Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si

Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last track event I instructed, my Corvette's brakes were mostly used up by the end of the first day, so I took the Civic Si on Sunday mainly just to fulfill my instructing oblgation - I wasn't really planning to drive it. Weather got nice by early afternoon, so I took it out w/ HPDE 1/2 - admittedly, beginner to intermediate level - but I was passing all kinds of cars including an E46 M3. It was anything but boring despite lackluster grip from the M&S tires - maybe my aftermarket adj. rear sway bar transformed it? IMO, the helical LSD is great, and would be a big advantage over the ST's open diffs. w/ braking for traction management on the track.

Only place on the track where I could really appreciate further suspension tweaking is trail braking into a tight right hand corner (Rattlesnake, for anyone familiar w/ MSR) from a high speed straight - it felt a bit loose and unsettled there, but still very manageable. I'll be tracking it again on Sat. since my Z is in the shop awaiting parts. I sure hope it's back for my event the following weekend, b/c despite my mostly favorable impression, the Z06 is waaaay more fun.

BTW, the Focus ST's Recaros would have killed me on my recent x-country trip. My wife and I were both thankful for the Civic's much more comfy seats then. I like both the Fiesta and Focus ST's though, it's nice to have such cool cars to choose from at bargain-basement prices.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Don't misinterpret my previous post as me telling you what to do. However I'm not a NC native and have spent more than half my life living in the NE. You raise good points but I would still rather have 2 sets of tires. After the initial purchase it's not like having a 2 wheel/tire set up costs more as you're not changing the rate at which the tires wear out.

I know what you're talking about with that blown snow too! Experienced that 3 weeks ago out in Wyoming and I thought it was scary as hell to not be able to see the vehicle just 20 feet in front of you. Oh, and while out in Wyoming part of my group had a FWD Nissan Sentra rental car (which I thought was dumb) equipped with all season tires. And they got stuck and couldn't make it through the Jackson Pass (on a clear sky day) with 1-3" of loose snow on the road.

I didn't state this before but I'm a skier, so I drive on a lot of hills and mtns to get to my ski destinations. I could be wrong but I believe MN is pretty flat? Which makes driving in snow a lot easier. Apologies if I'm wrong with that assumption.
Minnesota doesn't have "mountains" like a lot of other states, but it's not flat. We have terrain. And the state varies in geography - the last ice age left a mess

The point I was trying to make is most winters there's maybe five days with enough snow on the road to warrant a snow tire. Every other winter day you just need a cold weather tire. And of course I'd agree that everyone needs to make a decision based on the conditions they actually run into. And to be realistic. If you get daily fresh snowfall where you live, snow tires on a vehicle with good ground clearance and AWD/4x4 make a lot of sense. But that's not the case for very many people. Snow tires on an AWD car is mostly about peace of mind than it is about need or practical use for the vast majority.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1395268462' post='23071177
[quote name='TommyDeVito' timestamp='1395260353' post='23070970']

I found Conti's Extreme Contact DWS to be an awesome solution for year round driving where I live. Ideally I like having a set of those for fall/winter and summers for spring/summer.

have you tried the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2? I'm going to get either the DWS or the hankooks for my incoming wrx
No I haven't but I will tell you I put the DWS on my STi and had 0 complaints. Great in the rain and dry, worked well in snow. Outstanding tires and if you read the reviews they have an excellent reputation.
When I need tires those are the first on my list. As soon as they come out with a FA STi I'll mount them on a set of rims.
[/quote]

I don't know your situation, but have you found that the tires tend to flatspot overnight in the cold? It takes a significant amount of driving - 30 minutes to an hour - depending on the cold and how long that car has been sitting for the very annoying vibration to go away. I'm not really a fan of that and have never experienced it in an all season tire before.

Other than that issue, I've been happy with the DWS. But the vibration from non-round tires at every speed is a pretty big PITA every time I use the car in the winter. I'm waiting to see how they behave over the rest of the year. I would seriously hesitate to buy them again just from that issue.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S
Last track event I instructed, my Corvette's brakes were mostly used up by the end of the first day, so I took the Civic Si on Sunday mainly just to fulfill my instructing oblgation - I wasn't really planning to drive it. Weather got nice by early afternoon, so I took it out w/ HPDE 1/2 - admittedly, beginner to intermediate level - but I was passing all kinds of cars including an E46 M3. It was anything but boring despite lackluster grip from the M&S tires - maybe my aftermarket adj. rear sway bar transformed it? IMO, the helical LSD is great, and would be a big advantage over the ST's open diffs. w/ braking for traction management on the track.

