Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which is the better US Car Magazine?
Car and Driver
24.07%
Road & Track
31.48%
Automobile Magazine
16.67%
Motor Trend
18.52%
Something Else (please specify)
9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Which is the better US Car Magazine?

Old 11-05-2002, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the better US Car Magazine?

This is for general automotive news and reviews of cars. I understand the issues many have with the "fairness" of reporting and advertising bias. If the answer is "Something Else" please specify in a response.

TIA.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:18 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

My vote's for Autoweek. They do a review on every new/revised vehicle that comes out, and it's in the mailbox weekly. I prefer that sort of news instead of the "Sport Compact Shootout" or "Viper vs. Vette" hype that MT or C&D tend to prefer. I don't need someone to tell me what's better, just give me the fact sheet. Plus, a long term subscription is like 50
Old 11-05-2002, 02:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I subscribe to Car and Driver, Automobile and AutoWeek. It's a tough call as they change from month to month depending upon their content.

I try to stay away from Motor Trend and Road & Track as they are incorporated with Car and Driver so many of their "test" cars end up being the same.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:57 PM

I liked one of Motor Trend's past issues. I think it was Sept. 2002: MBz SL55 AMG, Ferrari 360 Spyder F1, Aston Marton DB7 Vantage, and a BMW Z8. I almost drooled on the page. I love those cars.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:09 PM

Road & Track has Peter Egan writing for them and that makes it the best for my money and I get them all.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Bieg
Road & Track has Peter Egan writing for them and that makes it the best for my money and I get them all.
Of the choices presented, I agree with Bieg.

I subscribe to:
Autoweek
Automobile
Car & Driver
Motor Trend
Road & Track and
Sports Car International.

I prefer SCI as I don't have to flip past articles on Suburbans, etc. to read about what I care about but R&T is usually pretty good too.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:47 PM

I tend to prefer Automobile Mag, simply because the writing, layout, and typography is so much better than the rest. Car and Driver was this way when David E. Davis was editing, but when he left, they seemed to lose their bite.

Writing aside, AutoWeek seems to be the most technically accurate and dependable. As jeffbrig said, they have the fewest "Hummer H2 vs Porche GT2 Offroad Shootout" articles, and since it's weekly, they have to address subjects with more depth than you'd get from a monthly.

Road & Track, while technically excellent, always comes across as too dry and geeky for me. It's as if the writers have to be reminded to have fun when they drive, and even then, it seems pushed. Sort of like when Al Gore or GW are trying to be funny. (They're much funnier when they're not trying.)

Tim
Old 11-05-2002, 07:25 PM

My favorite would have to be Autoweek. When they review new cars, they include bits of foreign as well as domestic car magazine reviews. I like their weekly auto related T.V. schedule as well. Plus, instead of waiting a month to read the latest on up and coming car news, it's done weekly.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:58 AM

Intersection!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAR magazine from UK is a great magazine too!
so many beautiful European cars inside

Quick Reply: Which is the better US Car Magazine?