Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Been Discussed? Civic Type R

Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying the mugen civic for 30k is even dumber than buying this thing for around 40 lol at least it performs amazingly, unlike the mugen which is just a body kit and wheels. I applaud honda for what they've aimed for and achieved with this new type r. But it won't sell here at their price. Not in big numbers at least. And we all know honda won't sell something unless it brings them profit. The exact reason we no longer have the rsx, s2000 and so on
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Give the Viper modern tires and then it's a (semi) fair comparison. Tires make a huge difference, especially for a car like that with massive torque. Michelin recently came out with a new bespoke tire for the Porsche Carrera GT and that one modification lowered it's 'Ring time by 10 seconds.
Just to make this clear, you just said that a $90K RWD Viper with 500 hp needs better tires to compete with a FWD Civic with 300 hp. Think about that. Tires? It ain't the tires, bud, it's the whole stinkin' car that's being built to an amazing level to get that kind of a lap time. The NBR is a very fast track where hp is needed and the idea that a 500 hp Viper can (potentially) barely outrun a 300 hp Civic is definitely not just due to tires.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
However you don't know what changes (if any) would need to be made to accommodate US crash standards. It's not like Germany has lack requirements. It's hearsay at this point.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. US crash standards consist of both tested elements and required equipment specs. So you can have a car that was built for the Japanese market and maybe will survive any crash test scenario in America, but it is not going to meet the same standards for things like headlamp position or windshield glass thickness. Those things must be changed, which saddles the manufacturer with additional cost.

I literally don't think there is such a thing as building a car that sell in the exact same same configuration in all markets due to the fact that different countries require different items to be checked off the list.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Interestingly enough, it's probably quicker than all of the cars you mention. We're talking under 8 minutes around the Nurburgring...
Got a link for that? All I can find is marketing BS and no actual listed time. I did find an article that quotes a Honda exec saying it's just not going to happen:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/273678/h...d-admits-exec/

So you may want to dial back the fanboy. I don't think the car will be much faster than the Renault Megane, much less run under 8 minutes. Pretending it's already happened is just pretending.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1395277503' post='23071420
Interestingly enough, it's probably quicker than all of the cars you mention. We're talking under 8 minutes around the Nurburgring...
Got a link for that? All I can find is marketing BS and no actual listed time. I did find an article that quotes a Honda exec saying it's just not going to happen:
http://www.caradvice...rd-admits-exec/

So you may want to dial back the fanboy. I don't think the car will be much faster than the Renault Megane, much less run under 8 minutes. Pretending it's already happened is just pretending.
I looked all over for a link to this 8 min n'ring lap, till I realized it never happened. Just a lofty goal they set.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1395277503' post='23071420
http://www.caradvice.com.au/273678/h...d-admits-exec/

The Magane is their target, which means sub-8 minute time. Even if it doesn't happen (ie, if it beats 8:07, which was the old mark), it's still faster than the other cars we discussed.

I didn't pretend it's happened - I was merely pointing to their expectation of a Ring time.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Have you looked at Nurburgring times to see what other cars are under 8 minutes? It's way quicker than an STi or Evo X around that track, for sure. We're talking a lap time that's similar to a last-generation Dodge Viper GTS and faster than a CTS-V.

Off the line, yes, it can't put power down as well but once it's rolling, it'll do just fine, I think.
There is no Nurburgring time for the new Civic Type R but you are insisting it is faster than known, very fast cars based on lap times that don't exist. WTF is pretending if that's not what you are doing?

It's OK, I'm just saying going on and on about how much faster this Civic is than some other very fast, very real cars based purely on marketing talk is silly. Pretty much textbook Honda fanboy behavior, as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 AM

We'll wait and see and revisit it once it's run the ring. If Honda says it'll be the fastest, one thing I know is that it will be faster than 8:07 (which was the record when they said it) and, if it beats the Megane, sub-8 minutes.

Honda isn't one to miss performance targets and I have no reason to think this one to be any different.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 AM

I think they need to quit wasting their time with sporty fwd cars and give us something rwd again. Take that motor, turn it 90 degrees and give it to us lol
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by __Ap2__s2k
I think they need to quit wasting their time with sporty fwd cars and give us something rwd again. Take that motor, turn it 90 degrees and give it to us lol
^ ^ ^
This.

If this car is really as good as they say it is, then, imagine it in RWD platform. Not sure what Honda is trying to prove by coming up with the fastest-wrong-wheel-drive car, other than being able to say, "see what a FWD Civic can do with all that jazz?"

Quick Reply: Been Discussed? Civic Type R