Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Been Discussed? Civic Type R

Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

You're right - makes much more sense for them to make a RWD car that definitely will NOT be the fastest in the world (will never beat a McLaren P1) instead of making the fastest FWD car that uses a high-spec engine that will be used elsewhere and is affordable by the masses, employs a current platform (albeit heavily modified) and will beat cars twice or thrice its price around a track.

Yup, they definitely weren't thinking this one through.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if they wanna make a profit (we all know that's pretty much all honda cares about) then why not offer it rwd. I'm sure they'd sell more. Again, good for honda "possibly" making the fastest fwd car ever but at the end of the day, it's still fwd and lame. Imo
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Lame is subjective. Imagine what you'll think when it leaves you for dead at the track. Who's lame then? The one in the FWD, lame car....that's way faster? Or the guy in the "proper" RWD car that can barely get out of its own way (relatively speaking)?

I want a RWD car from Honda as well but that doesn't make this Civic lame. It just means it isn't what I want.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Lame is subjective. Imagine what you'll think when it leaves you for dead at the track. Who's lame then? The one in the FWD, lame car....that's way faster? Or the guy in the "proper" RWD car that can barely get out of its own way (relatively speaking)?

I want a RWD car from Honda as well but that doesn't make this Civic lame. It just means it isn't what I want.
it's not what a lot of people want anymore.. especially at that price. many people prefer slower cars that are more fun (s2k>mazdaspeed 3). i really doubt being marketed as the fastest FWD will excite anyone
Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
There was a video floating around somewhere of a European Civic Type R beating an AP1 S2000 around a track.
I'm pretty sure a 15 year new Ford Focus will beat a 2000 Ford Mustang. Or 15 year new Camaro will beat a 2000 Corvette around a track.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM

Actually, this over priced "lame" fwd civic will never pass me at a track because it'll never enter the states. Also, what makes more sense. Buy a new over priced, fwd civic, or spend a third of that on an s2k, mod it, heck you could even supercharge it and fully deck it out to track and still come out will less into it and then who's going to be crying, that lame fwd civic, every time.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right - makes much more sense for them to make a RWD car that definitely will NOT be the fastest in the world (will never beat a McLaren P1) instead of making the fastest FWD car that uses a high-spec engine that will be used elsewhere and is affordable by the masses, employs a current platform (albeit heavily modified) and will beat cars twice or thrice its price around a track.

The Cobalt SS turbo will probably run faster Ring times....Thats the top of the FWD food chain.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1395428814' post='23074578

The Cobalt SS turbo will probably run faster Ring times....Thats the top of the FWD food chain.
No, just no
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by __Ap2__s2k
Well if they wanna make a profit (we all know that's pretty much all honda cares about) then why not offer it rwd. I'm sure they'd sell more. Again, good for honda "possibly" making the fastest fwd car ever but at the end of the day, it's still fwd and lame. Imo
No civic will EVER be RWD. Most people have no idea the difference between RWD and FWD and really don't care. It really won't stop people from buying it. Also, is it not the purpose of every business ever to make a profit? Not sure why you tried to take a shot at honda with that comment
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

We'll wait and see and revisit it once it's run the ring. If Honda says it'll be the fastest, one thing I know is that it will be faster than 8:07 (which was the record when they said it) and, if it beats the Megane, sub-8 minutes.

Honda isn't one to miss performance targets and I have no reason to think this one to be any different.
sub 8 minutes Ring time means the Civic R belongs in the company of NSX-R, 911GT3, F430, C6 Vette, RS4, R8. Cars with 400+ HP along with aero aides (except the NSX-R).
If you strip the Civic, swap to a bigger turbo, put on slicks, large wings, yeah. but stock? I don't know.

Quick Reply: Been Discussed? Civic Type R