Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bad rap for motorcyclists

Old 03-26-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad rap for motorcyclists

Just wanted to vent a little about my encounter with a fellow motorcyclist during my commute to work this morning. I was doing my usual lane splitting in the carpool lane when I caught up with this guy on a silver BMW R1100S doing the same. To be polite, I backed off a little and paced him to avoid any undue pressure. Typically when they notice me behind I'll get a wave to go by... Well, this guy didn't do so which was fine because his pace wasn't all that slow to begin with. (He didn't give out "courtesy" waves to cars that moved over either)

Anyways, after several miles of splitting a SUV 100-yards ahead of us decides to escape the bumper-to-bumper traffic by breaking the double yellow lines into the carpool lane. Luckily, this didn't pose a danger to us since she was far enough ahead. It did upset me though seeing this lady without any passangers pull such a dangerous manuever. Well, next thing I know... this BMW guy ahead of me passes the SUV and gives a hard swack with his hand at the passenger side mirror causing it to snap forward and back. Instictively, this lady swerves managing not to hit the divider wall. If she hit, I might have been toast trailing about 15-yards behind. Is this guy and idiot or what?!?

License plate# 16B2078

I'm definitely gonna have a chat with him if I see him around...

David
Old 03-29-2004, 04:00 AM

BMW rider - what more can I say!

Whoops sorry PFB, that doesn't include offroad BMs.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That guy's not long for this world. Someday one of those SUV's will make him a statistic. If that was down in OC you might check with Irv Seaver BMW to see if they 'know' him.

Splitting a moving carpool lane is over-aggressive for me to start with. I'd have to ride the double yellow to pass most folks and I figure someday the CHiP's would have something to tell me about that.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by savan2
Anyways, after several miles of splitting a SUV 100-yards ahead of us decides to escape the bumper-to-bumper traffic by breaking the double yellow lines into the carpool lane.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:53 AM

I dislike people who drive SUV's and I dislike carpool lane cheaters. I would congratulate the BMW rider if I had the chance.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
Wow!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Welshman
Old 03-30-2004, 01:36 PM

I suppose it depends on whether the SUV driver knew if the BMW rider was lane splitting or not. If she knew of the motorcyclist lane splitting and crossed the double yellow in a safe manner, then I suppose it was OK.

However, if the BMW was in potential danger because of the SUV driver not paying attention, then she definitely needed to be woken up. Regardless, she pulled an illegal maneuver and I'd say simply a bad driver.

Anyways, whenever I'm lane splitting it's never above 45 mph simply because people in cars don't pay attention. I also lane split when cars are moving about the same pace on both sides of me since they won't have much of a reason to switch lanes and generally isn't enough space to switch lanes anyways.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by savan2
Old 04-11-2004, 01:09 AM

Maybe I'm a little overly cautious so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. Never strike a vehicle when you're on your bike. You have no way of knowing the mental state of the person who just cut you off. They could be drunk, angry, or just plain nuts. It only takes one nut to brake check you or swerve into you. It's one thing to have it happen to you while in your car...but you definately don't want some giant escalade/expedition parked on you and your bike do you?

In short, be careful out there...it helps my insurance rates.

Quick Reply: Bad rap for motorcyclists