Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone own an ISF?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by [DT
,Dec 1 2009, 11:21 AM] Whatever the price, I'd offer like $50 less. It sounds like the clock is broken.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kremlin,Dec 1 2009, 08:33 AM
How much should a '08 IS-F /w 10k on the clock go for?
Perfect condition... you should be able snag it for mid to high 40's... that would be decked out w/Mark Levenson and all the bells and whistles they typically ship them with... I've seen them roll out of a nearby auction for low 40's with under 5k on the clock but didn't see what kind of shape they were in...
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 25 2009, 11:17 PM
Well if the Toyo isn't the only one that locks you out when the car is moving then name the ones that do cause I don't want to buy them either.

Bimmer doesn't
Caddy doesn't
Nissan doesn't
Mazda doesn't

And yes your wife'd know the difference between the Z and Lexus. I've had 2 Zs and one Lexus. The Z does feel more like the Lexus than the S (which is why I don't own any Zs anymore) but it's not the same, the Z has soul the Lexus doesn't.
My wifes Jag XF does. And for the record I can use the nav while in motion provided I am going under 10mph.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Nov 27 2009, 03:32 PM
this is probably the least useful thread the OP could have asked for.
Unlike a lot of the people on this thread, I actually own an IS-F.
To address a couple of points:

1) there is an easy mod to enable the Nav while moving. Is it ghey that you have to do a mod, yes. Is having to mod it enough to make someone want to choose another car instead? IMO hell no.

2) The backseat is indeed tight, but I've had large people back there. It is by no means impossible or "unusable" by any stretch. I wouldn't drive any long distances back there, but it is perfectly fine for short trips. It's certainly easier and has more room than most 2+2s. If you really need a backseat that is outrageously comfortable, get a panamera.

3) IMO, and by most reports, the IS-F is much, much better at being a DD than the M3 or the C63. Better reliability, 50% better mileage, nicer interior appointments and build, noise level, and a tranny based on the LS make living with the car easy.

4) the IS-F isn't as fast around a track as the M3, and not as fast in a straight line as the C63. However, the 2010 IS-F adds an LSD, which should help narrow the gap in the former.

5) the IS-F rides pretty hard. Not ridiculous or anything, but there are roads I wish I had adjustable dampers for. Most of the time it goes unnoticed, however.

6) upshifts are, for all intents and purposes, as good as the M3. Maybe the numbers show microseconds of differences at the most aggressive m3 settings, but you'll never know driving the car. They're basically instantaneous. Downshifts are much slower in the F than in most DCT models, although still relatively quick. It still rev matches and everything, but you don't get the instantaneous action like you do in a DCT.

6) the IS-F is in a league of it's own in terms of value. Compare fully equipped prices and you'll realize how good of a value it really is.

7) you won't see a lot of Fs on the road, which is kind of nice when you're dropping a lot of coin on a car.

Hope that helps.
What he said.

Went on a road trip from Tampa to Orlando and avg'ed 24.5 mpg! That in itself is awesome for a car of this stature.

I love everything about the F and dombey pretty much hit all of the key points. I say drive one and you will be in love with what it has to offer.

Most important is the fact that you can own this car long term and feel safe with it slow depreciation unlike the C63 or out of warranty maintenance like BMW. If you go the German route you may want to lease IMO.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 AM

Duboseg...

Man, I've driven them, that's the problem. They are incredibly fun cars. I sold my '87 Grand National to buy an '08 and the local dealer played let's bump up the price game when I showed up with cash in hand to seal the deal... I had a hand shake, I'll be back when I sell the GN thing going... told them to have sex with themselves, took a drive over to the west coast and bought the S2000. Won't go into the whole I got to have an ISF story other than to say I really like the cars. Thinking I'm going to sit tight until a day or two after Christmas and, since there are a gaggle of F cars down in the southern part of the state, see what I can do...

I will, without a doubt, take a major bath should I trade the s2000 and the 09 350 to make this happen... but, in the long room, I will save a few bucks a year in insurance and upkeep by dumping one of my cars.

Also, if you could find the right car, it really makes sense to find a cherry, low mileage, pre owned car... 08 ISF's are rolling out of the local auction for around the mid-40's or a few even a few bucks less.

Orrrrrrr.... I may even order one without that useless Lexus NAV and possibly without a moon roof and save about five or six grand.... thinking dealers won't be too willing to negotiate on a special order as opposed to dumping a car that's been on their lot for a month or three.

Sorry for being wordy and I do appreciate the feedback...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

gaggle of F cars...... Nice one, KonaMan. Also, your acknowledgement of the major bath you'll take trading in an '08 S2000 and '09 IS350 for an IS-F, but then stating you'll save a few bucks on insurance and upkeep as justification to do the trade cracks me up too. Us car guys can come up with ANY argument to do a trade.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 2 2009, 07:56 AM
gaggle of F cars...... Nice one, KonaMan. Also, your acknowledgement of the major bath you'll take trading in an '08 S2000 and '09 IS350 for an IS-F, but then stating you'll save a few bucks on insurance and upkeep as justification to do the trade cracks me up too. Us car guys can come up with ANY argument to do a trade.
Sometimes I feel like I'm a master of rationalizing car purchases/trades. Threads like this remind me that I just learned it from fellow Car Talk junkies!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 AM

I dig on the IS-F (clock issues aside) quite a bit. I realize it may not have the driving/handling dynamics of an M3 and may not have as much "oomph" as the C63, but it's pretty close all around.

I also like the styling better in some ways even though it does have some quirky design elements. In my neck of the woods, I'd take a Lexus any day of the week over a BMW, just because of my direct experience both dealer networks. There's something about a Merc that doesn't appeal to me - I think I have a slight "misalignment" with the owner demographic (at least around here).

I think an IS-F in the mid 40's a pretty outstanding deal. I saw over on the IS boards, someone has am '08, silver/black, loaded, only ~1900 miles for $46K. It seems like that's also a price advtantage in the used market vs. the M & C cars[?]

I know you can strap on FI to anything (and there are all sorts of TT cars making the tuner/show circuit) but with 5.0L of displacement, I would think there's some outstanding NA performance potential.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I like the idea of owning a Lexus long-term and as such, I trust the IS-F more than the Merc or M3. However, I can't see myself buying it over an M3, regardless of potential reliability issues.

Thing is, you can get an IS-F (used) for about $10K less than a comparable M3 and that's significant money for most of us. That's pretty compelling if you mostly use it for daily driving to and from work and the occasional blast down a back country road (ie, what most of us do).
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the S and get the F, perfect cars to complement each other! What one lacks, the other gives.

Is the ride on the F a little "harsh"? Yes. Is it unbearable for a DD? No, way.

M3 and C63 I have test driven and considered, but thinking about keeping one past warranty just spooks me... That's me.

For all those "Magazine Racers" that never even sat in an F, much less driven one. Give it a spin, you would be amazed to find what you can't read about...

Quick Reply: Anyone own an ISF?