Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

best bang for buck ferrari

Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari Maint just doesn't make sense to me, you can now buy a 400 hp Lexus/BMW that will last 200K with normal oil changes. You can get 500 hp Z06's, Mustangs, etc... and have virtually no maint on those high perf parts.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Sep 21 2009, 08:00 PM
That 328 doesn't sound too slow. Sub 6 second 0-60 isn't bad. I see two for sale locally but still expensive at $50K & $80K.
Let's put it this way: Your S2000 is faster.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Sep 21 2009, 10:29 PM
I am quite serious with this question...

Are you guys all pussies?

Ok, so maybe I'm joking a bit, but aside from the price of parts, can't you absorb the maintenance costs by doing the labor yourself?

Are you guys not that comfortable with a wrench?
I have worked on some of the older cars and agreed, for basic stuff they are not that difficult. For oil, coolant changes, and brakes, they are very workable cars. V12 cars can have valve adjustments done with the motor still in the car such as the Testorossa. But for most anything else, the older models are motor and trans out services for timing belts, water pumps, oil leaks etc. This service is not done in a day either. About 6 years ago I was looking at a used 308 fuel injected model targa. I can't remember what they called it. GTBI or something. Anyways, the car looked to be in awsome shape and and had about 35k miles on it and was due for the big service including services based on time. The car was available for just under 40k at the local Ferrari dealer. Sooo, I went back to service to find out what was involved for the service and I was like you kidding right? The car is only 40k and the service would be between 10 and 15k depending on what they would find once they pulled the motor out from trans seals, crank seals, hoses, water pump, but the price did include a new clutch since they said while you have it out you might as well do it. Then you good for a while. So find one that has had the sevices done or plan on 2k a year for service.
The best bang for the buck is a new one with the optional prepaid service for 5 years.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 AM

so what have I learned from this thread:

You can indeed buy a used and old ferrari for only a fraction of the original price.

But, it won't be all that fast (fast for it's time but not compared to some of the newer sports cars) and the maintenance will probably cost more than what I paid for the car
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 21 2009, 01:43 PM
Ferrari doesn't allow (or at least strongly discourages) dealers from selling new cars above MSRP, but demand on new models often greatly exceeds the supply.
I have a close friend that were actually ready to buy a Ferrari in Toronto Canada, and they said it was a 4 year wait, unless he wanted to drop down another $20K, which would put at the front of the line. He laughed and ended up getting a P car.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 AM

good for him, say no to the man!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020,Sep 21 2009, 04:49 PM
I just don't know if I can stomach the $5K annual maintenance cost.
Then you're not ready to own one. I thought about buying a used 355 a few times since the prices are affoardable but if you aren't willing to flush 5-6K down the toilet at any time to properly service that car you shouldn't own one IMO.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just the service cost, but think about how you'd feel if the engine blew, or the clutch went out.

A friend of mine bought a 360 last year for around $80K. He turned it into his DD, and thought he couldn't lose money b/c he bought it so cheap. I was a custom blue w/ blue leather interior, not exactly the most desirable color combo in a Ferrari, and it was a bit rough cosmetically by F-car standards.

In his year (or less) or Ferrari ownership, the car needed some $22K of maint. and repairs, part of which was funded by the car audio shop that burned up his clutch. He sold it for in the low $60's, which was prob. a record low for a non-wrecked, good running 360.

I drove it, and enjoyed the experience, but I never even considered buying it. A 430 would be very tempting if I was in a higher income bracket, b/c it seems to be the first Ferrari that's maintained somewhat like a normal car.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM

wow, I would sue the crap out of the audio place. you can do that can't you
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Sep 21 2009, 07:29 PM
I am quite serious with this question...

Are you guys all pussies?

Ok, so maybe I'm joking a bit, but aside from the price of parts, can't you absorb the maintenance costs by doing the labor yourself?

Are you guys not that comfortable with a wrench?
Some of the maitenance that's been reported is a full engine inspection/rebuild at 20K which consists pulling out the engine. I'm sure oil changes and such are doable but major repairs seem to be just as frequent and very costly. Also, if you were buying a 355, wouldn't you want to see a huge stack of service records from a reputable shop?
If you google people who've owned teh 355 there's lots of documented experiences of people having to spend thousands upon thousands just to keep the car running.
Also, one reason why they charge so much is opportunity cost, a ferrari mechanic who's considered to be a highly skilled technician won't see nearly as many cars as say a Honda tech, but he will need to adhere to the same standards not to mention deliver a higher quality experience (clean garage, cater to a higher end clientele), experience and training is a lot more difficult and costly to obtain, etc etc. And then you also stir in some of the exclusive mindset and there you go. It's kinda like comparing s2000 parts vs. miata parts, just compare the hardtops. Economies of scale.

Quick Reply: best bang for buck ferrari