Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Awd, luxury, fast, DD.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

What about a CPO TL Tech? (With body colored painted beak of course.)
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your worried about reliability with evo/sti and your looking at an S4? Wow I guess there new standards these days.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by woodburn
Your worried about reliability with evo/sti and your looking at an S4? Wow I guess there new standards these days.

Not so much the reliability of the S4, but the boy racer image and immature look of the Wrx/evo steering me away from them. With that being said, from what I've read the Audi's will not leave you stranded, the drivetrain is stout... but there will be electrical gremlins. The S4 is showing to be decently reliable though, not many issues on their forums.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Well as per the other thread, I bought a 328i xdrive. I would suggest you consider a 335i xdrive with the available power kit.

They have greatly improved the AWD capability with xdrive and it is a quick car, under 4.5 to 60, turbo.

The pluses (over say the S4):

I like the looks of the Bimmer far more than the Audi, but the Audi looks more understated if you want to be more under the radar, but that car needs a serious styling refresh IMHO.
Tremendous powertrain and it gets ridiculously good mileage if you are just cruising. People get mid to high thirties when cruising on a long haul trip. Available with a manual or an excellent 8speed auto with paddles. Extremely fast transmission.
Interior is good, so is Audi, depends on your preference, I like the comfort of the seats in the Bimmer better.

Downside:
The Audi has more sporty feel. Bimmer has softened the suspension. Both have numb electric steering, the Bimmers will improve a lot if you ditch the runflats for regular tires, but both are numb. If you get the Bimmer, you lose the ability to get the sport setup so the Dynamic Handling package is a must. Audi's will be better either way, the Bimmer some new springs might be wanted.

For me, it came down to styling and gas mileage as to why I picked the Bimmer. The Audi still looks a lot like the one my dad bought in 96.

I have been meaning to post a thread and maybe will do today, but European delivery is just a must. Seriously. It is a hassle but a seriously fun hassle. Give me an hour to type a thread.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Audi S4 is as vanilla as you can get. The cabrio is fun, but other than that it's a big yawn.

How about a Saab 93 Turbo X, or Volvo? Both are distinctive looking and not everyone is driving them. How about a Range Rover Supercharged?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
I have been researching these cars lately and the TL SH-AWD would definitely be a safer (and more bland) choice for an AWD luxury DD . The beak has been toned down on the refreshed models and with a few cosmetic mods they don't look too offensive. I'm sure the 6MT is a joy to shift and they sound excellent with an exhaust. There are a few performance mods on the market but no tuning solutions as of yet and the car is a PITA to dyno due to the AWD system. Gas mileage isn't great at 17/25 and the thing weighs close to two tons.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Presto123
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1380046148' post='22794253
I have been researching these cars lately and the TL SH-AWD would definitely be a safer (and more bland) choice for an AWD luxury DD . The beak has been toned down on the refreshed models and with a few cosmetic mods they don't look too offensive. I'm sure the 6MT is a joy to shift and they sound excellent with an exhaust. There are a few performance mods on the market but no tuning solutions as of yet and the car is a PITA to dyno due to the AWD system. Gas mileage isn't great at 17/25 and the thing weighs close to two tons.

All this is coming down to money or want... I love the interior of the TL AWD... we have an RDX now and she will be upgrading to MDX shortly after our next house purchase in the spring.. so I will have a choice of dumping accord for paid off RDX OR trading RDX on something more fun.. although I like her RDX a lot.

TL is more bland choice, but it's a nice car, but then again I could go A4 and save some money over S4... but the damn audi boards are saying it's not even worth going to an A4. Sigh. TL would be accepted at work and be AWD and fit my bill, just was hoping to have something quicker. I would save a ton of money between an S4 and CPO TL too....
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into the soon to come Audi S3 sport back 4dr+hatch. Looks promising but won't offer much more power than a 14' golf r

The 2014 golf r is on my prospective buy list next year along with the new gen STi whenever it comes out. I wish the acura Tsx was a better looking car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

new Benz CLA
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-CLA/bodystyle-CPE?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign= Brd%257CSCH%257CCorp%257CCLA-Class_Exact&utm_term=cla%2520mercedes&utm_content= sQLHRKbTr_dc|pcrid|28894942495|pkw|cla%2520mercede s|pmt|e
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the CLA AMG (though billio was close, haha). AWD and 355 hp from a hand built engine. For me it would probably come down to that or the Audi S4. BMW doesn't make their AWD cars sporty for some reason and I'm just not a fan of the F30's styling at all. You could also look at the Cadillac ATS and/or CTS, they're both available with AWD as well.

Quick Reply: Awd, luxury, fast, DD.