Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

best bang for buck ferrari

Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/PastVeh...Quattrovalvole/

^edmunds bought a 86 308. their experience makes the right ferrari look like it reasonable venture.

nice looking car if you ask me.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Sep 21 2009, 12:39 PM
Based on a number threads on the subject over at Ferrari chat, I'd say hands down the answer is a well sorted 328 or a late 308 quttrovalvo. They have all the sounds and looks of Ferrari ownership, but are relatively simple machines that came at the end of a long production run. They won't outrun a BMW 335i, but then again neither will a 355 and even a 360 would have trouble doing so, so unless you're ready to crack into the >$100k range, just forget about outright speed.

355s are not problematic per se, but have a few potential problem areas which could lead to epic repair costs- valve retainers being one of the (95-98 cars). Many 355s are F1s, which also can require expensive repairs should something go wrong.

I have noticed 360s dropping under $100k and are generally reliable though if it was me I'd still avoid the F1.

As with most Ferraris, maintenance is considerably more expensive than on other cars- the regular belt job for mid-engine v8s is a $6k engine-out affair. There is a theory which states that Ferraris cost in maintenance what other cars lose in resale. That may be true in many situations, but the past year has been particularly cruel to 360/F430 values. However if the market really has corrected itself, now may indeed be another "good time" to jump in.

The last thought I'll leave you with is a golden rule of Ferraris, and really applies to most things- never get the cheapest one you can find, it will cost you far more in the long run than a good one would have.
Great post.

From what I understand, pre-F360 cars are unreliable, high maintainence, and tempermental.

The F355 for example suffers from huge engine out services. The leather on the dash shrinks on a lot of them (456, 550/575, 355/348, etc). The seats wear badly quickly. The paint around the butresses on the F355 starts to crack from stress. Of course you have tires, regular service, insurance, etc.

I have heard/read that the 360 (6M) models are the 'first' truely driveable/reliable Ferraris - but of course they come with high repair/operating costs as well. That said, I would look for a low mile '99-00-01 F360 6M with service records. Some are in the 70s-80s to low 100s for pristine cars.

Or just get a Porsche.

"You have an affair with an Italian, you marry a German."
Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

we had a F355 Spyder at our dealership... Stole it at 30k, prestine mofo...Its nice, but if I'm getting any kind of Ferrari I need to have my bank account ready for anything.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye,Sep 21 2009, 02:36 PM
Or just get a Porsche.

"You have an affair with an Italian, you marry a German."
just how do you have an affair?

marry = purchase
affair = rent? lease?

note: this is not a sarcastic post. I have been entertaining getting a F360 or F430 for quite a while now. I just don't know if I can stomach the $5K annual maintenance cost.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,Sep 21 2009, 04:49 PM
just how do you have an affair?

marry = purchase
affair = rent? lease?

note: this is not a sarcastic post. I have been entertaining getting a F360 or F430 for quite a while now. I just don't know if I can stomach the $5K annual maintenance cost.
Its just a saying. I suppose it could mean a few things. A: Have the means to buy a Ferrari and put under 2K miles a year on it like many owners. B: Rent one C: Lease one short term.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 PM

As a side note though, and this is an honest question.... a Ferrari is a car and made up of nuts and bolts like any other... do you guys think you could do some of the maintainence items, even extensive one, with the right parts/tools - or are Ferrari Nazis about their parts too? Its not like the mechanics keep fairy dust in their tool boxes..
Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy an F40 and wait
Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=rnye,Sep 21 2009, 05:54 PM] As a side note though, and this is an honest question.... a Ferrari is a car and made up of nuts and bolts like any other... do you guys think you could do some of the maintainence items, even extensive one, with the right parts/tools - or are Ferrari Nazis about their parts too?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rnye,Sep 21 2009, 05:54 PM
As a side note though, and this is an honest question.... a Ferrari is a car and made up of nuts and bolts like any other... do you guys think you could do some of the maintainence items, even extensive one, with the right parts/tools - or are Ferrari Nazis about their parts too? Its not like the mechanics keep fairy dust in their tool boxes..
I've thought the same thing. I think that one of the main issues with this is that resale value will take a nose dive for the period without any concrete service history.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye,Sep 21 2009, 05:54 PM
i think people are scared that it will devalue the car if they touch it themselves.
some of the owners are the most capable mechanics, and there are many reputable 3rd party shops you can bring your cars to. yet for the sake of the value they'll bring it to the dealer.
i think the same reason applies when people insist on writing down "dealer maintained" on the ad when they sell the cars.
you are right, ferrari is just another car in the end, but at the same time what people are paying for is more the name than the car itself.

Quick Reply: best bang for buck ferrari