Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Aston Martin Vantage vs. Porsche 911

Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Sep 21 2010, 07:19 AM
Btw, this is what a GT3 RS sounds. Its a flat 6!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irbjk...eature=related
Flat in more ways than one! Sorry, it still sounds like poo.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM

I'm not too much of a fan of AM's(outside of the Vanquish and DBS)

The V8 Vantage is just a looker, the V12 is another story.

I would have a tougher choice deciding between the CLK63 Black Series and a Carrera S over a V8 Vantage.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow,Sep 19 2010, 07:07 AM
he must be, b/c that sounds HORRIBLE
Weird. I went to a lot of meets from 6speedonline, got nothing but compliments on the exhaust. Maybe the vid screws it up. I'd also be at a light and random people would roll down their window and give props on the exhaust sound.

Oh well, I ain't even mad.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKf0W...eature=related

This one is modified. Does it really sound that bad? Wow - I didn't realize all you guys owned F1 cars!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

911s have a more raw, mechanical sort of sound. Especially the older air-cooled ones, and particularly on overrun. It's not the sonorous Ferrari "song," which is excellent but that's a more processed sort of sound. (Not nearly as processed as the Nissan/Inifniti exhausts, though!)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSPTUc3aTNs [/media]
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Sep 16 2010, 05:04 PM
Boo hoo another Vette owner offended!
I have driven both the 911 and Vette and read the AM does not live up to how gorgeous it is to look at! One day when you grow up you will realize I am right! Matter of fact I drove the Vette and thought WOW its the worlds fastest Cavalier . Fast but still cheap. The 911 on the other hand is in a whole other world where it is not just a car or just a drive but an Experience that blends the feel of the steering,brakes,handling,suspension,and sound of the flat 6 into a blend that is very close to perfection . An owner review that pretty much sums it up is that the 911 is "automotive cocaine" .
i don't own a vette. i have no car right now after totaling my evo at Infineon raceway earlier this year. Comparing cars you don't own to hookers is not useful...to anyone and makes you sound like a 12 yr old internet fanboi.

You write crap.

I actually like porsches more then vettes. I get the value of the vette, but for whatever reason it's never really moved me. My opinion of the vette or porsche is irrelevant to the fact your 'input' is useless. That's just a fact.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by st4rk,Sep 21 2010, 08:40 AM
Weird. I went to a lot of meets from 6speedonline, got nothing but compliments on the exhaust. Maybe the vid screws it up. I'd also be at a light and random people would roll down their window and give props on the exhaust sound.

Oh well, I ain't even mad.

A lot of people think the 350z's nasal uninspired "wheezing buffalo" exhaust note is an aural symphony as well. Maybe sometimes people confuse distinct with quality?

PS- IB4T "you just hatin' cause you can't afford it."
Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM

I think people are attracted to the VQ exhaust note because it's one of the more mainstream cars with a loud out-of-the-box exhaust note. And by people I mean non-car enthusiASTs. Any person with a tuned ear knows that shit's fake.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 AM

I think that it's not really a fair comparison although they are similarly priced because the Aston is more like a supercar while the 911 isn't.

That's not to say the 911 isn't great in its own right, it's probably faster and more technical than a V8 Vantage, but it is more like a normal car in the sense that you won't be paying ridiculous premiums for maintenance.

I don't own one, although I really really wish I did, but that's based off what I've heard. It also makes sense though because the 911 is just a Porsche and is pretty common while the Aston is.. an Aston..

That being said, the 911 is obviously much better on a track AND easier to live with everyday because it's pretty common so you won't have to spend 20 minutes explaining your car to people at the gas station whenever you stop for fuel.

But, if I could have either I'd take the Aston. Sure, it's technically not as good, but to me, owning a car is an emotive choice and I really don't care if the Aston is worse, it's good enough and it would make me feel completely awesome while the 911 wouldn't, or at least not nearly as much.

I know I'm stereotyping, but the 911 is German so it's logically brilliant, but the Aston has all those other things that make a car great, like a wonderful sound, a beautiful exterior, and a very sexy interior.

I suppose you could say it was like my decision between the GTI and the S2000. Sure, it made more sense to get the GTI since it's a lot more practical and still plenty fun. I have to drive 120 miles and back every week, often through traffic along with my normal daily commute, so the GTI is a hell of a lot more comfortable too. But, I still plan to buy the S2000, and definitely not because it's faster since I have no experience in racing at all so it won't matter. My brain was telling me that I should get the GTI, but my heart still would yearn for the S2000. And that's exactly why I'd take the V8 Vantage over the 911.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but then I'm biased and English
(especially after 1800 miles round Scotland last week )