Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Beat this burn out!

Old 06-03-2002, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is wow.. how do you even do that?? Do you just mash the brakes and the gas?! I heard magazines put bleach on the tires to get more white smoke for their photo shoots..
Old 06-04-2002, 04:49 AM
Banned

It has something to do with the brakes. There's a method somehow of using the brakes just slightly and the also stepping on the throttle.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:57 AM

That's a regular F150. I don't know about what's under the hood, but those tires don't appear to be 295s.

How to do a burnout in a Lightning?

Simple: just press down on the brakes and then give it some throttle. At about 1500rpms the rears brake loose and start rotating. Modulate brake and/or throttle to increase smoke and/or decrease forward progress. Stop when you hear a "pop". When I want to get someone's attention at a stop I give the rears a little chirp.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm going to sound stodgy saying this, but "why??" is the thing first and foremost on my mind.

Of course I understand the purpose of heating up your tires or wanting to impress someone with your car's power. Why, however, would you want to keep it up for so long?? Couldn't any car with enough power keep it up indefinitely (or until you hear the pop as Snoopy said)?

Also, if you have to use the brakes to hinder forward movement, doesn't that mean that your spinning the back tires with the brakes lightly clamped? Wouldn't that mean that not only are you torching your tires, but you're melting your pads and rotors as well?

Sorry, I'm just ultimately baffled!

-Dan
Old 06-04-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by stooxie
Hi everyone,

I'm going to sound stodgy saying this, but "why??" is the thing first and foremost on my mind.

Of course I understand the purpose of heating up your tires or wanting to impress someone with your car's power. Why, however, would you want to keep it up for so long?? Couldn't any car with enough power keep it up indefinitely (or until you hear the pop as Snoopy said)?

Also, if you have to use the brakes to hinder forward movement, doesn't that mean that your spinning the back tires with the brakes lightly clamped? Wouldn't that mean that not only are you torching your tires, but you're melting your pads and rotors as well?

Sorry, I'm just ultimately baffled!

-Dan
"WHY" is a very good question. I guess after the owner buys a few tires and brake parts, the answer might just come to him. Not only are the rear brakes clamped but they are clamped hard, just as hard as the front brakes but after the rears start to spin, the brakes simply lose grab due to the power being applied to those wheels that those brakes just let go. "Showing off" is not always cheap.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:46 PM

This should be easier on the brakes in a pickup than a car or SUV. They are heavily biased towards front braking to prevent the rears from locking when the bed is empty. Lots of F150s came with Wilderness ATs. That's the best use for them.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:11 PM

Stooxie - yep, standing burnouts are really hard on the brakes. People forget that, unlike most bikes, cars have their brakes linked. He probably destroyed his rear pads and warped his rotors. I don't do them in my truck; I only do a bit of a chirp to get a buddies' attention. Oh, and you're right about the and car thing - most cars can do this as well, once you break the rears loose. Somewhere I've seen a video of a cheap economy car doing this as well. I could even do them in a 66hp Festiva I had about a dozen years ago. P165/75R-12 Firestones only have so much grip.

Still, you've gotta laugh. It just goes ON AND ON AND ON ... Just GLAD it wasn't MY truck!!
Old 06-05-2002, 07:15 AM
Banned

Can't front-drive cars keep accelerating even when the parking brake is on? I do it every time in Gran Turismo 2 just to see smoke
Old 06-05-2002, 08:07 AM

Yep, that's how you do it. Once you get them spinning there's little wear on the clutch.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Banned

In auto cars, people sometimes do it by stepping on brake, then throttle, then releasing brake.

What about another method such as: putting the car in neutral, stepping on throttle, then putting car in drive???

Quick Reply: Beat this burn out!