Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone see on the science channel about Carbon

Old 07-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock,Jul 4 2006, 05:54 PM
only on s2ki

u post something, then they dont say anything about what u said but correct the spelling you did on a post that u typed in like 2 minutes thinking and typing at same time.. not looking over spelling..

then you post WTF and someone backs up the as.shole who didnt say anything about the OP but pointed out mistake

wish i could get my 20$ back sometime and put it to better use... maybe like pelting quarters at hobo's or something.. anything would be better than the 95% population of as.sholes on here
I dont know why you are calling me names when I never had bad intentions in the first place.

Sure is sad to see you get offensive since somebody exposed your 3rd grade spelling error.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Incubus,Jul 4 2006, 06:18 PM
I thought the triangle is the strongest shape. Where did you hear that about circles?
I believe he has a point. The fact that a circle has no corners is what makes it so strong. Ever notice how subway tunnels have circular supports as opposed to triangular ones?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incubus,Jul 4 2006, 06:18 PM
I thought the triangle is the strongest shape. Where did you hear that about circles?
That's not true... Triangles are the smallest about of straight edges that resemble a circle (kinda) because it distributes force equally into the middle. When building bridges, for example, its easier to make tons of triangles than tons of domes. A half-egg shell, for example, is a very strong structure but its hard to incorporate that for a lot of architecture.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,Jul 4 2006, 04:05 PM
MARCH 25, 2006
Nanotechnology moves into bicycles

Easton Sports, a manufacturer of sporting goods in the United States with a tradition of innovation, has just launched the world's first bicycle featuring nanotechnology products. The Van Nuys, California-based firm introduced the first aluminium products into sports equipment the 1930s and moved into composite materials in the 1980s (a little behind F1 technology at the time). Now, however, Easton is ahead of the game again with the launch of a bicycle featuring carbon nanotube technology. Carbon nanotubes are tiny cylinders of carbon atoms that have 100 times the strength of steel but weigh considerably less. Easton has used these materials to produce a bicycle frame called the SLC01 Pro Machine, which is 23% lighter than the previous lightest model, weighing in at just 960 grams.
The applications for such materials are widespread in motor racing, particularly as nanotubes conduct electricity as well as copper and are not affected by extreme heat.

Link:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16579.html
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM

i love nanotubes..

makes me wanna wait for the next GREAT car designed using them.. in like 4-5 years prolly.

imagine a .... 1500 lb "exige" powered by something similar to k20 powerband but w/ 350hp N/A

would be pure sex
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM

I'm playing with carbon nanotubes and nanofibers at work as material additives in paint-like coatings. They may be mass produced but they are still hell-a-expensive. Not all tubes are made equal and lots of people slap a "nano" label on stuff that barely deserves it.

Hard to work with (distributing uniformly in mixtures) and the health hazards are not well understood yet. But I'm sure the nano-future is bright because of what we've already demonstrated with 'em. Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" may not be that far away.