Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Better Car Than S2k ??

Old 09-06-2002, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TKG 26
chui,

going back to our posts from a few weeks ago... you should check out the post in S2000 talk (or maybe it was Car Talk) about all the accolades and headlines that the S2000 has received over it's short life... i've never heard the ITR receive that level of regard... nor compared to the type of vehicles that the S2000 was compared to...

not flaming... but when i read it, i immediately thought of you and our "exchange" in this thread

though you're not as "keen" on the S2000 as i am, i thought you may enjoy it as you are an enthusiast nonetheless.......

regards.
U misunderstand me, TKG 26. I critique things I have a passion for and I merely expect Honda to dominate it's competition in subjective as well as objective measures of sports car performance. I DO enjoy the car. I think it's one of the nicer drives available at any price, but it does not fully subdue the Porsche Boxster in subjective [and if we were more knowledgeable about suspension design, theory and execution, perhaps objectively as well.]

As faar as the little ITR is concerned I've nt read one critical article on the car since it's inception. And that's not an exaggeration. While American magazines focus on objective data primarily and simple prose the Euro mags are more thorough in their evaluation and writing which is one reason I like reading them. When one also considers that manual transmissions, twisty narrow roads and low coefficient of friction roads are the norm [for England, at least] handling and subjectivity on steering and brake feedback will be emphasized more so than here, in general.

At any rate, the Euro press is a bit prejudiced towards things Japanese, yet they've only thoroughly complimented two Japanese cars that I can recall from day one 'til the day it was discontinued. They are the Subaru Impreza WRX and the Honda Integra Type R. Oh, they eventually admitted that the NSX was phenomenal, but it took them some time to accept it on somehwat equal terms to Europe's finest. I have over seven pages of subjective comments on the little car. Here are a few that may surprise you:

Old 09-06-2002, 08:32 PM

This is probably the closest you could get to the "best thread of all time". good points by everybody.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:29 AM

Chui,

Reading all these quotes make me want to go out and test drive an ITR.
Btw, I also read that Mini S' handling is also phenomenal (also read that from
Euro mags, though you didn't seem to agree with me on earlier posts)... have u
ever driven one?
Old 09-07-2002, 08:38 AM

Honeslty, if you were here in the Detroit Metro Area I'd let you drive "Aelf". I've let Celica GT-S drivers take laps at Auto X events and two have promptly sold their car and are now on the "Dark Side" of... "The Dark Side"

I've heard great things about the new Mini S and I'll have the opportunity in a few week's time. The Renault Clio 172 Club Sport was recently picked over the Mini S by Autocar due to it's ITR-ness: lightened, stiffened, noisyness, not to mention much, much quicker. Bad thing is that I will not be supporting the Aston program on the next iteration so I'll miss the opportunity to mingle with car guys there. I don't think Lotus Cars Engineering will be developing the new car, but I still have my contacts there.

If things change financially I'd like to give the S2K a go. Even if I find that the rear is somewhat flawed I'd still keep it. It's got a fantastic engine, nice spec sheet, is purposefully beautiful, sounds fantastic and driven just short of 10/10ths [which I could not do anyway] it would be just fine with a strut brace on the front I suspect. And I must admit that the stiff as sh1t ITR does get a bit tiring sometimes and having a convertible could do wonders on the social scene sometimes.

Next open track day at Waterford Hills Raceway an instructor is to bring his S2K. I've already got dibs on a shotgun ride during his first session. I think that in the dry with U on your game the S2000 is quite competent. It may lack some of the finesse of the Boxster, but we're speaking about Porsche here and we aren't even close to the Boxster S's price. You could have two S2Ks or the price of a loaded Boxster S. And I think that is just the point.

Thank you, Honda for producing such a nice car. Again.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense taken, My R2. The reason I quote certain magazine writers is because they've driven far more than 99% of us. I've never driven a 360 Modena to it's limits and I don't have the skills to do so as I type this. Some of these guys have driven everything under the Sun. I'm speaking about the old magazine Performance Car that was eventually merged into CAR magazine and several of the driver/writers helped form EVO magazine. I fully respect their opinion of a car's steering feel and handling. I also respect Lotus Cars Engineering's [worked with them on the Aston Martin Program] opinion on Vehicle Dynamics. If you take the time to drive with stellar individuals like these - and I have - they can teach you much.
Your point is well taken. Though I still think magazine benchmarking is taking a toll on both real world cars and real world drivers.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chui
[B]

U misunderstand me, TKG 26. I critique things I have a passion for and I merely expect Honda to dominate it's competition in subjective as well as objective measures of sports car performance. I DO enjoy the car. I think it's one of the nicer drives available at any price, but it does not fully subdue the Porsche Boxster in subjective [and if we were more knowledgeable about suspension design, theory and execution, perhaps objectively as well.]

As faar as the little ITR is concerned I've nt read one critical article on the car since it's inception. And that's not an exaggeration. While American magazines focus on objective data primarily and simple prose the Euro mags are more thorough in their evaluation and writing which is one reason I like reading them. When one also considers that manual transmissions, twisty narrow roads and low coefficient of friction roads are the norm [for England, at least] handling and subjectivity on steering and brake feedback will be emphasized more so than here, in general.