Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone own a Mini Cooper S?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I helped my g/f buy a used one last month. Researched and figured an 05/06 was the best one for her....an S, of course. Don't bother with the non-S version.

Interesting "battle" on northamericanmotoring.com over which is better--the R53 or the R56...not unlike our own AP1 vs. AP2 war...bottom line is both have their advantages.

She didn't want to spend over $18k, so she ended up with an 05 Cooper S with about 24k miles and a ton of options. Also, she bought it from a mini dealership to get the extended bmw/mini warranty, which I would suggest you do, too.

Because it is so modular, you should have her figure out what combination of colors/styles suits her best--the body, trim and roof colors can all be picked separately. Not to mention stripes. So there are many versions/variations of colors/styles to be had out there as used cars. Not to mention the large number of options available. Have her take her time and find just the right one (it's not like our S, with one trim level, few options and only 1 interior color per exterior color...lol!)

The car is like a go-kart! Fast! And easiest car I've ever had to park. Owned my S2000 for about 4 years now, not one ticket. I got a speeding ticket within 1 hour of taking delivery of her mini...

In fact we just got back from taking a 1200 mile trip with it this weekend....not one issue!

Good luck--I'm sure she'll love it!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually surprised today to see the new JD Powers info that had the mini now LAST... someone finally passed up Rover! That Smart car was also at the bottom. You would think cars that small wouldnt have problems (See Honda Fit).
Old 06-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jun 23 2009, 02:47 PM
I've seen pics of that Mini on the wrecker @ TWS. It rolled (not sure which way), and both side doors can unlocked and peeled back against the fenders. I forget whether or not they fell off completely.

Anyway, Minis are banned from PCA events @ TWS based on that incident. (I suppose it's only @ TWS because of the higher speeds and greater opportunity to hit walls and other fixed objects)

Page 7:
http://www.lsrpca.com/linked_docs/de/Multi...%20Handbook.pdf
thanks chris.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:44 PM

My friend has an S as a daily driver, and I drove it a bit. While it handles well, I don't care for the car overall.

First, I don't like retro designs. That's entirely subjective on my part, but I fail to see the reason for designing a 21st Century car to look like something out of the mid-20th Century. There's a difference in an homage to one's design heritage and pimping one's design heritage. It's a common objection I have to the VW New Beetle, the deceased Ford Thunderbird, the Dodge Challenger, the Ford Mustang and the Chevy HHR and Chrysler PT-Cruiser.

Second, the Minis are not known for their reliability. I suppose that unreliability is also a part of the heritage of the British car industry so perhaps this is to be expected with Minis.

Third, the back row of seats are utterly useless, like a bull with teats. What possible use could they be to anyone other than midgits whose legs have been amputated? So why even put them in the car. The Clubman is a bit more usable, but it's ugly.

Finally, the interior is just not up to snuff for a semi-premium priced car. The plastics look like rejects from a Chrysler factory. Single-handedly, Mini is jeopardizing the planet--what with the amount of hydro-carbons apparently used on the interior of each Mini.

The car handles well and is brisk in S trim. But at the end of the day, as a daily driver or as my only car, I would much rather have a GTI fully optioned with 18 inchers than a Mini.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Jun 23 2009, 05:46 PM
thanks chris.
x2 my english was on the fritz at work today
Old 06-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by triman54,Jun 23 2009, 07:44 PM
I would much rather have a GTI fully optioned with 18 inchers than a Mini.
we never under girl what's their definition of a "cute car"
which is also the top priority of their list.

some girl like yaris, some like cooper, or may be bettles...
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by MegaPower,Jun 23 2009, 09:26 PM
we never under girl what's their definition of a "cute car"
which is also the top priority of their list.

some girl like yaris, some like cooper, or may be bettles...
Could you translate this into American English with standard grammar? I can't figure out what you mean. Thanks.