Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone want an Elise but buy an S2000 instead?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see why so many people are crazy about the Elise.
I drove one for about 10 miles and I just did not think much of it.
I think for the money the Elise should be much faster, and I know people are going to say that its better on the track and it should be for the price.
To each his own, i guess thats why they have so many car
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ralleh,Oct 27 2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah but how many gals are gonna say, "that's a cute car" when referring to an elise vs an s2k?
In my experience: all of them. Non-enthusiasts, male and female, just see the S2000 as a slightly larger Miata -- nothing interesting. Conversely, they all recognize the Elise as something out of the ordinary.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 PM

To the OP,

I don’t remember if you have test driven an Elise yet or not amazingjason. But if you have not, you really need to. After a long test drive you will either fall in or out of love with the Lotus. I went from an MR-2 to an Elise, but have driven an S2000 (and a miata), and like the Honda quite a bit.

The Honda is defiantly more “bang for the buck”. The S2000 has a nicer interior, is very close in acceleration and engine feel, and is not quite as fragile as the Elise is. I love my Elise, but I defiantly like and respect the Honda. The S2000 is a great driver’s car, and is considerably cheaper. The Elise does have better road feel, and will turn in a little faster because of the different weight distribution. But to love the Elise you have to be ok with its short comings. I use mine as a DD until winter sets in, and have taken several cross country road trips in it. I love the little Lotus, but acknowledge that it is not for everyone. The S2000 does not ask its driver to make the compromises that an Elise does.

Iirc you said that you have a Miata currently. Don’t assume that an Elise is just a faster Miata. I assumed that it was just a lighter, faster MR-2 until I got some seat time in one. It is a different beast, as the joke on LotusTalk goes, an Elise is the most practical motorcycle that you will ever own. I hate to talk you out of one, as I love mine, but I understand why some people would rather own an S2000, or even a Miata or MR-2. You have got to test drive an Elise before you decide whether you want one or not.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by orlandos2k,Oct 27 2009, 12:47 PM
I dont see why so many people are crazy about the Elise.
I drove one for about 10 miles and I just did not think much of it.
I think for the money the Elise should be much faster, and I know people are going to say that its better on the track and it should be for the price.
To each his own, i guess thats why they have so many car
I think you hit the nail on the head orlandos2k.

The Elise does not acclerate appreciably faster than an s2000. If you think that for the money the Lotus should accelerate noticably harder than cheaper cars you are gong to be disapointed.

The reason to buy the Elise is for the road feel and handeling. If you do not see the extra value in the road feel of the Lotus, then in the long run an s2000, or even turbo'ed Miata will be a better choice.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=Tormac,Oct 27 2009, 02:59 PM]The Elise does not acclerate appreciably faster than an s2000.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tormac,Oct 27 2009, 01:59 PM
The Elise does not acclerate appreciably faster than an s2000.
Yes it does
Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Coming from a turbo Elise, I dont regret the swap AT ALL. Now, thats not saying I dont miss the Lotus from time to time, but I daily drove it, and it beat the shit out of me. 30mile commute is WAY too far to daily an Elise, I just didnt know it from the test drives.

If you can afford an Elise + another good daily car, I would recommend it. Its an amazing sports car, the best handling car under 100grand by far. However, if you are like most people(Myself included) you would be better off with an S2000.

I would definitely buy an Elise again in the future, I may even get one in 2 years when I pay off this S, it depends on the Evora used prices at that point
Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Oct 27 2009, 07:43 PM
I think it's been a while since you drove an S2000. Every time I get out of the Lotus I autocross and into the S2000 I drive to work, the Honda feels like a dog in comparison.
Hi Pedalfaster, just for clarification, if you are saying that your S2000 is not as exciting to drive as your Elise, I agree 100%. If you're saying that in an autocross course or a road course your Elise is fairly faster than an S2000, I agree. It is the road feel that makes the Elise so fun to drive.

But just straight forward acceleration I consider them close, stock for stock. The Elise may have a sight traction advantage being mid engine and having stickier tires but they are close. Both cars require being in the lift and keeping in the lift to have acceptable times. The Elise will have a slight advantage in acceleration, but not a huge one. If an S2000 catches an Elise in the wrong gear, or if the Elise driver is not willing to drive as hard as the S2000 driver, the S2000 can keep up with or out accelerate an Elise. And the advantage that the Elise has tends to diminish as speeds increase. They are close enough in acceleration that an S2000 has a chance.

I understand why orlandos2k said what he said, he was expecting the Elise to shove him in his seat like a car with high torque and horse power will. That’s what he wants from a car of the Elise’s price, acceleration like a corvette or mustang gt500. The Elise just does not have the power to do this. It is not a dig on the Elise, the little Lotus offers what may be the best road feel in any car. It’s a great car and I love mine to death.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Tormac,Oct 28 2009, 03:27 PM]if you are saying that your S2000 is not as exciting to drive as your Elise, I agree 100%.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tormac,Oct 27 2009, 01:50 PM
To the OP,

I don’t remember if you have test driven an Elise yet or not amazingjason. But if you have not, you really need to. After a long test drive you will either fall in or out of love with the Lotus. I went from an MR-2 to an Elise, but have driven an S2000 (and a miata), and like the Honda quite a bit.

The Honda is defiantly more “bang for the buck”. The S2000 has a nicer interior, is very close in acceleration and engine feel, and is not quite as fragile as the Elise is. I love my Elise, but I defiantly like and respect the Honda. The S2000 is a great driver’s car, and is considerably cheaper. The Elise does have better road feel, and will turn in a little faster because of the different weight distribution. But to love the Elise you have to be ok with its short comings. I use mine as a DD until winter sets in, and have taken several cross country road trips in it. I love the little Lotus, but acknowledge that it is not for everyone. The S2000 does not ask its driver to make the compromises that an Elise does.

Iirc you said that you have a Miata currently. Don’t assume that an Elise is just a faster Miata. I assumed that it was just a lighter, faster MR-2 until I got some seat time in one. It is a different beast, as the joke on LotusTalk goes, an Elise is the most practical motorcycle that you will ever own. I hate to talk you out of one, as I love mine, but I understand why some people would rather own an S2000, or even a Miata or MR-2. You have got to test drive an Elise before you decide whether you want one or not.
I attended the 2004 West Coast Lotus Meet at Lake Tahoe and had a chance to briefly drive a pre-production Federal Elise and got to ride in it about a third of the way around the lake. It seemed way more refined than the 1995 Miata I had at the time as far as noise, ride, chassis rigidity. When I got back in my Miata, it felt hopelessly old, slow, and outclassed. It is the car that I want, but with four kids, no local Lotus dealer, and financial realities, Elise ownership doesn't seem to be getting much more practical as time goes on. I really should just enjoy my Miata, since I really do enjoy it.

Jason

Quick Reply: Anyone want an Elise but buy an S2000 instead?