Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Article: Teens crash, people died, but WHOA...

Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esracer,May 9 2005, 03:24 PM
were the parents driving the cars?

No they were not, a kid can buy a knife off of ebay, and go and murder a kid at school, is it the parents fault that the kid bought the knife without them knowing? Is it the Ebay seller's fault? All it ever seems is it's always some one elses fault, then kids drove the car, the kids were irresponsible, it was their CHOICE to speed it doesn't matter what age you are, you are ultimately in control of your life and you have to decide on your choices, it seems there is always someone to BLAME as I said before......

ALL PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN LET ME SAY IT AGAIN OWN ACTIONS
People do indeed need to take responsibility... for their own actions and their children. My parents took steps and taught me long before I was 16 or 17, so that I didn't pull this kind of schit when I finally turned 16.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i dont see how some ppl can say its the parents fault. i have a fast car (sort of) and i am responsible. just because they were 17 and LEGALLY under the parents rule doesnt mean its the parents fault. if the parents wanted to get them the car its ok. its like getting a playstation when youre 12. but the parents werent the ones with the kids when they took their driving tests and got their licenses. those kids know the laws of traffic and speed. they know better than their parents the amount of speed in those cars. what if this happened the night before they turned 18? do teens ALL OF A SUDDEN get responsible when theyre 18? NO. if theyre not responsible at 17. they wont be at 18. kids these days dont learn. they see everyone on this board and others posting shit about going 140 down an interstate weeving between cars, and you blame them, just because their parents bought them a car and because theyre 17??? anyone who posts any form of street encounter is as responsible as they are. so if you get caught, are you going to say its your parents fault they didnt prepare you enough for the real world?? its not the parent's fault. at 18 years old they have to go to college and mommy and daddy wont tell them to stop drinking at a frat, or to make sure their papers are done on time rather than skipping classes. if a kid fails out of school, is it the parents fault? the parents may be REGRETTING they bought them the cars. but no one has the right to blame them but themselves. this is the kids fault. if it happened on his 17th birthday, the day they got their licenses, or on the night of their 18th. it doesnt matter. a lack of responsibility on the childs part is to blame. i think at the age of 2 it is a completely different story and you cannot compare the two because a 2 year old doesnt have any knowledge or responsibilty other than to learn how to walk straight and shit. a 17 year old not only is preparing for college, but entering the adult world. if youre not ready, youre going to pay.

you can HATE the parents, but the kids committed the crime. all the parents did was put payments on a car. adults see cars as incentive for working or a reward for a good job done. kids see an opportunity to start racing around. they obviously werent ready for anything this world had in store for em. this is just the type of wake up call they needed, unfortunately they wont come back.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Banned

What happens when there is a $65k sports car sitting in the garage and the parents are out?

That's right, its driven by a kid who wants to show it off to his friends.

Like this car :

"P-PLATE death driver Emile Dousset had already been in an accident in his own Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 before the smash that claimed his life and his two friends.

Mourners visiting the crash site yesterday said no one had been seriously injured in the earlier crash.

"I didn't know him well but I know for a fact he had already crashed his own R33 about six months ago," Stephen Deas said.

"It is just really sad, especially knowing that he had been in an accident before in such a similar car."

Emile's father Graeme has already revealed his son did not have permission to drive his father's higher-grade model Nissan Skyline GT-R R34.

That car was named best GTR in NSW at a Nissan Skyline show on the Central Coast earlier this year.

Second placegetter, GTR-R R33 owner Trent Stibbard, said the cars themselves were safe, and had the suspension and top-class brakes to support their big engine.

"It's more dangerous to drive around in those hotted-up, four-cylinder Mitsubishi Mirages that don't have the equipment to deal with such power," Mr Stibbard said.

Meanwhile, the mother of an 18-year-old P-plate driver said she wasn't able to send her son to a driving course because they were not provided at Beechwood, near Port Macquarie.

The woman said her son Daniel had driven his $26,000 Nissan 180 SX for little over a week before was in an accident. While he was unharmed, Mrs Shipley believes he will end up like Mr Dousset unless he receives some training.

"They have the cars but they don't have the experience and I'm just scared that Daniel's small crash could be followed by a much bigger one," said Mrs Shipley, who has written to Mr Scully with her concerns. "

Note : P Plate holders are drivers who are legally licenced to drive a car but with restrictions (power). 18 year olds can get the P Plates but will have to keep them on the car for 3 years.

Still doesn't stop a kid hungry for power and fame even after crashing his own GTR (R33).
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by shrike,May 9 2005, 04:49 PM
To some extent, yes. Until the children are old enough to function as adults, it is the parents responsibility to exercise reasonable care in their supervision. Depending on the kids' age, their parents should know what they're doing, on the internet and in person.

Note: I'm talking about morality, not law.
It is impossible for any parent to know exactly what all their kid does, i'm sure you hid several things from your parents, as well as everyone else. Just like these parents probably didn't know that their kids were going 100+ behind their backs and there is no real way to find out easily.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:46 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I haven't read this whole thread, but I did know where the black box was in my C5 and in the event of a questionable accident, I would have had the box removed immediately. I have no problem taking a punishment like a man for wrongs that I committed, but I'm not going to have my own car sell me out.

The black box is for GM engineers to learn more during accidents, so they can build safer cars, etc. A lot of manufacturers use these.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,May 10 2005, 09:46 AM
I haven't read this whole thread, but I did know where the black box was in my C5 and in the event of a questionable accident, I would have had the box removed immediately. I have no problem taking a punishment like a man for wrongs that I committed, but I'm not going to have my own car sell me out.

The black box is for GM engineers to learn more during accidents, so they can build safer cars, etc. A lot of manufacturers use these.
Can you PM me and tell me where that box is? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 AM

I
Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrGTR,May 10 2005, 07:37 AM

Still doesn't stop a kid hungry for power and fame even after crashing his own GTR (R33).
Did the kid hot wire the car?

Knowing that their kid had already crash another car and were hungry for more, I would have locked up the keys.

They knew he was going to drive that car when he got his hands on the keys.

In retrospect, it wasn't that much of an inconvenience to lock up the keys, was it?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

The kid would have found the emergency keys as the wife probably doesn't drive such a high powered car.

Seriously if a kid wanted it bad enough he will find ways.

Can people really trust their kids and forgive them even for an honest mistake?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrGTR,May 11 2005, 04:21 AM

Can people really trust their kids and forgive them even for an honest mistake?
They can forgive him in this case. But it will not bring him and his friends back.

There are things that you can trust and forgive, and there are "THINGS" (such as driving a high power car which can take multiple lives if you are not experienced enough) that parents should never let their guards down. Unless you are ok with the fact that your kids may find ways to get that set of emergency keys and see your kid's name mentioned on the local six o'clock news. In this case, I think it is ok to let things to chance then.

If I am a parent with a teenage son wanting to drive my S2000. There will be "NO" emergency keys in the house period. If there is an emergency, he can call 911 or take a cab. I will gladly pay the cab fare. What I won't do is to leave things to chance and hope and pray my son exercises sound judgement at his age.

I was that age not too long ago(I hope). Let me tell you, sound judgement was not one of my strong suits.

Quick Reply: Article: Teens crash, people died, but WHOA...