Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Audi R8 - rode in it!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi R8 - rode in it!

It's awesome!

My boss wasn't going to get one until March or something, but the one it was ordered for cancelled the order and went with a Lambo instead, so my boss got bumped up the list and received it last week! We went to Sacramento to pick it up. I rode with him back from Sacramento to Berkeley, where on the way we went to triple digits mph (undisclosed b/c i don't want to get anyone into trouble).

While in sacramento, we drove around the city a little bit, and it's just crazy how many looks you get in the car - most of which come from people staring at the car probably thinking "WTF is that?"

It's definitely got pull - the AWD system grips you to the asphalt like crazy.

The Audi guys at Niello were awesome. They were really friendly to me, even though I was the hugest noob there. But they might've been friendly just because I was with someone who was buying the R8.

Either way, I just wanted to share my experience a bit, as it's the most expensive car I've ever sat in, and I'll probably get to drive it sometime soon, so I'll post a reply about it in this thread! Beautiful beautiful car!!!

Link to my boss's small blog about it. The noob in the third pic is my co worker who went with us.
http://vdream.com/blog/blog_comments/17
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Tell your boss you want a raise, he makes to much money
Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Jan 3 2008, 05:51 PM
I agree! That car looks great. I woulndnt want to drive it. Just stare at it.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Jan 3 2008, 05:51 PM
Haha, very true. However, he did buy me and my coworker a 92 EG6 hatch for track day purposes, and is going to pay the insurance through the company, and is going to pay for the upgrades to it, so that's pretty cool in itself. It's no R8, but it'll still be fun.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The most startling realization: This is totally a car Erin (my fiance) can drive. I took her to the Sparkart parking lot for a brief introduction to the car this past Sunday. After showing her how to adjust the mirrors and how to get the R-tronic system in automatic mode, she took off for a drive around the block. She absolutely loved it and now wants to know when I am traveling next so she can drive it to work.
how about that next thing you know women will want to drive race cars for Pete's sake.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

[QUOTE=rouin,Jan 3 2008, 05:57 PM] Haha, very true. However, he did buy me and my coworker a 92 EG6 hatch for track day purposes, and is going to pay the insurance through the company, and is going to pay for the upgrades to it, so that's pretty cool in itself. It's no R8, but it'll still be fun.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by rouin,Jan 3 2008, 05:57 PM
Haha, very true. However, he did buy me and my coworker a 92 EG6 hatch for track day purposes, and is going to pay the insurance through the company, and is going to pay for the upgrades to it, so that's pretty cool in itself. It's no R8, but it'll still be fun.
Ok, can you have your boss contact my boss, Im trying to get a company car right now and need something like that to, I'll probalby end up with a Prius
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jan 3 2008, 06:12 PM
what do you do and how do I get in on that?!
Btw, that car is stunningly beautiful. Amazing how that car stopped the presses at car shows all around the world even with the likes of Ferrari and Lambo a stones throw away.
Yeah, it's really amazing. I honestly think it's the same reason that the GTR is so popular around the world - the fact that it's so new. A new look, a new feel, etc. Because seriously, you put an R8 next to an F430, and more people will gawk at the Audi, even though the Ferrari is faster and more expensive.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! That would be a sweet upgrade from my CS.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is ugly in a light color. Give me black 10/10 times. Dark gray is nice, too.

But such a nice car. Beautiful and very distinctive. Lucky!

Quick Reply: Audi R8 - rode in it!