Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

AWD vs RWD vs FWD

Old 03-16-2005, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD vs RWD vs FWD

Hello,

I'm pretty sure it's been talked about before but I want to hear some fresh opinions on this.

Three platforms which drive so differently. I want to hear pluses and minuses on the each platform. Why would you prefer one over the other?

Thank you.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:34 AM

You mentioned, "Three platforms which drive so differently," so I assume you are talking about enthusiast driving and not just a concern about whether you get better traction on snow. That leaves out those AWD systems that are just there to improve a basic FWD platform, where often the drive is still nearly all at the front wheels, and is only transferred to the rear wheels when serious slippage begins to occur.

Myself, I'll take RWD, with less weight and friction and cost than AWD. I got tired of my understeering and pushing FWD cars years ago, but then I also don't live where there are icy streets.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 AM

Generally RWD is prefered for its control over the vehicle (oversteer). It also has the benifit of low drivetrain loss but not as low as FWD. Of the three, RWD is the most tricky and requires the most skill to drive fast.

FWD has the benifit of low drivetrain loss but suffers in the corners due to understeer.

AWD has the most traction, has the benifit of very high exit speeds, can be very neutral in corners (G35x, EVO, STi) but has the highest drivetrain loss. It's probably the easiest of the three to drive at the limit. Some of the new AWD systems that are coming out incoorporate the best of both AWD and RWD. For example the G35x is RWD until slip is detected. It's system will even let the rear wheels slid out in a turn before engaging the front wheels.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Ive owned them all and I have spent a lot of time on the track with all 3. I will probably always go "performance" AWD.. that being RWD biased. There are very few of these setups out there that are worth a damn. If that
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 AM

Here's a short Top Gear vid on the subject.
http://copper.takiweb.com/~tenshu/alex/Top..._WheelDrive.avi
Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 AM

I can tell you from experience that an STi is hard to keep up with at the track. As stated the AWD allows early application of power and can help if you get in a little over your head. That said, I'm enjoying RWD. It's all fun.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:01 AM

AWD at some points also gives you the opportunity to drive it more like a rwd car or a fwd your choice when going into the corners.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Just to complete the list, I think you should also include 4WD in there. 4WD is not the same as AWD, at least as far as I understand them.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned

I like AWD the most because it's the most suitable for driving in the cold and rainy climate here. As said, RWD is the sportiest platform but is the trickiest and requires more skills to be competent.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Mar 16 2005, 03:18 PM
Just to complete the list, I think you should also include 4WD in there. 4WD is not the same as AWD, at least as far as I understand them.
do they even make a full time 4 wheel drive any more? i am not sure what the difference is between full time 4 wheel drive and allwheel drive....

I always relate 4wd to a truck that you put into 4 wheel drive.... then if you try to turn sharp on a dry street the suspension binds and feels like you are going to break everything.

Quick Reply: AWD vs RWD vs FWD