Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Back to back Test Drive + Analysis: 350z Vs S2000

Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to back Test Drive + Analysis: 350z Vs S2000

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to find an 02 S2000 & an 03 350z for sale on the same street (different dealerships). I test drove both, and here is my personal analysis.

2003 Nissan 350z Base, Red, 55k Miles

Power - Plenty of torque, was pretty fun on the straight aways. Seemed to have good power response in most gears. Overall, I think stock power would get boring after a while, and would need to be compensated for with modding.

Handling - The car doesn't handle as well as I'd hoped, it's heavy of course, and to me it felt heavy. It didn't feel like a boat, but definately could feel the weight difference between this and the S2000. Overall, aftermarket suspension is a must.

Clutch / Shifter - Didn't mind the clutch, but didn't particularly care for the shifter. Seemed rough and notchy, not what I am looking for out of a "nice" "sports car".

Interior Fit & Finish - Though the interior looks nice, it just feels very cheapy. The plastic pieces of dash and what not have an expensive look, but a cheap feel.

My final Answer: I like the 350z, it is a fun car, plenty of torque and great styling. I however, don't believe I could put up with the heavyness of it, it's lack of inexpensive modability, and the handling in stock form. I could see myself falling into the mod money pit with one of these.

2002 Honda S2000, Suzuka Blue, 63k Miles

Power - Doesn't feel quite as fast as the Z (due to the high-end), and obviously we all know this car (and all hondas) lack torque. This is the car's only downfall.

Handling - The car's lack of power is made up for by it's handling. Throwing this car through turns is a blast to do, and the car does it well. It has a very tight suspension and a tight feel. Turning radius is Superb, I pulled a quick U-turn and only needed 1/2 the road to do it.

Clutch / Shifter - Stock clutch & shifter feel great, the gearbox in this car has an amazing feel. I don't think you could really ask for more.

Interior Fit & Finish - I liked better than the Z. Though smaller on the inside, the S2000 feels more refined, more solid. It has more of a "cockpit" feel (which may be subjective, im sure some hate that feel).. But this car makes you feel like it was designed to fit you.

My final answer: Though slower in the straight line compared to the Z, and many other cars, I feel that the S2000's handling, solidness and phenominal gearbox makes this an amazingly fun car to drive.

Final Result: S2000 takes the cake for me.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:36 PM

can never have too many of s2k vs 350z comparisions... especially one as detailed as this one.

thanks!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

back in 2002 I pre-ordered a 350Z. long story short my dealership didn't communicate with me, they never would tell me any info any idea when I would get my car.

I was itching to buy a car been waiting 5 months for the Z so I test drove the Boxster S and the S2000 and got the S2000 shortly after.

2 weeks later the Nissan dealership calls and tells me my Z-car is there. I mean surely I could have been notified some time before the call that says my car is there. If I had known it was a 2 week wait I would have waited at least to test drive the Z.

I just had bought the S2000 so I didn't even go test drive my 350Z.

I still have never driven a 350Z either. Happy with my S2000 5+ years later.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I agree with most everything you've said, but still don't understand why people feel the 350z handles relatively poorly. I've only driven an 04 and most recently an 06, but both had limits well beyond what you could hope to use on the street. Obviously it's heavier than the s2000 and will not be as crisp or responsive, but I think people tend to over estimate the actual grip and cornering speed the s2000 can ahieve vs the 350z.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Isn't it true that later model Z's have slightly improved suspension set up? I think the fact the s2000 is significantly lighter and has quicker steering than the Z add to the sensation that it handles better, even though in all out cornering grip there may not be that big of a difference between the two cars (max later grip). Also the s2000 probably has a slightly better front/rear weight distribution so it feels like it rotates more naturally into the turns and in hard corners.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by s2kva,Feb 17 2008, 05:42 PM
Isn't it true that later model Z's have slightly improved suspension set up? I think the fact the s2000 is significantly lighter and has quicker steering than the Z add to the sensation that it handles better, even though in all out cornering grip there may not be that big of a difference between the two cars (max later grip). Also the s2000 probably has a slightly better front/rear weight distribution so it feels like it rotates more naturally into the turns and in hard corners.
You both make valid points. However, would you rather have a car that Feels like it handles better and Feels better going through the turns, or a car that performs exactly the same, but Feels like crap, and Feels much worse than the competition.

Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather take the car that Feels better in the corners. What's the point of "good handling" if you can't feel it?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question you pose can go one step further versus the C5 Z06. It handles better than the S2000 but doesn't feel like it. Which would you prefer, nimble feel or higher actual limits? To some of us the point of "good handling" is faster corner speed and lower lap times. Others would rather drive a lesser car closer to its limits.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The later model Zs have an improved engine. It revs to 7500 red line and puts out 306 hp (I think).

I have 2 as well as my S. The S is marginally faster in a straight line which surprised me. But the reason is the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the Zs revs isn't pulling nearly as much as the S's.

I am sure weight is the enemy.

When you park the 2 side by side the Z just overpowers the S. Another way to say it is that the S looks tiny by comparison. This is not something you'd notice just seeing a car driving by on the street. When you get an opportunity park right next to one in a parking lot. You'll be amazed at how much bigger the Z is.

The Z has a 10" longer wheelbase. Couple that with the weight and you can see why people think the Z doesn't handle well.

It's a great road cruiser, but autocrosser it ain't.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Feb 18 2008, 11:48 AM
The question you pose can go one step further versus the C5 Z06. It handles better than the S2000 but doesn't feel like it. Which would you prefer, nimble feel or higher actual limits? To some of us the point of "good handling" is faster corner speed and lower lap times. Others would rather drive a lesser car closer to its limits.
I understand what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense. But for me personally, I would want my car to give me that Feeling of handling greatness in addition to handling great. Perhaps if I got more time behind the wheel of the Z I would feel differently, but from what I was able to do in a 30 minute test drive, I did not feel as confident about the Z sticking in the turns than the S2000.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Feb 18 2008, 11:48 AM
Very good point, the wide track base + wide wheels + more performance tires = good grip.

Depends on what you go for, I would think parts on the S2000 in the long run, 5-10 years from now will be worth its weight in gold because there were not many made.

VQ35 engines all they need is a different intake manifold, and they will bolt up to a 350z tranny easy. This means plenty of VQ35's in the maxima/altima/g35 and the list goes on in camp nissan.

Oh and to make the same HP as the 350z it just needs the 350z ecu from what I hear.

Going back to the "limits" question. Depends on the buyer, if you can live with the vert, and have to realize you have to rev the crap out of it and BEWARE on ice/rain days than the S2k is the car for you.

The 350z would be better for space and long trips. Gas millage depends on how you drive either...

If we all wanted to feel "fast" we would all be driving Miatas for their lack of power and good but obtainable limits of handling performance in terms for cheapness/gas millage/availability.

Personally I wouldn't get a 350z unless it was the 07+

S2000 I would only get if it was under 15k, I don't think any car touches that experience less than 15k right now.