Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone want an Elise but buy an S2000 instead?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why you got that impression. I have a wife, four kids, and teach elementary school. The exotic looks and attention are not why I like the Elise. It is what I think a sports car should be: light, simple, focused. We have a Honda Odyssey that I like, a Cadillac Escalade ESV that my wife likes, and a 1991 Miata with 50,000 miles that I like but think about replacing. I would like to be able to drive the sports car to work (about 5 miles), at least when the weather is nice.

But enough about me. Were most of you unaware of the Elise when you got your S2000s?

Jason
Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you use the Miata for?

Is it just solely a weekend car? Then and Elise sounds like a good choice for you. You have plenty of other vehicles to choose from. I think the Elise makes a horrible DD or semi-DD. It's not going to be as versatile as the Miata, though. It's a nice toy but that's about all it is.

A 5 mile commute sounds alright. Not long enough that the bothers of an Elise will get to you. However, it seems not long enough of a commute to enjoy the Elise.

Essentially, I think I might go with the Elise if I had your stable of cars. I'd get rid of the Miata and DD the Odyssey. Then keep the Elise for the weekends.

Many of the posters here might not have been aware of the Elise when they got their S2000s. Despite this, many have since attempted to replace the S with the Elise. However, because the Elise is nowhere near as comfortable as the S, many have kept the S. The Elise is a toy. I think if you go look at one and drive in it, then do the same with the S, you'll see what I mean. Good luck and if you get one, post pictures.

edit: Oh, and FYI, I don't know what your work parking situation is like, but I'd be careful. ksdaoski's point 2 is a huge thing people overlook.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:54 AM

i've always wanted an elise, when i test drove one i was very impressed with the performance aspect, but the cramped quarters didn't fit my frame very well (i was chubby at the time) the s2k was my next option, it was a hell of a lot cheaper, had decent performance, and a little more space

besides that it's a honda, so the insurance rates were ALOT less than the elise
Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amazingjason,Oct 25 2009, 07:31 AM
I don't know why you got that impression. I have a wife, four kids, and teach elementary school. The exotic looks and attention are not why I like the Elise. It is what I think a sports car should be: light, simple, focused. We have a Honda Odyssey that I like, a Cadillac Escalade ESV that my wife likes, and a 1991 Miata with 50,000 miles that I like but think about replacing. I would like to be able to drive the sports car to work (about 5 miles), at least when the weather is nice.

But enough about me. Were most of you unaware of the Elise when you got your S2000s?

Jason
Because normally Elise + no track / AX experience = attention whore / poser.

There are exceptions, of course.

Buy whatever gets your juices flowing. Car buying isn't really about rational choices. The convenience of the S2000 won me over.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:26 AM

I've been interested in purchasing an Elise for quite some time now, but if I were to get an Elise, I'd have to trade-in the S2K; however, I wouldn't want to have an Elise as my only car, not because I dislike the raw feel of it-- hell, I don't need anything fancy in a car, other than 3-pedals, a stick, seats and something to ensure I know how fast I'm driving--, but rather that I'd eventually grow tired of having to keep an eye on the car while at work, or being too worried about it in my school's parking lot.
I traded-in my '07 AP2 for an '08 CR earlier this month. I had quite a few other options I could've gone with, but I went with the CR because the S2000, though slow in straight line performance, provides one of the best sports car driving experiences south of an exotic car. It's not a fast car but it isn't slow either.
I considered the Elise a few days before actually pulling the trigger on the CR. The main reason-- other than the fact that too much attention is never good-- why I didn't go with the Elise was because I didn't want to have to finance on a used car, such as the Elise. I didn't/still don't have $25-30k lying around to spend on an Elise, and I didn't/still don't want to have to get a loan on a car like that.
Also, for those of you wondering why I'm so worried about attention when I drive a smurf blue CR, I guess you have to know where I live. There are plenty of S2000s driven around here, so only ricers/Honda fanbois really go nuts over my CR. People stare and I have seen several folks taking pictures of it, but I'm sure the Elise would draw more attention than any car with a H badge on it.
Just my .02 cents.

Sorry for the long post.

P.S: If my money is right, I actually plan on buying an Elise as a 2nd car some time in the future. Hopefully, the Exige S240's prices will drop significantly by then.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got an s2000 instead of an elise because maintenance and repair is much cheaper. i need my car to last 15 years.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM

It's hardly worth the effort of getting in and out of an Elise, much less removing and replacing the top, for a 5 mile commute. A real convertible is much better for that kind of duty IMO.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Oct 25 2009, 07:52 AM
I think the Elise makes a horrible DD or semi-DD.
As an owner, I disagree with you. I love driving my Elise to work and find it to be a perfectly fine (and fun) commuter vehicle. Mine does not have the Track Pack, and does have the Touring Pack, so it isn't as harsh as some. Whenever I drive my beater to work, I wish I wasn't. My wife won't ride in the Elise, so that's something to consider. About 45% (last time I checked the poll) of Elise owners on Lotus Talk daily drive their Elise. Some have trouble getting in and out, but I am a pretty skinny fellow. I leave my top off, always. No Elise has ever been stolen in the United States, and they have motion detectors on the interior. All in all, I love having the Elise, and wouldn't go back to owning the S2000 even though I wind up driving my beater a lot more often now. It is three times the driver's car.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 AM

I would bet 45% of Elise owners DD them...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered an '05 elise and walked away from it due to some problems with the dealership. Five years down the road, and I'm not regretting that decision at all. A buddy just picked up a used Elise, and driving it just reinforced it. I love the car, don't get me wrong, but getting out of it with the roof on is too much work for a daily driver, IMO. It's easier to get into and out of my race car, honestly.

Quick Reply: Anyone want an Elise but buy an S2000 instead?