Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

best bang for buck ferrari

Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 21 2009, 04:43 PM
Ferrari doesn't allow (or at least strongly discourages) dealers from selling new cars above MSRP, but demand on new models often greatly exceeds the supply.

Those lucky enough to get "in the family" (as mentioned, by buying used ones, preferably from the dealer) and buy one @ MSRP have a couple of options if they don't want to keep their new Ferrari long.
- sell back to the dealer for about what he/she paid for it, and continue having the opportunity to buy future Ferraris @ MSRP. The dealer then makes the big margin on the used car sale
- make a killing by selling it yourself, but at the expense of being kicked out of the family.

This is the cliff notes version as told to me by the guy who sold me my Cayman S. He had an F430 bought new, which was I believe his third Ferrari but his first new one.

Of course, this applies mainly to the hottest, in demand models. Anyone off the street could probably get a new 612 fairly easily.
Exactly. Just to add a little more detail to this sordid affair, these guys who are on this inside turn over cars all the time. F-chat is full of guys on their 2nd or even 3rd 430/Stradale/Scud (whatever the current car is), all bought new and spec'd out by them, none costing them much more than TT&L, insurance and gas. ...while the rest of world either gets stuffed at the end of a several year waiting list or has to pay absurd markups.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by zachismisitok,Sep 21 2009, 07:47 PM
Im going to take a jab at this question.

It's not about being comfortable. It's about not wanting to work unless I'm at work. And until "using a wrench" starts to pay a little more, I'm gonna let other professionals handle it, especially on a ferrari.

(Yes, I do do small maintnence (oil pads etc etc) )

( yes I did just double () you )
I guess I just don't get this mentality. I am completely willing to accept the possibility that I am wrong or in the minority here, but the way I see it, having a performance car is not the same thing as buying a nice TV or washing machine.

With appliances, you buy the top of the line one and you pay some schmuck to fix it. With a car, you buy it for the experience which includes working on it. This might be th byproduct of always owning performance cars that need to be worked on, but still. lol
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Sep 22 2009, 10:07 AM
Exactly. Just to add a little more detail to this sordid affair, these guys who are on this inside turn over cars all the time. F-chat is full of guys on their 2nd or even 3rd 430/Stradale/Scud (whatever the current car is), all bought new and spec'd out by them, none costing them much more than TT&L, insurance and gas. ...while the rest of world either gets stuffed at the end of a several year waiting list or has to pay absurd markups.
So you're saying that those who are in the Ferrari circle jerk club are given first dibs at buying new Ferraris at MSRP. Whereas, those who can afford to buy them but have not been invited into the circle jerk are forced to wait for a new one or buy one second hand from one of the circle jerk fellas, typically at a higher price than the circle jerk guys would pay for it?

Is that about right?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 AM

^ That about sums it up. There's actually a requirement to own like 3-4 other Ferraris before they (might) invite you to buy their halo supercars.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Sep 22 2009, 10:53 AM
So you're saying that those who are in the Ferrari circle jerk club are given first dibs at buying new Ferraris at MSRP. Whereas, those who can afford to buy them but have not been invited into the circle jerk are forced to wait for a new one or buy one second hand from one of the circle jerk fellas, typically at a higher price than the circle jerk guys would pay for it?

Is that about right?
lol and eww @ mental picture, I'm never sitting in any ferrari that has been in your dreams
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZDan, "Car and Driver
Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Former Moderator

Honestly unless you get an F360 or one of the 308's you will pay too much to maintain the vehicles.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Sep 22 2009, 10:49 AM
I guess I just don't get this mentality. I am completely willing to accept the possibility that I am wrong or in the minority here, but the way I see it, having a performance car is not the same thing as buying a nice TV or washing machine.

With appliances, you buy the top of the line one and you pay some schmuck to fix it. With a car, you buy it for the experience which includes working on it. This might be th byproduct of always owning performance cars that need to be worked on, but still. lol
you are in the minority.

with other cars, yeah, working on it is part of the ownership experience. e.g. Mustang and hot rods owners.

with modern cars (esp Porsche and Ferrari), to gain entry into the "club" generally means you are a high earning white collar worker. These folks don't have the desire, time, or means to fix the cars themselves.

take me for instance, my patients for, some weird reasons, expect that my fingers and finger nails to be pristine when I operate on their eyes. Grit and dirt under the fingernails are frowned upon. Ditto the cardiothoracic surgeon a few rooms down from me.

reading this thread makes me want to get a Porsche.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Sep 22 2009, 05:09 PM
Honestly unless you get an F360 or one of the 308's you will pay too much to maintain the vehicles.
What's the major maintenance delta in a 355 vs. a 360?

From my very cursory pricing check, it looks like ~$35K-40K purchase difference. Any ideas about the maintenance over the course of, let's say, 25K miles (assuming starting with a sub-20K mile car) between the two models?

Of course the 360 a better/faster/newer, but I'm wondering how things shake down from a pure cost consideration over ~3-4 years, 25K miles, including the initial purchase[?]
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Former Moderator

I believe, but need confirmation, basically the 360 and newer had design changes that required less engine out services/repairs and the timing belt was changed to a chain. I have a business partner that had a 355 and it ate him alive in maintainence. 8k here, 20k there...he said, f that and got a 911.

Quick Reply: best bang for buck ferrari