Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Awd, luxury, fast, DD.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Got to ask you - does the performance of the AWD system matter much to you? After researching the Lexus IS it's a pretty basic system, where as for example the Acura system is class leading.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Got to ask you - does the performance of the AWD system matter much to you? After researching the Lexus IS it's a pretty basic system, where as for example the Acura system is class leading.

It does, obviously don't want to spend the money on an AWD car with a system that barely works better than FWD. I'm anxious to see how our RDX with full snows does this winter, it is our first winter with it! I may buy another RDX for myself in the spring, or wait it out and take my wife hand me down RDX and buy her an MDX.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
SH-AWD is class leading? I would say Audi's system or Subaru's systems better it in tests.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
SH-AWD is class leading? I would say Audi's system or Subaru's systems better it in tests.
What tests are your referring to?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1381074303' post='22813564
Which Subi system. Their systems range from FWD+viscous coupling (not really a bad system in the snow) to models with sophisticated computer diffs and the like. Neither Audi nor Subaru have 'one system'. Neither have a lock on good technology and certain both have systems that vary in effectiveness.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I`ve argued for SH-AWD a number of times as being the most technically advanced system, mainly due to the ability to overdrive wheels (rather than brake opposite wheels) to develop yaw movement. It allows for more effective power management AND it`s easier on your drivetrain as well (less wear and tear on brakes and gears, since you`re not reverse loading gears or constantly using your brakes).

That said, in real world STREET driving, I don`t think Acura`s system is any more (or less) effective in most real-world situations (heavy snow, ice, etc, etc). Audi`s latest improvements, especially in the S4 with optional sport diff, are excellent. Subaru`s top system is also fantastic (STi), as is the Mitsu system on the Evo.

We`ve all seen videos where SH-AWD will climb a slope with one side having ice and the other on pavement, but that`s an extreme case that isn`t generally encountered. Most of us are driving on roads (paved or unpaved) with moderate slopes. In those situations, I`d argue they`re all pretty much equal.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I`ve argued for SH-AWD a number of times as being the most technically advanced system, mainly due to the ability to overdrive wheels (rather than brake opposite wheels) to develop yaw movement. It allows for more effective power management AND it`s easier on your drivetrain as well (less wear and tear on brakes and gears, since you`re not reverse loading gears or constantly using your brakes).

That said, in real world STREET driving, I don`t think Acura`s system is any more (or less) effective in most real-world situations (heavy snow, ice, etc, etc). Audi`s latest improvements, especially in the S4 with optional sport diff, are excellent. Subaru`s top system is also fantastic (STi), as is the Mitsu system on the Evo.

We`ve all seen videos where SH-AWD will climb a slope with one side having ice and the other on pavement, but that`s an extreme case that isn`t generally encountered. Most of us are driving on roads (paved or unpaved) with moderate slopes. In those situations, I`d argue they`re all pretty much equal.
I agree, in snow and ice I believe AWD is AWD and most of them are going to get the job done. I love Acura's system because it is a proactive system, not reactive. Wet or dry or snow or ice that system is always preparing the car to handle and grip the road as best it can, I like that. I can feel it doing this in the rain when I am driving the RDX hard by myself. I could go on all day about how impressed I am with how the SH AWD makes the RDX handle so well for it's size and weight. I have experienced the same thing in all the MDX's I have test driven as well.

For the record, I have extensive history with various solid axle SUV's as well as Subaru's. Acura's impresses me the most for day to day driving in the winter, in the northeast. For rallying or offroading and such, that changes. Just putting that out there before somebody jumps all over my opinion.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1381074303' post='22813564
Which tests?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1381173864' post='22815574

I agree, in snow and ice I believe AWD is AWD and most of them are going to get the job done. I love Acura's system because it is a proactive system, not reactive. Wet or dry or snow or ice that system is always preparing the car to handle and grip the road as best it can, I like that. I can feel it doing this in the rain when I am driving the RDX hard by myself. I could go on all day about how impressed I am with how the SH AWD makes the RDX handle so well for it's size and weight. I have experienced the same thing in all the MDX's I have test driven as well.

For the record, I have extensive history with various solid axle SUV's as well as Subaru's. Acura's impresses me the most for day to day driving in the winter, in the northeast. For rallying or offroading and such, that changes. Just putting that out there before somebody jumps all over my opinion.
I've driven a few different AWD systems out there and the SH-AWD is of the best in low traction. In online tests I've seen it perform very well for the type of tranny it is.

Systems like found in the Subi platforms are rather basic by comparison. Audi and BMW are playing catch up.

They are by no means all the same. In my current subi if the front wheel looses traction it has a tough time powering any of the other 3 wheels. At best I have one front and one rear powering. If I line one side on ice and the other on traction, the ice side spins leaving you stuck. Put an SH-AWD on there and it powers the traction side. Real world huge differences.

I think the OP has a choice if they want to buy a real AWD car for bad conditions are just a decent system for putting big power down.