Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bike for a beginner

Old 05-17-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike for a beginner

Hey guys what's up? I'm a young guy ( 18 ) and have been looking for a nice bike to buy for the summer. I've never driven a sports bike but know how to drive quads. Same concept? correct? I want something I can handle but also want it to look nice. I'm about 180 pounds and around 5'8. But yeah, I was looking at the R6's. I like the stlye of that bike a lot but I'm sure many will say its to much for me. So I'd appreciate any help guys. Thanks a lot!

Danny
Old 05-18-2004, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DreamZer0
Hey guys what's up? I'm a young guy ( 18 ) and have been looking for a nice bike to buy for the summer. I've never driven a sports bike but know how to drive quads. Same concept? correct? I want something I can handle but also want it to look nice. I'm about 180 pounds and around 5'8. But yeah, I was looking at the R6's. I like the stlye of that bike a lot but I'm sure many will say its to much for me. So I'd appreciate any help guys. Thanks a lot!

Danny
Riding a bike is rather different from a quad. Like it's got 2 fewer wheels and goes a hell of a lot quicker. Suggest you take a test using MSF who all the US bikers speak highly of. Then decide what you want to ride. Since you have a very high chance of binning your first bike, better not to go for a new R6.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An R6 would be perfect for you... being that it's your first bike. Mine was jetted, akropovic one piece header & pipe, K&N filter charger kit, 130 in third gear. I had an 03 R6 it was sweet, it was light, and easy to throw around, it'll be more than enough for a beginner. For a first bike I'd definately say your making the right decision. Once you get the feel for the 600 though... let me know your thoughts. R6 was a blast.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 AM

I think you should get a R1, ZX-10R, GSX-R 1000 or even a 'Busa; they're perfect for beginners.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by under-rated
An R6 would be perfect for you... being that it's your first bike. Mine was jetted, akropovic one piece header & pipe, K&N filter charger kit, 130 in third gear.
Very nice!! Any pictures?? Its good to hear that its easy to throw around. I thought I may be to small for a bike like this.

Originally posted by ElTianti
I think you should get a R1, ZX-10R, GSX-R 1000 or even a 'Busa; they're perfect for beginners.
The GSX-R 1000 is an awesome looking bike. Was just looking at one the other day. The Busa is kinda different right?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Welshman
Suggest you take a test using MSF who all the US bikers speak highly of.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:56 AM

DreamZer0,

I think an answer or two you got here were a little sarcastic. Honestly, a 600 built in the last few years is a lousy first bike. They were designed for people who are pushing it right to the edge on a race track. The power bands have moved so far up the rev range, that these bikes have become like on/off switches. One second you are putting along, the next second, your eyes are watering because of the explosive power. The modern 600 is not friendly to someone who doesn't have the experience.

And a quad and a sport bike are NOTHING alike. In fact, a modern motocross bike and a sportbike are NOTHING alike. I once watched a pro motocrosser almost throw a brand new RC51 into a ditch around an easy corner because he rode it like a dirtbike. Go take a proper street motorcycle course. It'll increase your chances of not crashing by 10 fold.

As for a beginner bike? I'm a huge fan of older 600 supersport bikes, particularly the Honda CBR600F2 and CBR600F3. The powerband is so much more friendly, the bike does not have as aggressive a posture as a modern bike (the super aggressive argo's make slow speed maneuvering more difficult, and 90% of all beginner crashes happen below 10 MPH), the older CBRs are cheap (which is good if you're gonna crash it as a beginner), and the best part is that these Hondas are bomb proof. It'll still go close to 150 MPH and out accelerate just about any 4 wheel vehicle on the street.

Ride one of those for a year, learn how to ring its neck, maybe even take it to the track and beat on it, then go out and get a 1 litre bike for the street. For an experienced rider, there is no substitute for a good Super Bike. But I would recommend staying away from a newer 600.

Chris.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 AM

The GSX-R 1000 is an awesome looking bike. Was just looking at one the other day. The Busa is kinda different right?
Ok, listen, I WAS JOKING! DO NOT GET A LITER BIKE!

Get a CBR 600 (F2,F3 or F4.) They're cheap, plentiful and though very fast, they aren
Old 05-18-2004, 10:40 AM

Thank you chris. I appreciate your honesty. It's interesting to hear that 90% of all beginner crashes happen below 10 MPH. Didn't know that. I was looking at the CBR600F3's you recommended. They look pretty nice. Price range is great too. I'll look more into these bikes as well as those classes. I don't necessarily need a powerhouse nor do I want one. So maybe I'll leave the new R1's and GSX-r's in consideration for the future. Thanks for the suggestions.

Danny
Old 05-18-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by DreamZer0
It's interesting to hear that 90% of all beginner crashes happen below 10 MPH.
Yep. A 400 pound motorcycle gets pretty tipsy when it's moving slowly and you're trying to balance it on two wheels. Just about every person I know who has laid a bike down did it in a parking lot while trying to execute some sort of turn. Once the bike gets above 20 MPH, they get very stable and feel much lighter than 400 pounds. In fact, if you take a good riding course, 90% of it will concentrate on slow speed maneuvers (like figure 8's, riding in circles, slaloms through tightly spaced cones, etc). If you can master that, you just increased your chances of avoiding the most embarrassing and most common type of crash.

People who lay a bike down at higher speeds are usually intermediate riders who are beginning to explore what their bike is able to do. If you reach that point, you should go straight to the local race track and explore your bike there. It's way safer and there will be plenty of people there who'll offer all sorts of tips and tricks. I waited three years between the time I started riding till the time I did my first track day. I probably should have hit the track about a year earlier. I was amazed at what a few sessions on a closed course did for my riding.

ElTanti also listed the F4 as a possibility. They are a fantastic bike as well. Honda sold a ton of them so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. I often called it the disposable sport bike. So many people seemed to buy them up, treat them like toys, crash them, and get out of motorcycles all within the space of one season. You may be able to get a really good deal on one.

Chris.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM

Ohh, and I guess this goes without saying, but I better mention it. MAKE SURE TO GET SOME GOOD RIDING GEAR!! Having personally crashed a YSR-50 in a 180 degree hairpin turn on a go-kart track, leathers work wonders. I couldn't possibly imagine what would happen on a full size bike in the street without any safety gear. At a minimum, get a good helmet, jacket and gloves (especially gloves - when I crashed, I was wearing racing gloves, a one piece suit, boots, helmet, etc, and I did the most damage to my hands; I was only going about 25 MPH).

Quick Reply: Bike for a beginner