Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si

Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='1395260353' post='23070970
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1395234091' post='23070011']
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1395150503' post='23068387']
All season tires are satisfactory at everything, but great at nothing.
This x1000. I wish more non-car people would realize this.
I found Conti's Extreme Contact DWS to be an awesome solution for year round driving where I live. Ideally I like having a set of those for fall/winter and summers for spring/summer.

[/quote]

have you tried the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2? I'm going to get either the DWS or the hankooks for my incoming wrx
[/quote]

I test drove a 2006 WRX in the rain with the Continentals and it rode great on those tires! AWD+ DWS -- Rain/Puddles--->Pwned
Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an iphone?

Carplay in the Si looks mighty interesting to me!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1395146243' post='23068280
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1394816845' post='23062940']
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1394803068' post='23062546']
[quote name='TommyDeVito' timestamp='1394434842' post='23054723']
You'll be carrying children/infants and you'd rather have fwd then AWD? Part of the reason I'm getting another one is for that reason. Rain, snow, ice, the AWD pwns all. At least go drive an Impreza.
With proper tires those conditions are managable. And if the snow is really bad? I stay home. Not worth risk.

It always seems like some people have it in their head that AWD is the end all, be all of slick roads. You can certainly go faster with AWD, but remember you still have to be able to get stopped...
All 3 cars being discussed here come with OEM tires that are not suitable for winter driving. Ego, your argument is void since the OP will mounting winter tires regardless of his choice.

[/quote]

I drove up to Snow Bowl in Flagstaff last week, and there was a lot of fresh snow, some of it on a very twisty road w/ huge elevation changes. My Civic Si performed like a champ w/ the OEM 4 season tires. Would awd have been better? Sure, but IMO the limiting factor is braking, and all else being equal the lighter car (Civic Si, under 3K lbs.) is going to stop better. I'm very satisfied w/ my Civic Si in all weather conditions, though the WRX will be a candidate for its eventual replacement.
[/quote]

Very nice. I was under the impression that the Civic Si came with summer tires. Guess that's just for the HPD package?

[/quote]

At least for '13, summer tires are an option, unless you have nav in which case all-seasons are the only choice. I don't drive like an ass on public roads, and the OEM all seasons have proven totally adequate for me. On the track, they squeal like a pig, and leave a lot to be desired, but I can still have fun w/ them when my Z06 is in the shop (getting upgrades, not b/c it's broken). Which reminds me, I need to adjust the rear swaybar to the stiffest position for this weekend.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i dont think you can go wrong with the SI
great gearbox, great seats, great mpg, and a peppy high revving motor, what more would you want in daily driver?

im not sure what people are talking about saying there boring, not sure what everyone is looking for in a daily driver.....assuming everyone on this forum has an s2000 that they can takeout when they want some real excitement

i could understand not wanting it if you wanted to go a different route like more luxury, leather and an automatic

if you want AWD and good gas mileage forget the wrx and just get a fully loaded impreza wagon, its mileage rivals that of 2wd cars, very nice car i must say!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hand banana
i dont think you can go wrong with the SI great gearbox, great seats, great mpg, and a peppy high revving motor, what more would you want in daily driver? im not sure what people are talking about saying there boring, not sure what everyone is looking for in a daily driver.....assuming everyone on this forum has an s2000 that they can takeout when they want some real excitement i could understand not wanting it if you wanted to go a different route like more luxury, leather and an automatic if you want AWD and good gas mileage forget the wrx and just get a fully loaded impreza wagon, its mileage rivals that of 2wd cars, very nice car i must say!
I agree with this completely, however, an ST is more fun to drive than an Si, which is what it comes down to. Actually, a Fiesta ST is more fun than both of them. Like someone else said, unless you live in an environment where it snows for months at a time, get whatever is better to drive and which suits your needs. Otherwise, an FF car with some adequate tires will be fine

Or just take the S in the snow and have an incredibly large
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Chris, thanks for the clarification. And I apologize if I helped push this thread OT a bit with all the tire talk.

Originally Posted by hand banana
i dont think you can go wrong with the SI
great gearbox, great seats, great mpg, and a peppy high revving motor, what more would you want in daily driver?

im not sure what people are talking about saying there boring, not sure what everyone is looking for in a daily driver.....assuming everyone on this forum has an s2000 that they can takeout when they want some real excitement

i could understand not wanting it if you wanted to go a different route like more luxury, leather and an automatic

if you want AWD and good gas mileage forget the wrx and just get a fully loaded impreza wagon, its mileage rivals that of 2wd cars, very nice car i must say!
Compared to the other cars mentioned, the Si IS the boring choice. And I think you forgot which engine the Si now has, the K24A. A 4 cylinder engine with a 7100 rpm redline is not "high revving".
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

While we are talking tires...

Love the Goodyear Eagles on my wife's TSX. I have searched for a long time to find the tire that can do it in most any conditions, and this one is it. Can't wait to get a set on my Si.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flashpro tuned plus cat delete for the Si will make it more fun to drive.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='1395260353' post='23070970
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1395234091' post='23070011']
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1395150503' post='23068387']
This x1000. I wish more non-car people would realize this.
I found Conti's Extreme Contact DWS to be an awesome solution for year round driving where I live. Ideally I like having a set of those for fall/winter and summers for spring/summer.

[/quote]

have you tried the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2? I'm going to get either the DWS or the hankooks for my incoming wrx
[/quote]

No I haven't but I will tell you I put the DWS on my STi and had 0 complaints. Great in the rain and dry, worked well in snow. Outstanding tires and if you read the reviews they have an excellent reputation.
When I need tires those are the first on my list. As soon as they come out with a FA STi I'll mount them on a set of rims.

You should pick up a set of STi BBS (the new Rex has same bolt pattern now) and some TPMS sensors and run those for summer tires. Those wheels can be found everywhere for a good price.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
You should pick up a set of STi BBS (the new Rex has same bolt pattern now) and some TPMS sensors and run those for summer tires. Those wheels can be found everywhere for a good price.
well i was thinking of when i get the car sell the OEM tires & that will pay for a set of the DWS so i can just use those on the stock rims all year round. If I get a second set of wheels id rather run a summer/winter combo

Quick Reply: Best DD: 2014 Focus ST, 2015 WRX, 2014 Civic Si