Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone out of the roadster scene?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone out of the roadster scene?

Let's go back in time to the early 2000's...

Miata, Boxster, Z3/Z4, S2000, SLK (and that Chrysler thingy)

Everything was new, seemed to be one step below the sports cars of the day, and at least 2 steps ahead of the sport compacts in terms of performance.

Most were light on there feet and really inspired you in some form or another

Now its a new decade and there is just the miata and boxster which haven't turned into a cushy GT drop top.

Of course the cars of today are way more powerful, have more electronics to help you in everything nowadays, the cars are bigger and now the cars are heavier.

Sure they are way easier to live with, maybe share more parts with the other manufactures offerings to save costs, but at the end of the day it just isn't the same for me.

Makes me appreciate the S2000 but to me it is very dated and I don't even consider wanting to buy one used as spending another 4-5 grand can get you into a vette/m3/evo/sti etc.

does anybody feel the same like me and hope for more drop top fun in our future?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM

I feel the same but you're going to need to dig into the past to get anything you want in a car if you're anything like me. The future looks bleak.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 PM

yeah I still think about getting a boxster s next. And I have thought about getting the wife an SLK. But the prices they get for those damned things!!
I guess I just feel more compelled to buy a kickass GT that has some measure of practicality (4 seats, a real trunk, long range comfort, etc) if I'm gonna drop such a big chunk of change.
In my mind it's easier to come to terms with the price of an XFR, RS5, E63, M5, GTR, at maybe 80-100k than it is to drop 60k on a roadster.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

thread.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM

I kinda want a Ferrari California. 'Cause I'm getting old and soft. Or an SL 63.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Nah I hear ya. I mean just looking at it from a durable perspective, for the dollar you really don't get much, especially with the s2000, I mean cmon, not even an aux input? But there are alot of intangibles and the fact that they're a risky proposition for manufacturers and relatively low sellers.
Anyway, with the S, I learned alot about what I like and don't like. I like torque, don't look cool in verts, sunburn easy, listen to music that doesn't fit in with my hometown (Oakland, I mean seriously who the hell likes that stupid black and yellow song or that cream on the inside clean on the outside song?), and generally don't like the feeling I'm camping in my car when I'm driving around at night, especially in the numerous sketchy spots my town provides. But the driving experience is my favorite and matches my driving style.
I dunno, it seems like these days a spartan car is just an excuse for higher margin, think that new porsche that doesnt even have ac and they charge you more for. I dunno, I think manufacturers realize they cant compete with older cars in terms of driving experience since those cars didnt have to adhere to today's standards, and instead just make a one size fit all car, i.e. more luxuries, torque, comfort, etc.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by UKXotics,Jan 7 2011, 08:37 PM
I kinda want a Ferrari California. 'Cause I'm getting old and soft. Or an SL 63.
Total chick car that California is.......yup
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by UC Gordon,Jan 8 2011, 04:25 AM
Total chick car that California is.......yup
And I'd drive it all day long.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:13 AM

We totally dig on having a roadster, especially in this area with our glorious weather In fact, we were out in it yesterday, cruising up A1A.

The S2000 gives me exactly what I want in a convertible. It's a great take on the classic roadster. For me, a roadster +is+ all about always having the top down, engaging with the road and everything outside the car.

If you want a little more "interior content", there's plenty of great alternatives in the Z4, Boxster or 911, and if you want a little more muscle car vibe the Corvette and Mustang. Heck, even a nice classic convertible.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:28 AM

An S2000 may be hard to live with as an only car, but I plan on always have at least one ragtop in my garage.

Quick Reply: Anyone out of the roadster scene?