Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si

Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
The new DIT 2.0 hasn't had any issues. Been solid in the Forester XT. Most of the stuff regarding the WRX/STi in the past has been the EJ motor. And this is why I won't buy a new STi (2015) because it still has the EJ in it while the new Rex got the 2.0 DIT. The ringland issues in the WRX/STi (Mostly in the STi) has to do with the tune some, but really more of the piston rings, especially on the #4 piston which is next to the turbo. Yes they kept massaging the EJ to make it ever more Emissions compliant, which is a dumb decision.

You can forget about all that with the new 2.0. It addresses all that along with the poor fuel economy.

I owned a 2008 GR STi for 3 years and 43k miles with not one issue and no real extra expense in maintenance compared to FWD or RWD. Well I take that back, I did dump the diff fluid in put in Amsoil full synthetic gear lube but I do that on any new car and get the cheap crap out of the diffs/engine.

The new WRX is a solid car. I'm sold on the motor. The Forester guys haven't reported any bs with it and it's the same motor with more HP. Lots of torque at the bottom, at 2k rpm's it's more powerful than the STi.

I called my Subaru contact today and I'll pick one up this year to drive for the next several years until they DIT the STi. This thread pushed me over the edge. I'm tired of FWD in the rain or inclement weather. AWD has a whole lot of benefits that I miss.
I would imagine the direct injection would solve most of the detonation issues. Sounds like the new motor has a great power band.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM

I drive a 13' Si. No complains at all. Great torque and I'm getting 33-35 MPG in my 80% highway daily commute. I have to admit that the new wrx seems like a good choice but in my personal opinion I don't like turbo cars. The ford is too cartoonish to me and the dash is cheap and horrendous but it drives well.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for something w/ similar goals late last year. I was closing in on the Focus ST, but decided to check out the competition and ended up w/ a '13 Civic Si sedan. Here's what influenced my decision:

1) reliability - look at the Focus ST forum vs. a Civic forum. Although Ford quality has improved in recent years, they still have work left to do IMO.
2) price - I got mine w/ Nav for $21,235, w/ 0.9% financing for 60 mos. As an added bonus, the F&I guy gave me a 5 yr., 75K bumper to bumper warranty.
3) under 3K lbs. vs. 3200-3300 range for Focus ST.
4) helical LSD vs. electronic control in the Focus which can burn up your brakes on the track.
5) It was a lot more comfortable, and had impressive power for NA. Much more torque than the Hondas you're probably used to driving. Better shifting, too.

My wife and I really enjoy it. We get around 27-28 mpg in mixed driving, and 33+ on the highway. I installed a Progress 24mm 3-way adjustable rear sway bar, which really helped the handling. It's light and tossable feeling, but needs more/sticker contact patch, and high temp fluid/track-oriented pads for the occasional track foray.

The new WRX seems like it will offer strong competition, but will cost more to run. I'm planning to keep my Si for 5 years, after which time we'll reevaluate.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually picked up a 2014 ST tonight. I'm going to give it a few days before I make any statements but so far I'm happy with the purchase. The ST3 trim Focus is miles better than anything the SI offered, IMO. I ended up getting it for 23 after negotiation, which really sealed the deal for me. The 13 Si in California are going for roughly the same price if you can even find one. I will say one thing though - the Ford blew every expectation I had out of the water. Literally every single one.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

My wife traded her 07 Si for a 13 Si coupe last year, we love it. We considered the ST however we wanted a 2 door.
Levi
Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by honda606' timestamp='1394127010' post='23049586
I was debating these exact vehicles as well until I attended the Houston Auto Show a few weeks back. The ST quickly got removed from my list. Love the specs but the seats were horrible. Made for guys with 32 inseam and below. Not sure what Ford was thinking there. The WRX was nice to look at on the exterior, and the specs are also quite nice, but I couldn't live with that interior. It felt really low grade and wasn't something I would be satisfied with in the long run.

Then I saw and sat in the Mk7 GTI. I'm pretty much sold on it. It will be my first non-Honda car in over 10 years if I go that route. I'm still considering a left over 2013 Si Sedan though. I'm a die-hard Honda fanboi and it's hard to move away, but 2013s with navigation are just far and few between and I'm not really willing to buy a plane ticket to somewhere 1k+ miles away and drive it back. I can't stand what they did with the exterior restyling on the 2014 so that's out of the question.

So 2015 GTI vs 2013 Si Sedan for me. Likely going to gamble on the VW this time around.
I think the ST has two seat options. Were you unhappy with the base or the upgraded seats?
I'm honestly not sure. I was unaware there was more than one option. They were Recaro though so I'm assuming those are the upgraded seats. The bolsters just came up way too soon. I'm not even a big guy. I wear 36x34 pants and my rear couldn't even fit in to the actual seat portion of the seat. I was resting on the bolsters elevated above the actual seat cushion.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by honda606
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1394129597' post='23049678
[quote name='honda606' timestamp='1394127010' post='23049586']
I was debating these exact vehicles as well until I attended the Houston Auto Show a few weeks back. The ST quickly got removed from my list. Love the specs but the seats were horrible. Made for guys with 32 inseam and below. Not sure what Ford was thinking there. The WRX was nice to look at on the exterior, and the specs are also quite nice, but I couldn't live with that interior. It felt really low grade and wasn't something I would be satisfied with in the long run.

Then I saw and sat in the Mk7 GTI. I'm pretty much sold on it. It will be my first non-Honda car in over 10 years if I go that route. I'm still considering a left over 2013 Si Sedan though. I'm a die-hard Honda fanboi and it's hard to move away, but 2013s with navigation are just far and few between and I'm not really willing to buy a plane ticket to somewhere 1k+ miles away and drive it back. I can't stand what they did with the exterior restyling on the 2014 so that's out of the question.

So 2015 GTI vs 2013 Si Sedan for me. Likely going to gamble on the VW this time around.
I think the ST has two seat options. Were you unhappy with the base or the upgraded seats?
I'm honestly not sure. I was unaware there was more than one option. They were Recaro though so I'm assuming those are the upgraded seats. The bolsters just came up way too soon. I'm not even a big guy. I wear 36x34 pants and my rear couldn't even fit in to the actual seat portion of the seat. I was resting on the bolsters elevated above the actual seat cushion.
[/quote]
My recall is fuzzy so I asked Ford.com
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/st5door/
The Recaros are optional. So perhaps the base seats would be more to your liking.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1394140170' post='23050050
[quote name='vader1' timestamp='1394135462' post='23049879']
[quote name='honda606' timestamp='1394127010' post='23049586']

I also would have suggested a look at this car and the 2014 new Mini Cooper S. Same price range, new Mini is larger, fun and great on gas. Won't hit dealers for a couple weeks. I saw one at the Welt in Munich and it was cool.
if he's worried the reliability of a wrx, the mini isn't even an option
[/quote]

Agreed, everyone i know with one, whether the first generation with the Neon super charged motor or the second generation with the Pugeot Turbo motor - both are equally craptacular as far as reliability is concerned.

NA might fair better, but then there's no point when comparing it to the other three on this list. or a GTI/GTD.
[/quote]

New engine in the Mini. BMW.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
So? thats even worse. with their shitty track record and a new engine ill pass.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1394207609' post='23051304

So? thats even worse. with their shitty track record and a new engine ill pass.

My BMW engine is fantastic.

Quick Reply: Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si