 11 2011, 11:42 AM
German cars are lots of things, but they're not great bang for bucks. Maybe in your (second) reality?

It's hard to compare the 135 w/ the Evo/STi, which have the advantages of 4 doors and awd w/ sophisticated diffs. OTOH, the BMW has better build quality, a nicer interior, and a stronger engine w/ a known sore spot (HPFP).
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by exb00st,Jan 11 2011, 12:42 PM
It depends how you define "bang." In any reality.

Setting aside Simple Blind Badge Lust, different people legitimately put different values on different aspects of a car. Amenities count. Cachet counts. Relative rarity counts. Tradition and history count. Engineering counts. On and on. And yes, status counts. To some, many of those don't mean anything. But to others their value is higher. So in my view, not everyone's for sure, it's hard to make generalizations about bang for the buck.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Jan 11 2011, 09:42 AM
Well I was really close to ordering a 2011 S4, which came in at 54k w/ nav and a bunch of goodies MSRP. I couldn't find anything that was a better NEW value that that without giving up 4-doors or a lot of luxury, or adding another 10-15k to step to the CTS-V/M3/IS-F/C63 AMG division.

Since I seem to be the crazy one, what car blows it away for less, without going used? Of course I ended up deciding that used was the way to go, and I was frightened about owning an Audi/BMW past warranty, but to be honest I couldn't find anything that matched/surpassed it for the price, considering the combo of luxury and performance. Maybe it was that my criteria lent itself to a division that had very little competition, which may be the case (the 4-door restriction left out the American competition entirely and was the reason I didn't pull the trigger on the 135i), but the competition from the Genesis / IS350 / M37 made me feel those were less value than the 335i/S4? Maybe I was putting much more value in how it felt to sit in the car and drive it than others and thought it was worth the extra 5k or so, I dunno

I just want to know if I am crazy, or if it is just that the old stereotypes die hard. When I was first looking to replace the STI last Aug or so I didn't even think to look at BMW/Audi/Merc since I thought they would be incredibly overpriced as well, but after seeing that they were on par with others I thought would be much cheaper, I certainly was surprised.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM

I'm sort of confused because "bang for buck" usually suggests that it's cheaper than its competitors (G37 vs. 335/S4/C350) and focuses on price vs. performance.

The Germans have always been class leaders on build quality and sometimes performance, but they always carry a price premium, which is why you're "bang for the buck" comment was off to me.

Old stereotypes do die hard, I agree. But they do die LOL. Otherwise, I wouldn't be driving an Audi.

Quick Reply: BMW 1-Series M Coupe starts at $47k