Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

better performance?? s2k or M coupe

Old 05-31-2002, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better performance?? s2k or M coupe

hey guys,

After much thought I have narrowed it down to two possible cars that I would like to purchase. They are the M coupe with 333 HP and the s2k. I really don't like the convertible top on the M, that is why I chose the coupe. If anyone has had the chance to compare these two vehicles regarding track time, reliability, overall drive experience etc etc...Please let me know. I have search the posts but it seems everyone can't decide which is better, some think s2k some M Coup. For 10+k difference in price I would appreciate any opinions.

donix
Old 05-31-2002, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M Coupe has 315 HP, it's M3 that has 333 HP.....

back to the topic.....i would choose M Coupe if i were u
Old 05-31-2002, 05:47 AM

your right...I get M's confused but yes..the s2k vs. M3

It seems the M3 would be better in the long run don't you think??..with more practical use anyway
Old 05-31-2002, 06:10 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about the M3 or the M Coupe?
Old 05-31-2002, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better performance? Even the old 240hp M coupes will run circles around the S2k.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What are you looking for in a car? The M3 and the S2000 are totally different animals...and totally different price ranges. Seems to me that if you have the money and want a GT/Sports Sedan with AMAZING performance and quite a bit of practicality...get the M3. If you're looking for what is probably one of the best executed performance convertibles ever made, go for the S2000.

Personally for me, I'm shopping for a convertible first and ultimate performance second. Given that requirement, I would actually look at a Miata before I looked at an M3 at this point in my life.

Oh, stop a second before you lambast me for this. I am a HUGE BMW fan. In my mind the single most perfect car built is the current M5. That is the car I would buy if I had to have the same car for the rest of my life.

However, that's not the case. At 30 years old and single I'm looking for something fun...for a convertible to drive around during my daily life and drive out to the coast on weekends.

My $.02...
Old 05-31-2002, 01:16 PM

Completely agree with Brant.

The M Coupe is faster, more practical, and it does have BMW bling, but the S2000 is more fun due to its inherently flashier concept as an open-top car which makes you to do things you wouldn't really be inspired to do in a coupe.

I'd pick the S2000 if you can put up with a two-seater roadster.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:54 PM

just to clear things a bit I'm talking about the M3 coupe. I first decided that the s2k was the choice but after all the mods that I want I was looking at a little over 50k including the car. I wanted a car that was sporty, fast and practical. I;m probably going to keep it for longer than 5 years. I know the S is fun but I would probably trade it in after several years and probably loose money because of all the aftermarket mods. Just trying to get the best bang for the buck you can say. I realize both cars are superb but not having been able to test drive either (almost impossible to test drive the S in my area). The waiting list for the M3 is over a year in my area so I will probably purchase a used M3. Dealer markup is also as rediculous as the S.

So basically it comes down to long term comittment on this purchase.

Thanks for all the opinions so far
Old 05-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Banned

get the m3!!! I am probably going to buy one in the next month. The local dealership is going to get a laguan seca blue m3 coupe with 12 miles on it. I have drivin this car many times, and i love it. get it!!!
Old 05-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by WRS2K
Completely agree with Brant.
I'm stunned. I honestly can't recall the last time ANYONE completely agreed with me...

Quick Reply: better performance?? s2k or M coupe