Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Blue Devil or SS or whatever is real

Old 05-02-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue Devil or SS or whatever is real

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...24/TOC01ARCHIVE
[QUOTE]
That off-again/on-again super-Corvette is definitely on, according to General Motors performance cars chief Tom Wallace.

Wallace, who replaced recently retired Corvette chief engineer Dave Hill, tells AutoWeek the biggest challenge facing the so-called Blue Devil Corvette is figuring out how to get 600 hp to the ground in such a way that it can be handled by a driver with the money to buy the car.

Wallace said GM is considering requiring that Blue Devil
Old 05-02-2006, 07:55 AM

The last sentence of the part you quoted is probably one of GM's best ideas concerning these cars.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That thing is going to be a hella-monster..
Old 05-02-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to Dave Hill?

I hope it has styling to match all that power. Don't get me wrong, the Z06 looks great, but this thing will be on the level of true supercars, so it should look the part.

They could get those numbers out of the LS7 NA, but with the need to back these with a standard warranty, they will wisely take the safe route and go with the tried and true blower. Ultimately that will open the factory forced induction door, so 700+ will be right around the corner once people start playing with them. Oh my!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MulderATO,May 2 2006, 11:20 AM
That thing is going to be a hella-monster..
Agree, and it'll also be interesting to see if it's a hella PR disaster for GM, if they really do sell a street car that requires driving school to drive properly [read "safely" in the public's mind]. If it's not to be a street car, then ignore that point, unless the driver school is required for Z06's too. Maybe they can pull it off, but it'll be interesting.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:44 AM

I have no doubt they're capable of getting the power. Now it's all about the control. I can't believe I'm likely to see a stock 600+ hp Corvette on the market. Not that I can afford one, but man is 600+ hp a lot to bring home from the dealership.

This is, of course, to say nothing of the C6R. I'm not sure how much a C6R costs, but wasn't a C5R about $150k? If the C6R is similarly priced, I'd imagine the uber-Vette will cost about $120k...or maybe $100k, since they couldn't really go that stratospheric with the Vette.

Regarding the Corvette's looks, I doubt they'll change hardly anything on this new version. The Corvette already has about the most enviable cD in the industry (aside from hybrids anyways), and it's about the cream of the crop among sports cars. My guess is GM is going to want to avoid messing with the car's aerodynamics, and just make a couple simple body add-ons.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 AM

That's pretty cool Chevy's going to build this monster, but there are still a lot of questions to be answered. WHY are they building this now? WHO are they marketing the car to? WHAT will they charge for such a monster? (I can't see anyone paying 6 figures for a Vette, fast or not) WHEN is it going to be released? (or at least specs or something)

600+ HP is a lot to keep down on the street, and while I don't argue they can do it, I think driver's ed should be a requirement of such a vehicle. I can easily see this car making in the mid 600's for power. Hell, if you (they) can't get 600+ out of a 7.0L V8, there's something seriously wrong.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 AM

This was a plan/rumor for years now. I'd like to see them follow through. Given next-generation traction control and active handling anyone can drive this thing on the street with no problems. Your personal liability should increase whenever you turn those off.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,May 2 2006, 10:14 AM
...Your personal liability should increase whenever you turn those off.
Oh don't kid yourself.

Once they have black box GPS chips in all our cars to keep track of us wirelessly as we pass by wireless network points throughout our cities, the next logical step for Big Bro is to wire your insurance agency into your car. Then they can charge you on the fly for what you do with your car on a minute-by-minute basis.

Technology's great. Ain't it...
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 AM

a low cD is great for quiet luxury cars and fuel sippers, a 600 hp beast needs aerodynamic downforce, which causes drag and kills you coeffeciency

but, who gives a shit, I'm talking about styling, this is a beast and should look like one, bigger wheels and fenders are not enough. I love a sleeper as much as the next guy, but the buyers of a car with this much performance usually want the world to know it

Quick Reply: Blue Devil or SS or whatever is real