Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone read the may 07 Sport Rider?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone read the may 07 Sport Rider?

The new 600RR comes out ahead. All the test riders seem to rave about it anonymously. I wasn't surprised by this considering how light it is, and much better mid range. I did think that not having a slipper would stir up more negativity though.

Here's what's funny. They rated the R6 last over all and below the 600RR in every category. This is a big surprise to me and causes me to wonder if their opinions are financially biased. I was gonna wait to buy the RR, but since they didn't have a slipper, I went with a Raven R6. My point is only that it's a little hard to believe that the bike they raved about last year was rated the lowest, even considering other bikes in the round-up that had no updates since last years model.

I promise, I'm not just being bitter because they have disowned my bike. I get to ride different bikes with my friends, and I like something different about each of them. My favorites so far have been the R6, and the 636. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the new CBR one of these days. I know I'm gonna love it.

I look forward to reading the 600 shootout every year, and I just want to be able to rely on their opinions. What do you guys think?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

motorcycle-usa.com had the 600RR at the top as well. Pretty much everything I've read suggests that it has the strongest motor with the best midrange and it's still more comfortable than most of the bikes, yet just as sporty/dedicated.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM

yeah....although I respect Kunitsugu a great deal and value his opinion more than any other motorcycle journalist, the opinions expressed during literbike/supersport comparos by Sport Rider, as a magazine, are entirely his.
He even stated in a previous issue how they had worried about the streetability of future 600cc sportbikes if the trend started by the R6 (your bike) continued. I think that is why they placed the R6 last. Basically, the new 600rr demonstrated that the "R6 trend" was not necessary and that the fastest 600cc sportbikes can be streetable as well.

just my two cents...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM

If the winner was the new ZX-6R, I wouldn't be this shocked. With just pulling a wire from ECU, it goes to euro specs.
Honda makes great bikes, but IMO they are still too tame for 600cc sportbike. No slipper clutch in 2007??? Even pocketbikes have them(j/k)
Last place for R6 is a joke. With just Pc3 and full exhaust on every 600 in that test Yamaha would blow out the rest.
Matt.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Matt,

Have you even ridden a new CBR600RR? You seem pretty confident in the R6 for someone that probably hasn't tested the new Honda...

Also realize that the R6 is still the standard setter for handling and steering feel/quickness, it seems. It's just that the motor isn't quite as strong as the 600RR and it's driver friendliness is far worse in comparison to the minor superiority is has in the handling department over the 600RR.

Not one review I've read said the 600RR was the best at everything, only that it was best or 2nd best in just about every area. The R6 shines very strongly on the track and in terms of agility but it's still pretty high strung for street riding.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM

was the Daytona 675 in the test?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:53 PM

No, it wasn't, and that's the "old" champ for some magazines and online sites. Good observation.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Apr 11 2007, 12:50 PM
Matt,

Have you even ridden a new CBR600RR? You seem pretty confident in the R6 for someone that probably hasn't tested the new Honda...

Also realize that the R6 is still the standard setter for handling and steering feel/quickness, it seems. It's just that the motor isn't quite as strong as the 600RR and it's driver friendliness is far worse in comparison to the minor superiority is has in the handling department over the 600RR.

Not one review I've read said the 600RR was the best at everything, only that it was best or 2nd best in just about every area. The R6 shines very strongly on the track and in terms of agility but it's still pretty high strung for street riding.
I owned a 04 600 rr, was a total disappointment. I understand that the new one is better, but once you put an exhaust and pc3 on each bike, R6 is a real monster compare to the other ones. If you compare to the car world, kind of like a turbo vs n/a. Basic mods and totally different results. Power and weight wise.
Last year and this year every competitive privateer has been racing the new R6.
You might think I'm a yamaha fan since I own one, but actually I'm a Suzuki fan. Gsx-r1000 is the best overall sportbike(literbike) since 01.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM

I guess you'll just have to ride the new 600RR then and get back to us with your real world impressions.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 PM

I always go for what ever the magazines say is the fastest, if its a great trackbike I'm sure it will be great on the street. Especially since everyone who buys it will really be able to run it at 9/10ths at least on the road. Did that sound sarcastic?

Quick Reply: Anyone read the may 07 Sport Rider?