Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Which is the better track car: Audi TT or VW R32?

Old 06-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which is the better track car: Audi TT or VW R32?

In my previous thread, I asked which was the better choice: VW GTI or MCS...after thinking about it, I also want to throw in a an Audi TT comparison. I know that they are both very similar (same platform and now with the same engine). I know the TT has the motor slightly tuned different to produce 250hp and comes with the DSG. How do they perform against each other?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TT is crap for a track car. My girlfriend has a 2004 6MT (220 HP), and it has a very heavy feel for such a small car. Weighs about the same as an M3, but with none of the steering feel, chassis dynamics, or throttle-steering. The TTs/R32 are both default-FWD, with the AWD only kicking in when the fronts lose traction. Understeer City.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by basscase,Jun 10 2005, 09:03 AM
The TT is crap for a track car. My girlfriend has a 2004 6MT (220 HP), and it has a very heavy feel for such a small car. Weighs about the same as an M3, but with none of the steering feel, chassis dynamics, or throttle-steering. The TTs/R32 are both default-FWD, with the AWD only kicking in when the fronts lose traction. Understeer City.
I know they're technically "crap" as track cars (atleast compared to my NSX), but I was just curious about the outcome between the two since theyre so similar...I would guess the TT due to higher HP and DSG along with lower profile, but I could be mistaken...is it heavier than the R32? How about wheelbase and etc? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather have the R32. Same car, more room, and doesn't have the gimicky DSG. But I wouldn't want either as a track car.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 AM

I have a 3.2 TT DSG and I track the car.

As far as which one is better for track (R32 or TT), they're essentially the same mechanically. I would call it a toss up and down to driver preferences.

I love the DSG transmission. If you have not driven it yet, don't knock it. I thought the same thing until I test drove the car (several times as it turned out) before buying it. I came from an Audi S4 (B5) and the TT looked and felt sportier. I did look at the R32 and liked it, but found the TT design and Tranny/V-6 combo more appealing.

As for being a bad track car...

I would not say that. It is not an ideal track car by any means, but with the right suspension tuning, some track tires and alignment, I turn much faster lap times (>10 seconds at Mid Ohio) than my S2000*** on the same tracks. Given the weight distribution and the haldex AWD, the car will inherently push. I just did a track event two weeks ago at Mid Ohio and since then learned quite a few things about the car. Yesterday, I had the car re-aligned, R-compound tires w/light weight track wheels and upgraded the brake pads and fluid. We'll see how it goes this weekend when I go back to the same track. I was turning 1:52's at Mid Ohio with street tires, basically factory alignment and brakes. It should be interesting to see how these changes make a difference.

***Note: The S2000 is completely factory in setup and I am not as comfortable driving it on the track as the TT. So, I'm sure the S2000 is more capable with the right driver. The TT is just easier to drive fast with confidence.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrClean,Jun 10 2005, 09:18 AM
I have a 3.2 TT DSG and I track the car.

As far as which one is better for track (R32 or TT), they're essentially the same mechanically. I would call it a toss up and down to driver preferences.

I love the DSG transmission. If you have not driven it yet, don't knock it. I thought the same thing until I test drove the car (several times as it turned out) before buying it. I came from an Audi S4 (B5) and the TT looked and felt sportier. I did look at the R32 and liked it, but found the TT design and Tranny/V-6 combo more appealing.

As for being a bad track car...

I would not say that. It is not an ideal track car by any means, but with the right suspension tuning, some track tires and alignment, I turn much faster lap times (>10 seconds at Mid Ohio) than my S2000 on the same tracks. Given the weight distribution and the haldex AWD, the car will inherently push. I just did a track event two weeks ago at Mid Ohio and since then learned quite a few things about the car. Yesterday, I had the car re-aligned, R-compound tires w/light weight track wheels and upgraded the brake pads and fluid. We'll see how it goes this weekend when I go back to the same track. I was turning 1:52's at Mid Ohio with street tires, basically factory alignment and brakes. It should be interesting to see how these changes make a difference.
Nice. Thanks for sharing your experience. Admitingly, I haven't test driven either...design wise, I prefer the TT, but convenience the VW. Its a hard toss up...I'm guessing they "feel" the same when driving?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=Saint_Spinner,Jun 10 2005, 12:21 PM] Nice. Thanks for sharing your experience. Admitingly, I haven't test driven either...design wise, I prefer the TT, but convenience the VW.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Mr. Clean, what sort of deal did you get on the TT? Are they selling well? Kind of curious since they've been out for a while now...do they sell below MSRP or not? In the meantime, I'm probably going to wait for the next gen. GTI and TT since they again share the same platform.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Jun 10 2005, 01:01 PM
Mr. Clean, what sort of deal did you get on the TT? Are they selling well? Kind of curious since they've been out for a while now...do they sell below MSRP or not? In the meantime, I'm probably going to wait for the next gen. GTI and TT since they again share the same platform.
That was the clincher for me when I got the TT.

Back in Feb/Mar 04 when I got the car, the R32 was selling $1500 over MSRP and the TT was 10% off MSRP.

I don't know what they are selling for now, but I would imagine you could get a decent amount off sticker given the slow sales over the past two model years.

Factory wheels, lowered 1".

ATS Wheels, not lowered in this pic.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the pics. I still love the way the TT looks and drives (very snug and claustraphobic...which I like) Too bad they don't offer red seats anymore. My favorite combo was the red seats/titanium exterior...

Quick Reply: Which is the better track car: Audi TT or VW R32?