Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Been Discussed? Civic Type R

Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

The Honda insider that's been feeding us news on the NSX ahead of schedule says the Type R ran a 7:55 around the 'Ring. It has also been confirmed that the Seat Cupra ran with the A/C removed (weight savings) and non-spec wheels to clear the big brakes. So, technically not a production car (at least not yet).

The insider also claims that the updated Type R mule will have P-AWS (performance all wheel steering), a new rear suspension and updated (more powerful) engine.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a little cheating from the Seat Cupra but hey, I bet all the companies have something extra or less about their "production" cars that lap the Ring. It's just a lap time though

All these cars are getting super sophisticated with computer controlled gizmos. It's making them really fast when incorporated with proper Aero and tires. think new c7 and ZL1 camaro. The GM Engineers went the other way with the Z/28 though and took away many of the nannies for more standard motorsport equipment. Z/28 is faster now in the right hands.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1395340919' post='23072657
Give the Viper modern tires and then it's a (semi) fair comparison. Tires make a huge difference, especially for a car like that with massive torque. Michelin recently came out with a new bespoke tire for the Porsche Carrera GT and that one modification lowered it's 'Ring time by 10 seconds.
Just to make this clear, you just said that a $90K RWD Viper with 500 hp needs better tires to compete with a FWD Civic with 300 hp. Think about that. Tires? It ain't the tires, bud, it's the whole stinkin' car that's being built to an amazing level to get that kind of a lap time. The NBR is a very fast track where hp is needed and the idea that a 500 hp Viper can (potentially) barely outrun a 300 hp Civic is definitely not just due to tires.
First, unless you drive them both on the same day with the same driver the times vary all over the place. If you look at Wikipedia's list of lap times (I'm not aware of a better documented list) the times are all over the place, even for near identical vehicles. Second, the heavier and more powerful a car becomes the effects of a good tire has an exponential effect on performance. If you put the developmental Type R mule and SRT10 both on some identical shitty all season tires I don't have a hard time believing the Type R would/could be faster.

That's not to say I don't believe Honda when they say they can hit their target goals. And either way, super impressive. But also, to put so much effort into a vehicle like that and only offer it in a small market seems foolish and wasteful.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes, but we're still talking about a car with a 200hp deficit...on a track with enough high speed sections to make that a huge obstacle to overcome.

We both know the SRT10 was running decent tires, albeit not R-compounds (or similar street tires like a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup). We just don't know what the Type-R ran but EITHER WAY, it's amazing that cars with under 300 hp are running the same times (effectively) as a 500 hp Viper that costs 2x-3x more while using a street-legal tire.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 PM

can't deny that
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend was telling me his inside at Honda R&D claimed they were bringing the Type R stateside.

But my friend is also a moron, so not sure how we can take that. I told him not a chance in hell it would come here, but I would be very happy if it did.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM

hahahaha
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Honda insider that's been feeding us news on the NSX ahead of schedule says the Type R ran a 7:55 around the 'Ring. It has also been confirmed that the Seat Cupra ran with the A/C removed (weight savings) and non-spec wheels to clear the big brakes. So, technically not a production car (at least not yet).

The insider also claims that the updated Type R mule will have P-AWS (performance all wheel steering), a new rear suspension and updated (more powerful) engine.
You're the " Honda Insider!!

Spreading mucho propaganda.

Just playing Brotha....Breaking ya balls.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 AM

Updated info from Japanese magazine "Best Car":

Close to 360 hp (looking to match the 180 hp/L record set by Mercedes for a boosted production engine)
Ultimate goal to beat best NSX time of 7:56
"R" button for race mode to allow for max power
50% better fuel economy compared to previous CTR in European cycle
Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updated info from Japanese magazine "Best Car":

Close to 360 hp (looking to match the 180 hp/L record set by Mercedes for a boosted production engine)
Ultimate goal to beat best NSX time of 7:56
"R" button for race mode to allow for max power
50% better fuel economy compared to previous CTR in European cycle
360HP never coming to USA now.. .

Quick Reply: Been Discussed? Civic Type R