Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best Track Car for <$25K

Old 05-11-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by QUIKAG
You know me, a cheapo, high mileage C5 with a head/cam package.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 311 Likes on 149 Posts

Here is The Answer to your $25,000 question:

Find an '00-'01 S2000 with ~40K miles; should be ~$17K in good condition. Another $8K gets you JRZs, CE28Ns, gears, intake, exhaust, RA1s, brake pads/fluid, etc. Stripping the car, if desired, is free ("sweat equity").

With the above, your road course lap times will be competitive with well-driven (but stock) Z06s, 911s, NSXs, etc. And it'll be a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know you don't want to tow but I have no regrets at all from selling my S2000 and buying a nice Formula 2000 for my track car. It's fast, it's a blast to drive, and it's a real racecar. In two years of driving it every month with two drivers in both Solo II's, Solo I's, and track days I've spent less than $100 on repairs and a total of $400 on tires. I was spending an average of $2500 per year on S2000 tires. One set of tires for the Formula car hasn't even been mounted yet. For around 20K you could buy a nice open wheel or sports racer, and an open trailer and the whole thing would almost be light enough to tow to the track with your NSX. Of course I would vote against this unless you want to go faster and corner with more G's than you've ever done before.

There's nothing wrong with the cars suggested above. The S2000 is a great track car. The C5 Vette is also but you'll have the same problem with expensive tires that you've got with the NSX. A Miata or Spec Miata really is a blast to drive as long as you avoid tracks with super long straights and they are cheap to buy and cheap to fix. If by some chance you wad one up it won't hurt your wallet nearly as much as most of the others.

As much as I hate to say it because I don't like FWD track cars the idea of the ITR is good as is the SRT4. You should also be able to find a used Evo in your price range. The fact that Scot's still runs make me think it might not be a bad choice either.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right at the low end of doing a Factory Five Cobra. But Spec Miata would be cheaper. Plenty of other cars are even cheaper (Golf, Rx7) but I doubt as much fun as the drop-tops.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote goes for the Spec Miata. At least if you want to take the track to the next level, you have a race-prepped car for SCCA Spec Miata series.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by CG
I know you don't want to tow but I have no regrets at all from selling my S2000 and buying a nice Formula 2000 for my track car. It's fast, it's a blast to drive, and it's a real racecar.
Got any links?
Old 05-12-2004, 04:29 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get a new EVO for $26K (RS). It's only drawback in my eyes is no ABS.

I don't relally understand what you are looking for. Do you want a car that is not street legal? Or do you want something you can drive to the track?

Just me, but I would not go for a FWD track car. The second gen RX-7 are very cheap, and light weight.

Of course you can always get an Elise and tell your wife it's a $25K car. She'll take one look at the Cellica engine and believe that (J/k). IMO the Elise would be the perfect car for you because it's a true track car that can be driven on the street as well.

Something to think about, if you get a cheap "track car" that's not street legal, you won't get much use out of it. If you get a track/street legal car you can drive it a lot more. So I would pay more for a track car that's also street legal. Don't rule out the Elise because it's price is too high. You have an NSX so you can afford an Elise.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:31 AM

Another Miata vote. Even more fun if you pick up the new MazdaSpeed with the 170hp turbo motor.

It's not blazingly fast, but with minor work it should handle beautifully, and best of all, it's not deadly expensive.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:37 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MDXLuvr
Old 05-12-2004, 09:06 PM

miata!

mods are cheap

car is cheap

if you wreck it.. who cares. get another one

Quick Reply: Best Track Car for <$25K