Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are Audi and VW getting heavier and heavier?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Apr 3 2006, 09:48 AM
While every other car makers trying to reduce their cars weight for better handling and mileage, Audi and VW's car keep getting heavier and heavier.

What's up with that?
What are you talking about? Cars from all makes and models are getting heavier everytime a new one comes out. There are very few exceptions.

Sam
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=xviper,Apr 3 2006, 08:01 PM]Imagine yourself laying on your stomach, with your head held up as high as you can.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clayman,Apr 4 2006, 09:47 AM
...Sounds like I need to go buy an Audi! Aside from the graphic representation of the front fascia of new Audi/VW's, I don't mind the look. I rather like the bold, striking, deep-chin appearance of the new Audis. The one area where I do have an issue is the steady weight increases. You'd think that with all the modern materials car manufacturers can use, they would have found something that meets their requirements, while still keeping the car on a diet. It seems there's a direct correlation between HP and weight increases in new cars. Sure, the new S4 may have plenty more HP than its predecessor, but it's also a fatass. It probably wouldn't need the boost in power if it didn't gain all the weight.

I'll agree that many car companies have lost their way with certain models (i.e. VW GTi), and the cars are starting to suffer. I like the new GTi, but I almost don't think of it as a GTi like I used to remember. Weight sort of ruins all the fun in cars. They don't accelerate, handle, or brake as well. Of course, I'm but one man in a sea of many who probably DO prefer their heavy, luxurious cars.
All cars are getting heavier. A good example is the new Lexus IS.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Apr 3 2006, 08:54 PM
I've gotten used to the Audi grille and I really like it. You'll start seeing the Asian manufacturers start copying it any time now.
The emphasis is on......you "got used to" it.

Why the heck ones have to spend their hard earned money to get use to the look a car.

I don't get it.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Clayman,Apr 4 2006, 12:47 PM
..... Aside from the graphic representation of the front fascia of new Audi/VW's, I don't mind the look.....
..."I don't mind the look"....

I still don't get it.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:28 PM

I'd say the short answer is changes with safety and luxury in mind.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mr. Hoth, you made some very good points. Ones that I was too chicken to make myself for fear of offending people even more than I may have already.

My wife has a PT Cruiser. Right from the get go, we both thought it looked weird - a cartoon drawing of what might have been a real car, but the size and interior configuration was exactly what she needed so we got one anyway. Since then, we have both "gotten used to it and don't mind it" anymore. And I suppose, we've also learned to "like it". The car hasn't changed during the time we've owned it. We have. So I guess it's still "weird looking". And I'm sure that others who see it, think it's weird, too.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 3 2006, 05:01 PM
Well, no, I'm not even talking about the "bulbous" front end. I don't mind big front ends and many are done up nice. Take a look at this:

It just looks like it's got this gaping, gigantic hole in the front. It looks far, far worse when there is no European licence plate in the middle. If they had continued the painted body work right across the grill in a continuous curve, it would make it look like it's got an upper grill opening and a small lower grill opening. And I've seen the models that have that part sort of chromed and no, that doesn't help either. That just makes it look like they're trying to decorate that giant hole.
I've already described it in one way. Here's another .....................
Imagine yourself laying on your stomach, with your head held up as high as you can. You are laying between a naked woman's spread out legs. She's laying on her back looking up at the ceiling. You are a foot or so away from her crotch and you are looking from slightly above. That's what I see when I look at the front of an Audi or VW. It's a great sight in the privacy of your bedroom, but out on the street? It's kinda rude and embarassing.
So descriptive.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vAnt,Apr 5 2006, 01:00 AM
So descriptive.
I hope you are not offended. I didn't mean it to be. I was only trying to give my own interpretation of how I see these front ends. Sometimes it's dangerous to express personal tastes to groups of strangers.
I'm a VW fan from way back so I'm not hating on them in any way.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:35 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The biggest offender is no longer sold here. I think that's a good thing.

The Audi W12 A8 weighs ~4700 lbs which is bad enough, but the Phaeton W12 made without extensive use of aluminum weighs a staggering ~5400 lbs. That's more than some full size PU-trucks or full size SUVs.

For comparison the LS430 weighs ~4000 lbs

Quick Reply: Are Audi and VW getting heavier and heavier?