Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone familiar with Wranglers?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mad pup,Jul 1 2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the helpful information!

I'll be sure to check the 4WD vacuum lines, suspension/body mounts, and transfer case skid.
And BTW when you do look at a TJ, there are no vac lines for the FWD. That is YJ only.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prnstr40,Jun 30 2010, 01:39 PM
I bought a slightly used 04 sport with some minor upgrades a few years ago to use as a DD and hated it. Its novelty wore off in about two weeks and I was dying to get rid of it after that. It literally felt like I was driving a brick. "Gutless", in the real world at least, is the perfect adjective to describe its power delivery - and that's the I6 version, not even the 4. I particularly don't mind poor MPG as long as there is a trade off in performance. With the Wrangler you get neither, 12-14mpg AND slow as a dog.

On the other hand, they do have a huge cult following so there must be something about them that people love. I just never found that something.
lol. Looking back, its seems that i only offered personal opinions about the wrangler and not really things to look out for. My sincere apologies...

Besides for the stuff you generally look for in a used automobile purchase (stellar maintenance records, grooved rotors, major services preformed, rotted exhaust, CEL, accident history/CARFAX...) Wrangler (TJ)specif stuff to look for include: undercarriage deterioration including frame and brake lines, dana 44's front and back as an option (big plus), extras (half doors/soft top...) , floor board rot due to leakage/ac blow back, body rust in the cills (behind plastics), hack job add ons, makesure you extensively test drive vehicles with suspension modifications (death wobble!/drive line vibes). If you are looking for a DD, i would try and stay away from something that has been wheeled or jacked up. If you are looking to strictly wheel or for a third vehicle, I would be looking for the most radical thing i could find for the dollar.

Common sense and logic prevail as with all auto purchases. Good luck with your new vehicle.