Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

best year used nsx? help me

Old 01-12-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best year used nsx? help me

i searched and found out that the 91-93 and 97+ are the better years when shopping for nsx because the 91-93 can be made quite fast with type r final drive gears. they are also lighter because powersteering does not come with the nsx during 91-93. the 97+ are 6spd and are faster than the earlier years. i also read about the tranny "ring" somewhere can cause some problems which needs to be fixed. correct me if im wrong on any of this are there any other things i should look out for ......for example how s2000 (2001) has the plastic window, no tweeters, clutch buzz, things like that which you should avoid when in the market for a used s2000. thanks for the help guys. i hope can get my nsx soon
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go to www.nsxprime.com and click on the FAQ button. There is a list of all the changes done.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:51 PM

www.nsxprime.com is a good message board and will tell you everything you've ever wanted to know.

the old nsx's are stiffer because they are a fixed roof and not the targa top. I don't remember off the top of my head what year that took place, but I just remember when I was thinking about one that I was looking for a 94 because it had the updated ac and dual airbags. The 97+ are 6speed and 3.2L as opposed to the 3.0. I believe the header is also a better design on the newer car. Snap ring is only to the 91 car and a very specific vin range of that year. Basically if your vin falls in that range, you may have a chance at some major costs if the ring snaps.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by acuraintegraman,Jan 12 2005, 10:51 PM
Snap ring is only to the 91 car and a very specific vin range of that year. Basically if your vin falls in that range, you may have a chance at some major costs if the ring snaps.
Nitpicking, but the snap ring issue applies to both '91 and '92 cars. The VIN is for the transmission itself (not the car), and the affected range is shown in one of the NSXPrime FAQs.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:06 PM

94 cars have the color matched roof and newer style wheels, they look exactly the same as the 97 cars. They are slower but respond slightly better to mods, like headers, etc. That's prolly what I'd get...
Old 01-12-2005, 03:27 PM

I have been looking for a used NSX also (for many years already)
finally I narrow it down to only one source (one reliable used car dealer)

hopefully I get my hand on one very soon
Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 PM

94's best year, stiffer lighter chasis, high boost turbo kits, no snap ring failure, updated suspension gemometery, good to mod with OBD I, and relatively cheap. They do not have power steering though, and I hear OBD II tuning for the NSX is only a few months off from becoming a reality for some high boost. I drove a 94. Becareful, the one I drove need a valve job.

Sam
Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 PM

My top choice for what's available in the US would be the 02. I really like the front and rear fascia redesigns and non-pop-up projector headlights. Having the 3.2L 6sp helps also. My biggest gripe about the 02+ is that they're the heaviest of the bunch. If speed is your main concern, I'd look for a 93. It's one the lightest years (as you mentioned), and doesn't fall into the snap ring range (tho, many owners have had that fixed). I believe it was 95 that the NSX-T came out (not 94) with the color-matched roof. The NSX-T does have some additional reinforcements in place to make up for the lack of the solid roof, so they don't give up as much rigidity as some may make it sound. If I had the money, the 02+ would be what I'd shoot for. If not, I'd still likely get a 97 for the 3.2L and 6sp. As for more responsiveness from the 3.0L, that's mainly due to the 3.2L having a better header, providing less room for aftermarket mod gains. Too bad we can't get the hardtop 3.2L 6sp version in the US...that's why I prefaced everything with "US" up top, cuz the hardtop 3.2L 6sp (any) would be my top pic.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Speaking of valve jobs, maintenance on those cars is astronomical. My brother spent something like $3500 for a valve job, timing belt repl., clutch repl., and new brakes. Car (MY92) drives great again, but dang!!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In before Steve C 's you all.

Quick Reply: best year used nsx? help me