Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

AP2 to Audi TT Mk.2 3.2 Convertible...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I love the S2000 I think the new TT looks

Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Looks better than the first one, but it's still just an overweight fwd econo-sedan underneath. I'm not much into cars with fwd architecture (motor entirely in front of the front wheels), whether fwd or awd.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 AM

Seat warmer damn it, seat warmer!!!!! My friend has an 03 TT and the only thing he and I agreed his car is better than mine are the seat warmer.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:02 AM

Everyone seems to continue to compare the 1st gen TT to the S2000. To be fair, the 2nd gen is much improved in terms of driving dynamics, although still short of the s2000.

Anyway, if I had 45k, I'd go for a used Boxster S before I bought a 3.2TT. If you like the style, perhaps consider waiting for the TT-S? Although it will be aroudn 50k, that car with a chip should be over 300 hp, fast and fun and stylish, although not as precise or driver oriented as the S2000. If its outside your price range, perhaps you could make your own TT-S by buying a TT 2.0T with all wheel drive (new for 2009), instead of the 3.2, and chipping it and adding exhaust, coilovers, and sways?

Best of luck
Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Jun 17 2008, 01:18 AM
Looks better than the first one, but it's still just an overweight fwd econo-sedan underneath. I'm not much into cars with fwd architecture (motor entirely in front of the front wheels), whether fwd or awd.
Once again ZDan proves himself to be a blithering idiot...2nd gen TT uses ASF architecture vs. the Mk5 Golf's conventional steel underpinnings.

2nd gen TT is a VAST improvement over the first gen TT. I've driven the 1st gen extensively, and my family still owns it - it is in short, a FANTASTIC vehicle in 3.2 guise. Sure its heavy, and the steerings a bit quirky, but it is a very characterful car that will crack a smile on your face. And has one of the BEST exhaust notes I've heard under 50k.

I then went and drove the 2nd gen TT when we were considering upgrading, and it is a GREAT vehicle. Handling is vastly improved as is structural rigidity. Not to mention its lighter.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Audi 3.2TT Cabrio if what your looking for is a comfortable, everyday useable sports car that will give you a laugh. Its nowhere near as 'focused' as the S2000 is, and won't thrill as much, but then again, it works much better as a daily driven propostion. And it can TRULY be driven YEAR ROUND - it is AWD afterall.

Most of the peeps who lambast the TT here have never set foot inside one, much less driven one. I've driven (extensively) or owned all the vehicles mentioned in this thread - S2000, Mk1TT, Mk2 TT, 987 Boxster and can HONESTLY say that I would probably take a 3.2TT over a 987 Boxster

Heck, a Road and Track comparo showed the 2nd gen 3.2TT to be FASTER than a Cayman around a track in Germany. Shows you just how far the TT has come. Econobox roots my ass.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Jun 17 2008, 06:05 AM
Once again ZDan proves himself to be a blithering idiot...2nd gen TT uses ASF architecture vs. the Mk5 Golf's conventional steel underpinnings.

2nd gen TT is a VAST improvement over the first gen TT. I've driven the 1st gen extensively, and my family still owns it - it is in short, a FANTASTIC vehicle in 3.2 guise. Sure its heavy, and the steerings a bit quirky, but it is a very characterful car that will crack a smile on your face. And has one of the BEST exhaust notes I've heard under 50k.

I then went and drove the 2nd gen TT when we were considering upgrading, and it is a GREAT vehicle. Handling is vastly improved as is structural rigidity. Not to mention its lighter.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Audi 3.2TT Cabrio if what your looking for is a comfortable, everyday useable sports car that will give you a laugh. Its nowhere near as 'focused' as the S2000 is, and won't thrill as much, but then again, it works much better as a daily driven propostion. And it can TRULY be driven YEAR ROUND - it is AWD afterall.

Most of the peeps who lambast the TT here have never set foot inside one, much less driven one. I've driven (extensively) or owned all the vehicles mentioned in this thread - S2000, Mk1TT, Mk2 TT, 987 Boxster and can HONESTLY say that I would probably take a 3.2TT over a 987 Boxster

Heck, a Road and Track comparo showed the 2nd gen 3.2TT to be FASTER than a Cayman around a track in Germany. Shows you just how far the TT has come. Econobox roots my ass.
Thanks for that Vishnus... I think I will be buying the car more for the quality rather than how much it can offer in terms of performance. I know I will probably miss the S2k at times, but the looks of this car is what I like about it most.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyaze,Jun 17 2008, 03:26 AM
Seat warmer damn it, seat warmer!!!!! My friend has an 03 TT and the only thing he and I agreed his car is better than mine are the seat warmer.
For $100 you can put a seat warmer in your S2000.

One of the nicest daily drive mods.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 AM

I think that is the single best upgrade or add-on you can get for the S2K. Now, can you show me? Thanks!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 AM

I am a big VAG fan. So long as you make the decision eyes wide open, I see no problem in moving to an Audi. The fit and finish and interior design are light years better than in the S, even better than the competing offerings from BMW and Porsche in my opinion. I would really consider the 2.0 litre turbo, however, instead of the 3.2. The 2.0 is a bit more nimble, more fuel efficient and just as good looking. The 3.2, especially with Quattro, makes the TT a bit more inert and only marginally quicker in a straight line. Day to day driving will likely reveal little real world difference between the 2.0 and 3.2 litre lumps.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM

New TT looks the business, would love to be in one, but don't think I can go thru w/ another car of VW/Audi "quality". It is purely because of my 2001 Golf GTI (1.8T) that I started learning how to fix cars....

I guess it's at least made me less scared to crawl under the hood.

Maybe in 3-4 yrs when I can afford to import one.

Quick Reply: AP2 to Audi TT Mk.2 3.2 Convertible...