Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

It's a Honda forum...

Civic Si is my vote.

Beyond that, i'll go with this logic.
-based on history, will easily be the most reliable of the three
-based on real-world use, will also most likely get the best gas mileage
-based on history, will also have the best resale
-since it's NA, you'll be less likely to be tempted to do anything "stupid" to it (it's you're DD - keep it that way)
-i'm guessing it's also the most nimble of the three and will have the least torque steer/understeer

Something else to add to that list that might be fun
-GTI - no torque steer (reliability likely on par with Ford/Subaru - not sure if that's a good thing. unlikely to best Honda)
-GTD - see above, but in Turbo Diesel form (not a Golf TDI, but a true GTI chassis). Much much better gas mileage than anything listed above. Will also have loads of torque.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
I had a customer at my dealership yesterday literally comparing the 13 civic si and the 13 focus st. He drove both the same day and either my selling skills are off the hook (which they are) or he realized that in the long run the civic si would naturally last longer,resale higher,cost less in maintenance and probably not be discontinued within the first 5 years of production like a lot of domestics seem to be doing recently. Within a few hours he left with a 2013 civic si 4 door yesterday for $20750 and is happy as hell.

To the OP if youre leasing get the ford if it even leases well which most fords don't. If youre going to own get the Honda or subie which will typically be better in the long run
I'll definitely be purchasing the vehicle and not leasing. This is what I'm afraid of with the Focus - massive depreciation. But it won't matter as much if I can get a great deal on it.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by WRX2S2K' timestamp='1394047239' post='23047783
[quote name='vader1' timestamp='1394046600' post='23047754']
My wife just totaled her Focus, it was a decent car, not an ST. My major gripe was that the interior is very tight, and I am a small guy. It is cramped.

The turbo subaru I owned a few years back was not great on gas.

You don't list where you live (so the Subie AWD might not be important)but with a 60 mile commute I would want interior comfort and gas mileage as 1A and 1B in my own personal criterea, and fun to drive behind those. On long commutes I find myself in the right lane with the cruise on so weaving in and out or the ability to do so is not tops on the list.

I have never driven a late model Civic so I can't say much about it. For a small family, a hatchback has its pluses for utility.
I live in Minnesota so AWD would be nice, but not necessary.

That's the one thing with the WRX that I'm concerned about - mileage. But I do think it would be a fun car.

My wife and I are looking for something practical, but still fun and engaging to drive since we'll most likely be selling the S2000.
the new wrx is rated better for gas mileage. 21/28 i believe. I ordered a 2015 wrx premium with HK/Nav. got it for $500 below invoice.
[/quote]

I bow to your negotiation skills. How did you get them down to $500 below invoice?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by rosario717
I had a customer at my dealership yesterday literally comparing the 13 civic si and the 13 focus st. He drove both the same day and either my selling skills are off the hook (which they are) or he realized that in the long run the civic si would naturally last longer,resale higher,cost less in maintenance and probably not be discontinued within the first 5 years of production like a lot of domestics seem to be doing recently. Within a few hours he left with a 2013 civic si 4 door yesterday for $20750 and is happy as hell.

To the OP if youre leasing get the ford if it even leases well which most fords don't. If youre going to own get the Honda or subie which will typically be better in the long run
Rosario, do you know when the 2014 Civic Si sedans are coming in? The dealers around here are saying may or June. I really like the Si, but I'm not sure if me and my bad back can wait that long for a four door for my one year old.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
It's a Honda forum...

Civic Si is my vote.

Beyond that, i'll go with this logic.
-based on history, will easily be the most reliable of the three
-based on real-world use, will also most likely get the best gas mileage
-based on history, will also have the best resale
-since it's NA, you'll be less likely to be tempted to do anything "stupid" to it (it's you're DD - keep it that way)
-i'm guessing it's also the most nimble of the three and will have the least torque steer/understeer

Something else to add to that list that might be fun
-GTI - no torque steer (reliability likely on par with Ford/Subaru - not sure if that's a good thing. unlikely to best Honda)
-GTD - see above, but in Turbo Diesel form (not a Golf TDI, but a true GTI chassis). Much much better gas mileage than anything listed above. Will also have loads of torque.
I really like the GTI's, just not their lack of reliability. And with the MK7's being built in Mexico, this makes me even more apprehensive. But I totally agree, the GTI's are impressive cars; quality interiors, drive nice, great motor, love the DSG, but I've heard so many horror stories on reliability. Maybe it's overblown, but I don't want to find out the hard way it's not.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX2S2K
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1394053850' post='23048048
[quote name='WRX2S2K' timestamp='1394047239' post='23047783']
[quote name='vader1' timestamp='1394046600' post='23047754']
My wife just totaled her Focus, it was a decent car, not an ST. My major gripe was that the interior is very tight, and I am a small guy. It is cramped.

The turbo subaru I owned a few years back was not great on gas.

You don't list where you live (so the Subie AWD might not be important)but with a 60 mile commute I would want interior comfort and gas mileage as 1A and 1B in my own personal criterea, and fun to drive behind those. On long commutes I find myself in the right lane with the cruise on so weaving in and out or the ability to do so is not tops on the list.

I have never driven a late model Civic so I can't say much about it. For a small family, a hatchback has its pluses for utility.
I live in Minnesota so AWD would be nice, but not necessary.

That's the one thing with the WRX that I'm concerned about - mileage. But I do think it would be a fun car.

My wife and I are looking for something practical, but still fun and engaging to drive since we'll most likely be selling the S2000.
the new wrx is rated better for gas mileage. 21/28 i believe. I ordered a 2015 wrx premium with HK/Nav. got it for $500 below invoice.
[/quote]

I bow to your negotiation skills. How did you get them down to $500 below invoice?
[/quote]

no negotiations necessary. a NJ dealer on clubwrx does $500 below invoice on all subarus. a colorado dealer on nasioc & iwsti does $1000 below. NJ dealer is a 15 drive for me
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newest Mazda 3 seems to be getting good reviews plus good gas mileage.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't trust Subaru and their tubro'd motors anymore. There is no way I'd buy the first year on a new platform.

Keep in mind their AWD system is really overrate too. Just get snow tires for your sedan.

I like:
Civic SI - Lots of revs, Honda, and fun
Mazda 3 - it's just a good package and the interior looks great. MPGs out the wazoo.

As for German cars. No thank you. Reliability. Blah. I mean if you're going to dump it after the warranty, no worries.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I don't trust Subaru and their tubro'd motors anymore. There is no way I'd buy the first year on a new platform.

Keep in mind their AWD system is really overrate too. Just get snow tires for your sedan.

I like:
Mazda 3 - it's just a good package and the interior looks great. MPGs out the wazoo.

As for German cars. No thank you. Reliability. Blah. I mean if you're going to dump it after the warranty, no worries.
The engine was used on the forester fxt.

So it's not brand new. And their awd is overrated but snows with their awd is unbeatable.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1394077034' post='23048618

I like:

The engine was used on the forester fxt.

So it's not brand new. And their awd is overrated but snows with their awd is unbeatable.
I own a subi turbo with snows and it's not unbeatable.

Pretty sure the 2015 is a new platform for them. 2016 might be an option of you're a fan.

Quick Reply: Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si