Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

which bike

Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2krev,Sep 15 2009, 04:00 PM
according to him hes been riding dirts... and raced ktm 250cc
Riding dirt is nice but that's nearly irrelavent. Riding on the street is a new skill set. There are no thousand pound metal cages flying around you on the dirt.

I'm not being a jerk, it goes both ways. I'm a novice at best on dirt, I'm sure the OP could run circles around me. Like I wouldn't buy the biggest baddest dirt bike and ride balls to the wall is the same reason he should buy a SS and just "figure it out" on the concrete.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

R6 ALL THE WAY!!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Thumbs down

Coming from an actual sportbike rider who has been riding for nearly four years... I've been on GSXRs, R6s, and ZX636s. Visit a few bike shops, check out the bikes, sit on the ones you're really interested in and go w/ your heart. Starting w/ a 600 is cool. Don't f--- around on the bike and have respect for it. I know ppl who have never rode and buy a 1000 for their first bike and do just fine. If you wanna be a p---- and get a 250 go for it. Point is, use your own brain and judgement and if you can, take the motorcycle training course because you will learn a lot of useful info, you can get a disc. on ins. (depending on the ins. co.), and you will be able to get your license through them. If you think you can pass the M1 test w/ a 600 or bigger, you're smoking crack. If you don't want to take the class, search Craigslist.com for someone who rents 250s for the DMV test.

Most important advice you can get as a beginning rider, WEAR YOUR GEAR. Too often I see idiots in t-shirts and shorts doing 90 on the fwy. A 20mph fall will rip holes in your jeans. Imagine what a faster fall would do to your skin. And, forget about that road rage shit; pay attention to what's going on around you.

19 is a very young age to be riding if you're in a busy area (like So. CA). You've only been driving for 3 yrs... not much exp.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Knowing a guy who started on a 1000cc supersport and didn't die is not a statistically or logically valid argument in claiming the dangers of riding it and a smaller bike are therefore somehow equal/similar.

You have your whole life to move up to a bigger bike. I am in my mid 20's with the fastest production bike on earth and started riding at nearly your exact age. You will have plenty of time to move up and try different bikes, but you only get one spinal cord/brain etc.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jrs2crazzy,Oct 27 2009, 12:31 PM
R6 ALL THE WAY!!!!
i love my r6

its my first bike and im absolutely in love..!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kCease,Nov 18 2009, 09:21 PM
Coming from an actual sportbike rider who has been riding for nearly four years... I've been on GSXRs, R6s, and ZX636s. Visit a few bike shops, check out the bikes, sit on the ones you're really interested in and go w/ your heart. Starting w/ a 600 is cool. Don't f--- around on the bike and have respect for it. I know ppl who have never rode and buy a 1000 for their first bike and do just fine. If you wanna be a p---- and get a 250 go for it. Point is, use your own brain and judgement and if you can, take the motorcycle training course because you will learn a lot of useful info, you can get a disc. on ins. (depending on the ins. co.), and you will be able to get your license through them. If you think you can pass the M1 test w/ a 600 or bigger, you're smoking crack. If you don't want to take the class, search Craigslist.com for someone who rents 250s for the DMV test.

Most important advice you can get as a beginning rider, WEAR YOUR GEAR. Too often I see idiots in t-shirts and shorts doing 90 on the fwy. A 20mph fall will rip holes in your jeans. Imagine what a faster fall would do to your skin. And, forget about that road rage shit; pay attention to what's going on around you.

19 is a very young age to be riding if you're in a busy area (like So. CA). You've only been driving for 3 yrs... not much exp.
Good advice.

I've seen guys on 750+ try to pass the M1 - sport bikes and Harleys. It's sad to watch. If they don't stall the bike they kill massive amounts of cones.

R6s would be a good starter. Nice bikes all around.

I'd buy used. The used MC prices right now are out of this world due to winter+bad economy. You can get some great deals. All that extra cash left over in your pocket can be used for gear, taxes, and insurance. If you know bikes you'll know when a used one wasn't taken care of. If you don't, have someone who does look it over. All of my bikes have been used (some of them 10+y/o)...never had a problem with any of them.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM

ive been through all the yamasakigsx600rzx6rrrrrrrr theyre all about the same just looks different imo.
currently im having a blast on sv650 at the track and riding on dirt with my crf
whatever you get make sure you have medical insurance.... im pretty sure u do since u raced dirt.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irace4Kimchi,Dec 2 2009, 08:37 PM
ive been through all the yamasakigsx600rzx6rrrrrrrr theyre all about the same just looks different imo.
currently im having a blast on sv650 at the track and riding on dirt with my crf
whatever you get make sure you have medical insurance.... im pretty sure u do since u raced dirt.
Your username is funny. My wife loves Kimchi.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:02 PM

2007 Honda CBR 600 RR FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry im a little bias haha, but i had a 2005 R6 and a 1990 ninja 500 before this one and i loveee my RR!

the RR is light, powerful, and lots of low end torque for street riding. and on the track, its amazinggggg. it handles like its on rails.. and pretty comfortable even for long rides.

my '05 R6 was nice and comfy, but it felt like a horse compared to my RR. my RR is like a huffy with 110 hp haha.
and depending on what year R6 youre looking at (the new (2006+) R6 looks sick), but you really have to get your rpms up to feel the power..its almost like the s2000 of bikes haha.

and ive rode my friends 2007 gsxr 600 too, it was a nice bike, nice even power band, but i didnt really like the riding position.

with your dirt bike experience, i think youll be fine on a 600. just be careful, and ride safe.

oh and i forgot to mention, pearl white bikes are faster than any other color made!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 PM

thanks a lot guys for the input! i really appreciate it... i haven't really commented back on everyones feed back.. i have been to almost every bike dealership within a hundred miles lol.. i think the rr comfort wise is the best like how you don't feel like your wrist is bending as much, but i love the 2006-2009 gsxr look. i am getting a bike in January.. not buying new rather go used for one its cheaper and 2 if i crash i wont be as pissed off ha..
thanks again..
p.s does anyone know how much cheaper ur insurance is by taking a class?
thanks!

Quick Reply: which bike