Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Been Discussed? Civic Type R

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

It'll be way faster than the S2000 around a track. Similar weight (maybe lighter), more power, more torque and all sorts of new technology. Straight line should be faster as well, especially once it's hooked up.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a video floating around somewhere of a European Civic Type R beating an AP1 S2000 around a track.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
With that said, the car above looks like an Autobot. I'm a 40 year old guy and I can't drive to work in a transformer.

I am looking German for the next toy, and while I am 44 and ricey is not my kind of thing, I still think this looks pretty cool. Would I drive it to work? I dunno. Although the area I work is riced out city, so this would be more likely to be messed with than something German.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
There was a video floating around somewhere of a European Civic Type R beating an AP1 S2000 around a track.
5th gear a few years ago UK S2000 vs. Japan's Mugen Civic Type R. I'd like to see a few more track examples then their one off. While Kit is a reasonable driver both laps looked rather tame. The difference on 42 s was about 1.8 second if I recall faster then the S2000, but the suspension on the Civic was harsh to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukHNCNGpns
Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

I love the idea of this car. I have a 2010 GTI with over 300 ft lbs of torque and you can run through the gears without having your hand on the wheel (unless the road is uneven). Front wheel drive done right can be pretty awesome and I'd love to see Honda's take on the hot hatch.

With that said, the car above looks like an Autobot. I'm a 40 year old guy and I can't drive to work in a transformer.

I actually thought the same thing when I first looked at it..

(and fyi..I have an agreement with my local dealership that if they do announce availability in the US I will order one). Hopefully Optimus Prime transforms (no pun intended) from concept to production.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the idea of this car. I have a 2010 GTI with over 300 ft lbs of torque and you can run through the gears without having your hand on the wheel (unless the road is uneven). Front wheel drive done right can be pretty awesome and I'd love to see Honda's take on the hot hatch.

looks more like a decepticon
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

All this talk about the torque steer, this hot hatch concept is really popular in Europe and the press over there rave about cars like the Renault Megane (which is quite cool looking in person) and those are FWD. Lots of cool sporty hatchs roll past you all the time. I am not sure why the auto makers are convinced they won't sell here.

A) Gas is not as it used to be, so hot hatches are more appealing.

B) The interiors have come a long way, so a hot hatch is not like riding in the penalty box any more.

C) Lots of the suspension issues have been sorted out, and with a hatch and FWD, they are pratical for small families and for bad weather climates.

I don't see why the automakers feel they a NOT appealing. Golfs sell, Minis sell, etc etc.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOLF, Mini, Mazda 3s, they are still only a small portion of cars out there. Add in the tiny SUVs or CUVs (fits, Cube)or whatever you call them, then the numbers start to add up. They are becoming more popular but for some reason Subbie put the sedan above the hatch for development. Must be something going on there in that market and price range.

I hope the Civic Type R comes stateside. I'd even consider the 8spd Auto bc Girlfriend/future wife will probably be driving it and I want her to be able to track it with me without fearing crunch crunch boom!

So many hoops they have to jump through to get it here though.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of motortrend talk.
http://wot.motortrend.com/1402_honda...eva_debut.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wertrain_tech/
http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_honda...ic_type_r.html

Turbo TLX and or Accord? I hope they drop some weight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InAmd76z7IU
Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd take one

Quick Reply: Been Discussed? Civic Type R