Only place on the track where I could really appreciate further suspension tweaking is trail braking into a tight right hand corner (Rattlesnake, for anyone familiar w/ MSR) from a high speed straight - it felt a bit loose and unsettled there, but still very manageable. I'll be tracking it again on Sat. since my Z is in the shop awaiting parts. I sure hope it's back for my event the following weekend, b/c despite my mostly favorable impression, the Z06 is waaaay more fun.

BTW, the Focus ST's Recaros would have killed me on my recent x-country trip. My wife and I were both thankful for the Civic's much more comfy seats then. I like both the Fiesta and Focus ST's though, it's nice to have such cool cars to choose from at bargain-basement prices.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 8th Gen civic Si stock on track too. Dare I say it was one of the most fun drives I've ever had on track. Passed a bunch of vettes and GT3 P-cars while giving ridealongs. Definitely a great time.

That being said the Focus would probably (pretty sure) be faster than the Si on track. I'd rather be in the interior of a Focus ST than the Si (its way nicer, and the seats don't break my back since I am not oversized) any day of the week. How you can claim a seat would break your back cross country without actually driving a long distance in them is a bit beyond me. Maybe the perception that the recaros are uncomfortable? Still not reason to speculate, imo.

Glad you liked the Si on track. I thought I'd miss the LSD in the Ford but I can't say I do. The ST takes my old Si up a notch and then some, in pretty much every department except highway commuting mpg. After spending some time with the Ford I would safely say I'd choose it over the Honda 8-9 out of 10 times.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='1395337877' post='23072544
You should pick up a set of STi BBS (the new Rex has same bolt pattern now) and some TPMS sensors and run those for summer tires. Those wheels can be found everywhere for a good price.
well i was thinking of when i get the car sell the OEM tires & that will pay for a set of the DWS so i can just use those on the stock rims all year round. If I get a second set of wheels id rather run a summer/winter combo
Good plan. The busters on the WRX/STi forums will buy them up. I just suggested getting a set of OEM BBS STi wheels so you could run 18's for your summer tires. The DWS are good enough that you won't feel wanting for more but if you have the means might as well have a second set of wheels so you can exploit that chassis via summer rubber and 18's.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM

So my wife and I ended up buying a 2013 Civic Si 4 door with nav for $19,750, which I thought was a pretty good deal. At the end of the day I just felt more comfortable in the long run with a Honda. The Ford was a great driving car and I'm sure it would be fine, but I have more confidence in Honda's engineering/reliability. The car has been great so far. I've been averaging 27mpg and the car is fun to drive, although the Focus would have been more entertaining to drive. The car is quiet on the highway, and the motor makes a great sound when you start pushing it. I really appreciate the usable torque from the 2.4 motor. As much as I like my S2000, sometimes I get tired of reving to 7000 rpm just to keep up with V6 family sedans.

I was really close to getting the WRX, but we already have a CRV and I din't feel like we need two 4WD vehicles. When I'm done with school we'll probably trade in the CRV for a WRX. I really don't feel the need for 4WD, even in MN, but it is nice on occasion. Especially this year.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by WRX2S2K
So my wife and I ended up buying a 2013 Civic Si 4 door with nav for $19,750, which I thought was a pretty good deal. At the end of the day I just felt more comfortable in the long run with a Honda. The Ford was a great driving car and I'm sure it would be fine, but I have more confidence in Honda's engineering/reliability. The car has been great so far. I've been averaging 27mpg and the car is fun to drive, although the Focus would have been more entertaining to drive. The car is quiet on the highway, and the motor makes a great sound when you start pushing it. I really appreciate the usable torque from the 2.4 motor. As much as I like my S2000, sometimes I get tired of reving to 7000 rpm just to keep up with V6 family sedans.

I was really close to getting the WRX, but we already have a CRV and I din't feel like we need two 4WD vehicles. When I'm done with school we'll probably trade in the CRV for a WRX. I really don't feel the need for 4WD, even in MN, but it is nice on occasion. Especially this year.
wow thats an awesome deal
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!

We can split hairs between these cars all day long, but in the end you got a great car for your needs.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by WRX2S2K

Awesome price!!! Post pics
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Yes, that is a great price, which is also what lured me to take the Civic Si for a spin and give it serious consideration. When I got a quote from a dealer, I had to at least check it out.

Quick Reply: Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si